1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swing Out Tire Carrier DIY build

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Connorvan, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Jan 16, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    315 75 16 Toyo MTs DIY Bed Rack Smittybuilt RTT Dirt King SUA Kit Custom Long Travel hangers and shackles Shackle flip King 16" Triple BP Shocks King 2.0 x 2.0 bumps Dirt King Frame box kit. Rebuilt rear cross member with 1.75" DOM Deaver H70HD leafs Polk Audio speakers F/R Handmade ported sub box for 10" sub Rockford Fosegate 1000W RMS amp TJM Front Bumper, custom DOM bull bar. Fabd Steel high clearance bumper Amber fogs Smitty Built 9500lb XRC winch King 2.5 with #700 coils Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers Icon Delta Joint UCA Thor cowl intake Fuck mud flaps and wheel liners. Switch pro mount and blue ray systems buss bar Dual audio double DIN head unit JD fab battery tray Alpharex Head/Tail lights Prinsu Roof racks Cab and Camper Don’t tread on me sticker for extra HP
    Starting a new thread here.
    I know there are a few DIY swing out threads on here which i learned a lot from. I will be building off my DIY HCRB which can be found at this link if you want to check it out: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/gen-2-homemade-high-clearance-rear-bumper.680194/

Materials for swing out:
    -19' Stick of 1.75" .120 wall tubing $70
    -4x innovations latch https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Latch-Assembly_p_110.html $68
    -4x innovations small gussets https://www.4xinnovations.com/15x15x14-Gusset-Package-of-4_p_97.html $5
    -4x innovations tube cap ends https://www.4xinnovations.com/Tube-Cap--15inch-Diameter--Set-of-4_p_100.html $4
    -4X innovations spring pin https://www.4xinnovations.com/Spring-Pin-and-Weldable-Barrel-_p_144.html $18
    -A bunch of my own CAD designed, laser cut parts (including the tire plate, some gusset angled gussets, and spindle parts. $80
    -1/2-13 6" bolt and nylon locking nut. $5
    - bushings - free from work
    -lots of time
    Total cost so far: $250

I really tried to use 4X innovations where I could. Their parts are proven and priced well IMO. Check them out if you haven't. I also called Adam at 4X innovations and told him I was building a swing out and he was happy to supply me with some critical dimensions before my latch, spring pin, and laser cut parts arrived. Huge help so thank you Adam.

The first part I made was the spindle. No I didn't use a fancy smancy 1000lb axle bearing, 4X innovations carries them too. I was on a budget for this build and still broke from xmas. SO I made my own spindle using some spare 1.75" DOM.
    I started by machining a few bushings at my works CNC. They came out great and made a few extras. They slip into a 4" long 1.75" .120 wall piece of DOM tubing. 1/2" hole (.510" to be exact)
    upload_2021-1-16_13-15-43.jpg
    upload_2021-1-16_13-16-11.jpg

I was super excited to get all my laser cut parts in and parts from 4x innovations. I was finanly able to start assembling and welding.
    This pic was after I welded the first bar to the spindle, welded the spindle gussets to the bumper, and the latch catch bar to the bumper.
    upload_2021-1-16_13-19-37.jpg
    upload_2021-1-16_13-20-8.jpg
    upload_2021-1-16_13-20-34.jpg

Also, don't hate the welds. I am still using flux core here. I know i need gas shielded. Its coming in the near future.

Late night last night and here is the current status:
    bent the one bar to have a 120 degree abuse angle, 8" radius.
    cut all the support bars and tacked them in place.
    Welded the tire carrier and support gussets almost all the way.
    and drank beer.
    upload_2021-1-16_13-23-36.jpg
    upload_2021-1-16_13-24-7.jpg
    Tire should be at a 5 degree angle, but we will see. I think the slight rake on my truck messed up my measurement and my tire will end up being more vertical. I guess I have to be ok with that.

