1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switchable (not ACC) 12V Power to Bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jamestcurran, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Apr 8, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    jamestcurran

jamestcurran [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on wiring up 12V outlets to the truck bed

My plan is to run 12 AWG fuse it at 15Amp, and have a switch (separate from the ignition) in the dash. The idea is that I don't need to leave it always-on, but I also don't need to worry about locking my keys in the cab...

Given the modest current, I could run it though a 20Amp rated rocker switch on the dash, or use one of the OEM style switches that drive a relay.

My questions is about using a relay. From bench top testing that I have done i see that relays run about 90 Ohm, or about 130 mA. Is this a lot to have on for a whole day without the engine running? It seems like a lot of added parasitic draw just to keep some sockets hot in the bed.

Would I be better of with a simple rocker switch? Is there such a thing as a low-draw relay? What do other folks do?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Apr 8, 2024 at 2:24 PM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    The relay wouldn't be drawing any power if the switch was off. And if it's on, I'd assume it's because you are using 12v power, and anything you plug in is going to use more than that .13 amps. Or am I missing something from your explanation?

ridefreak likes this.
  3. Apr 8, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    130ma is a very small amount of current, some car alarms can pull 500ma and a stereo with keep alive voltage is probably pulling 60ma when it's off. I wouldn't worry about that level of a draw when it comes to the vehicle battery. Compared to what the circuit itself uses, the 150ma will likely will be a very small compared to that.

YF_Ryan likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2024 at 2:42 PM
    jamestcurran

jamestcurran [OP] Member

Member:
    Thank you both, yes, that's a fair point it's a small draw. I think I'll go with the relay so.

I was a little paranoid as I have had a few occasions where I left a dome light on in the back of an SUV while on vacation and arrived back to the airport to a dead battery.

Appreciate the super-fast responses. I'll post back here with the WIP/result.

YF_Ryan[QUOTED] and Steves104x4 like this.
  5. Apr 8, 2024 at 2:44 PM
    ridefreak

ridefreak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB TRD
    minor tweaks
    Some dome lights can be almost an amp.

6. Apr 9, 2024 at 1:42 AM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
  7. Apr 9, 2024 at 2:13 AM
    jamestcurran

jamestcurran [OP] Member

Member:

Wow, fantastic idea! I never heard of those.
    Just working on this now, had a SPST relay in the parts bin so starting with that - but also just ordered one of those time delay ones.

8. Apr 9, 2024 at 6:19 AM
    VXEric

VXEric Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Worcester, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 ACS V6 6 Spd TRD Sport
    265/70/17 ATs on 17x8"wheels and 0 offset Morimoto XB LED Fogs Reinforced tailgate 2011 Honeycomb grille URD Short Shifter and cue- ball style knob
    Sounds like you have a good solution but just to give you some more info, 130mA seems high for a relay, I always thought they were down closer to 50mA. But even at 130, that's about 3.1 Ah per day that its on.

Your battery should be around 80 Ah capacity, higher if you went AGM or a group 27. Ideally you want to keep thr battery above 70% for starting and to prevent long term damage so you'd have 7-8 days with the relay on before there would be any real concern.

9. Apr 9, 2024 at 7:49 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    55-60 Ah is more like it if running a standard lead acid group 27, and it's possible the OP's Taco is running a smaller 24 depending on his truck's trim.

My 27F Optima AGM was only 66, and current 27F X2 Power AGM is 92AH. A deep cycle will let you get down to 50%, but as you said, only dropping to 70% is about as low as you'd want on a standard lead acid.

Personally, I highly recommend a deep cycle AGM (plus voltage booster), but it's probably a waste for most people.

VXEric[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top