1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swapping a 2.7L to either a V6 or V8

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rockinray, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:26 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    In my own research I haven’t come across that combo. Any ideas where to look?

2. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:30 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    There is nothing wrong with automatics. Do you realize in 10 years there will be no manual trannies made? They are being phased out. Taking a tranny designed for a 4 banger and mating it to a v6 or v8 can lead to problems. The v8 will tear that tranny up. If you think buying a newer truck is too speedy, wait til you see the bill for all the fabrication and parts needed for a swap.

3. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Maybe. The R155 transmission has a lot in common with the R154 that many use in Supra builds. It’s been used it pretty high horsepower builds.

Can we stick to just giving actual facts, not conjecture and opinions. I’m interested in this topic too, but these threads always dissolve into everyone telling the OP their opinion why they shouldn’t do it. We know, everyone thinks it’s too expensive and pointless and dumb and resale value something something something. But if one were to do it, what and how?

4. Oct 8, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    Rick's 2012

Rick's 2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Costa Rica
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab 4x4 Grey with leather
    Stock
    l wasn't intending to talk someone out of the engine swap. It's just that nowadays it's a big legal hoop to jump through in some jurisdictions. I'd love to keep posted on the swap if the OP was to proceed. I've read other posts on this swap and it seems like long prices if one wants to do it economically.

Hey OP.. I was wondering if you happened to go onto youtube and search for Tacoma V8 engine swaps. ??? l think there's a few video series following the exact swap you are thinking about!!!!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

5. Oct 9, 2019 at 3:00 AM
    rockinray

rockinray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    Never thought of trying YouTube, will have a look. Thanks.

6. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    cedarpangolin

cedarpangolin So country I bleed cedar sap.

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 2.7L
    1.5" wheel spacers, 2.5 front and 1" rear leveling kit, AFE Dry drop in filter, Thrush Glasspack Cherry Bomb exhaust, Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires Soon to be: bully aluminum side steps, plastidip emblems
    It’s fine to want what you want... but it’s not fine to not accept that it’s unrealistic. Unless OP has a solid 15 grand to throw out on a project that most likely will not ever run as smoothly as a factory made half ton truck, then go for it, but between wanting a v8, stick, Toyota (somehow...) etc you’re talking about making a frankentruck that may or may not work well and would surely cost more than it’s worth.
    Again, project for kicks just to blow some cash and time on? Props. Realistic solution to your needs? Nope.

Gen3TacomaOBX and TacomaMike37 like this.
  7. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:47 AM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Again, here we are speculating. It sounds like you really have never done an engine swap, probably have no idea what it actually costs and don’t have any ideas how to do it cheaper. You know nothing about his financial situation. He already stated he was ok with spending a significant about of money. Let him decide if it’s worth it. Stop trying to make the decision for him.

Sorry for jumping all over your post but this is a constant issue in these types of threads. Everyone piles on to nah-say everything without any actual knowledge or facts. I think we are all interested in seeing a full write up with associated costs for several options. Hopefully, we can include tips, tricks, and work arounds for common issues.

8. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    Just sell the truck and stop the non sense talk of a swap.

Muddinfun likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    He said he was okay with spending money but a few sentences before he says he doesnt like the price of new trucks. Which one is it?!?

Gen3TacomaOBX likes this.
  10. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    rockinray

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    I have no issue with putting 10 to 15 grand in to a swap. I have a hard time justifying spending 30 to 50 grand on a new or used truck just for some extra pulling power. The truck has paid for itself and it's solid. Why not keep it and do something about the horsepower issue than spend a truckload of money on a new truck or a used one that I know nothing about how it was looked after.

11. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:47 AM
    rockinray

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Wow, it seems like what I am asking here has never been done by anyone on here. I asked for anyone who has done it to get good or bad feedback on it. Other than a few people offering a bit of positive encouragement, all I am getting is people who think it is a better solution to sell this off and but a new truck. Guess I will have to search elsewhere to maybe get the info and answers I am looking for to make my own decision.

dirty deeds likes this.
  12. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    Anyone trying to get rid of the 'bullet proof' 4 banger needs to try gears, locker, clutch, and a header before they decide.

No, it won't beat that Cobalt or Jeep shitbox off the line, but you probably should have more sense than that. I wheel with almost all v6 tacos, not once has there been an issue WHATSOEVER related to the displacement of the 2tr-fe. Before or after the mods, til I smoked my clutch anyway...

13. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    ^^^Do this^^^
    Don't sell.

14. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    This forum isn't really the best place to look for that kind of information. When I did my 4wd swap, I pretty much got the same kind of responses. Every thread I read about it was filled with the same thing. Everyone speculated it would cost $10k and not be worth it, that the truck would not work well afterward, would not be reliable or would lose all it's value. It cost me about $2k to do the conversion (less than the taxes on a new truck). I'm at about 120k miles since my conversion. Couldn't be happier. Don't let this forum discourage you. Do the research and then make a decision.

weeksz and rockinray[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  15. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    Honestly I'd look at buying a wrecked v6 MT Taco, make sure it has the ECU and everything. Rip it out, part out what you don't need for cash, and then get to work figuring out how to make it all line up.

16. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Idk man. I love my 4banger, but climbing some of the steeper grades in the Appalachian mountains in WV and MD makes me wish for a V6. I have 4.88's and 33's and my truck struggles to go 65mph on the hwy if there is any elevation change. In the mountains, I'm screaming the motor to maintain 50mph. I'm scared of what it would be like if I every roadtrip it out west at high elevation on even steeper roads.

rockinray[OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    TW likes to spend other people's money as long as it's on things the forum has a consensus on. If it's hard or might make it so they can't easily sell their truck a lot of people here will scream bloody murder that it's a terrible idea.

rockinray[OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Bingo. I think you articulated my thoughts better than I could myself. Thanks.

frenchee likes this.
  19. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    CustomTacos forum might be a better place for research. TW is a good resource for bolt on shocks and armor, for intense fab work and/or major mods it definitely doesn’t have the audience. We’re a forum of bolt on building.

That said, some people do show up here after the fact and then everybody faps themselves blind. I think there is a couple guys with V8 regular cab builds, you might try and search their threads out and see if they have any info for you privately. Good luck!

frenchee, Minimag95 and rockinray[OP] like this.
  20. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    A turbo will be cheaper and easier than a 4.0 or 4.7 swap and make more power js... The 2tr has forged internals and the same block as the 3rz right? Also there are a few companies that make turbo manifolds for it so fabrication is half way done already for a couple hundred bucks...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Jcyr[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top