It swings open and latches closed nicely.
    I bought an extra spring pin from 4X to hold the gate open at 90 and 115 degrees.

More progress pics to come.

2. Jan 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    JMcFly

JMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Looks good.

Connorvan[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2021 at 5:40 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    315 75 16 Toyo MTs DIY Bed Rack Smittybuilt RTT Dirt King SUA Kit Custom Long Travel hangers and shackles Shackle flip King 16" Triple BP Shocks King 2.0 x 2.0 bumps Dirt King Frame box kit. Rebuilt rear cross member with 1.75" DOM Deaver H70HD leafs Polk Audio speakers F/R Handmade ported sub box for 10" sub Rockford Fosegate 1000W RMS amp TJM Front Bumper, custom DOM bull bar. Fabd Steel high clearance bumper Amber fogs Smitty Built 9500lb XRC winch King 2.5 with #700 coils Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers Icon Delta Joint UCA Thor cowl intake Fuck mud flaps and wheel liners. Switch pro mount and blue ray systems buss bar Dual audio double DIN head unit JD fab battery tray Alpharex Head/Tail lights Prinsu Roof racks Cab and Camper Don’t tread on me sticker for extra HP
    Done! Used Bed liner for the protective coating. It swings out and latches properly. There is a little bit of bounce with the weight of the tire that makes me nervous. However, I am thinking of ways to triangulate the swing-out back to the truck for more rigidity while driving. But for now shes done! Tire out of the bed - check
    upload_2021-1-26_17-37-24.jpg
    upload_2021-1-26_17-40-26.jpg

4. Feb 11, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    Gswain

Gswain Eastern sierra living

Member:
    Been getting any rattling or squeaking of the swingarm? Looks good.

5. Feb 11, 2021 at 12:59 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    No squeaking. The Delrin bushings have a pretty low coefficient of friction.

I do get some rattling though if I hit a bump. Against my better judgment, I did try around 30mph down a pretty rutty dirt road while watching the tire in the rear view and it looked fine, I couldn’t hear the rattling over the sound of the truck but I am sure it was rattling. Haven’t quite figured out where it contacts though. I think the extra weight on a cantilever is actually causing the bumper to hit something underneath.

my plan to solve it is to get one of those relentless fab tailgate reinforcements and somehow tie the carrier into a low profile latch to the tailgate. That way I would have three points of contact and achieve triangulation. I’ll definitely post pics and a small write up if I get it to that point.

hope that helps.

6. Oct 6, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    Billison_

Billison_ Why does beer pair so well with wheeling?

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    ‘01 Ext Cab With Spension
    I changed the air freshener to a new one, one time.
    How’s the latch? Was planning on adding that to my swing out and I want a really tight fit so no rattling. Seemed pretty stout.

7. Oct 24, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    PaulCT7

PaulCT7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM Limited
    Great looking build! I am still weighing options on HCRB but know that I want a swing out to reclaim my bed space. The 33" spare currently lives in the bed and eventually I hope that will be 35", so need a plan.

8. Feb 4, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    heard4it

heard4it Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport access cab
    Nice build!

9. Aug 18, 2022 at 3:07 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    The latch from 4x4 innovations is strong. No issues so far. Sorry for the late ass reply. But at least you know it’s still going strong lol

10. Oct 1, 2022 at 5:41 PM
    gg20

gg20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    looks good, love seeing DIY projects

11. Oct 6, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    01tacoruben

01tacoruben Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ruben
    Ontario, California
    Vehicle:
    01 white tacoma extra cab 3.4 manual 4x4
    6inch Fabtech lift. 33 inch tires
    Looks good I’m thinking of making one for my Tacoma.

12. Oct 17, 2022 at 5:12 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    thanks!

13. Oct 17, 2022 at 5:14 PM
    Connorvan

Connorvan [OP] Fasha

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR DCSB
    so nice having a full sized spare that isnt in or under the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top