1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SW earthquake!!??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tcBob, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I do too!

I just HATE how LA got all the freaking attention AGAIN. Fuck LA and how the media goes into a frenzy every time something goes on in SoCal. Nothing happened there!!

Meanwhile, one man was killed and there was moderate damage in the towns of Calexico and Mexicali (you know, where the quake actually happened). I didn't see CNN report that. :rolleyes:

2. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Somewhere in baja, i know there was a 5.1 after shock in imperial city right next to Ocotillo Wells

3. Apr 4, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I was actually in my Taco!!!
    just stopped at a red light and the truck was shaking a little,I hit my brakes harder cuz I thought it was that goddamn auto tranny lurch.
    but that didn't do a thing, that's when I realized it was a quake.

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    It was my first one, I pulled up to where my wifey was parked and felt the shaking and for like 15sec couldn't figure it out. Thought there was something wrong with my truck, looking all around and shifting my gears tilshe told me. The I also realized I have a Taco; Taco=meteorproof, meteorproof=earthquake proof right?

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 2:14 AM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    I felt it too, sitting in my truck in a parking lot in National City,CA. All of sudden my truck starts swaying back and forth. I'm looking around like who's messing with my truck?? :D

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    cnn got a lot of mail saying, "Who cares about water swishing around in a pool.. what happened at the site?!!!"

it was pretty funny

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
  8. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    We didnt feel anything in IL:D

9. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  10. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Oh, I also died. It was that bad.

11. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    We were at the San Diego Wild Animal Park in San Pasqual Valley (near Escondido), and did not feel a thing, nor did anyone else around us that we could tell... When we boarded the tram ride to see the animals, the driver mentioned how the animals may be reacting to the quake... and then we started getting phone text messages from our kids, who all felt it. My son was in a game store in San Diego and said stuff was falling from shelves...

Because I am a Baja Traveler/ Camper... I am reading Baja message boards and watching the local San Diego TV news who has crews in Calexico... Calexico downtown was closed, the border crossing was closed there, big damage to stores, windows, buidings. Across the border in Mexicali, much worse... Highways from Mexicali to San Felipe and Tijuana both closed (but some are getting through) from cracks, landslides, bridges damaged. The quake was re-calibrated as a 7.2 and the northern movement of Baja and Alta California has added stress to other faults causing them to let loose and quake.

Look at a map of western Mexico and note how the Baja California peninsula was once part of the mainland of Mexico... over millions of years, the peninsula has moved away from the rest of Mexico and northward... creating the Gulf of California. Yesterday, the gulf got a little bit bigger!

12. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    BigBawlzTaco

BigBawlzTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Im in GA....
    Nothing cool happens here...
    :pout:

13. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    It was pretty cool but kinda freaky.

I was down in Rosarito (Baja california for those that don't know) at my aunts condo right on the edge of the water. It's an 8 story building and we were on the 6th floor. Everything started shaking for about 20 seconds then we felt the building just swaying back and forth for about a minute. We all started going down the stairwell as quickly as possible. After about 15 minutes, we went back up and then the first aftershock hit about 10-15 minutes after and everybody got pretty nervous again but no damage.

It's deffinitely not fun to be on the 6th floor of a building that is right on the edge of the water. Her condo has about a 180° view of the ocean with mostly windows and no walls facing the ocean. So it was freaky to feel the bldg swinging back and forth and looking out the window you just see the ocean :eek:..

Facing South along the coastline:

[​IMG]

Facing NorthWest along the coastline:

[​IMG]

14. Apr 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Maybe share that story with the Baja Nomads? Lot's of talk there!

Thanks for your report...

15. Apr 5, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    baja nomads? is that on your 'baja' webpage?

16. Apr 5, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well, it is linked on my page... it is a forum like TW, but for Baja related subjects/ interests http://forums.bajanomad.com . My web site is http://VivaBaja.com which is where I have my trip photos and links to other Baja web sites, maps, history, etc.

17. Apr 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    There was damage to the Sheraton Hotel in San Diego

7.2 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes San Diego

(Jim Grant, San Diego )
    "We had a good quake down here [San Diego]. The Sheraton hotel on Harbor Island Dr. had damage...1200 rooms evacuated.....engineers with fire rescue had to examine the building. The top floors will not be re opened," said Jim Grant

See page #33 here:
    http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-pg-earthquake-4-4-10,0,2692565.photogallery

18. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    This You Tube was posted by 'Sancho' on Baja Nomad... a group driving to Mexicali from San Felipe pull over when the earthquake hits and send clouds of dust of the nearby mountain range!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKVIW6lymM

ms4jahApril 05, 2010 — Originally posted by Sarahklaus21. She said: "We were driving on the highway just south of Mexicali when the earthquake started to sway our car back and forth. We pulled over to watch huge amounts of dust be kicked up in the mountains and ride out the rest of the shaker."

These Americans were on the road from San Felipe To Mexicali right in the heart of the epicenter of the earthquake, they pulled over and saw the huge clouds of dust beginning to rise from the rocks in the steep mountain range. These are the same dust clouds seen in my satellite time lapse videos. I posted this here because it complemented my Satellite imagery.

Now, here is someone pointing out on the live weather satellite image the very same dust cloud, from space:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_RPvhUKJY&NR=1

19. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
  20. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    ROADHOG

ROADHOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD Offroad fully loaded
    Big block Chevy engine(just kidding)
    I left Glamis 2 hrs before it hit heading back to Phoenix and didn't feel a thing.Maybe cause I was driving(?)......don't know.Friends in San Diego had their house shaking though.

Products Discussed in

To Top