1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switchback LED problem...need help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cadman33619, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 9, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    cadman33619

cadman33619 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all,

not long ago i did the Switchback LED signal light/DTRL mod. it looks great but i'm having an issue. Whenever I step on the brake, the drivers side light goes out. When i release the brake it goes back on.

i do have an issue with the drivers side brake light that i've temporarily fixed. the brake light socket contact seems to be worn down and not making good contact with the bulb. i've manages to lift the contact a little so that it tuches the bulb. the brake light works now but its not a permanent fix. i'm not sure if this is causing the front LED light issue or not.

any suggestions would be great

thanks

a little while ago i noticed another problem...when i turn on the signal lights (eother side), the amber flashes normally but the white flashes in between the amber for a split second.

2. Mar 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    fshams

fshams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    I just did the Fog light Mod myself about a month ago and noticed the same issue. You are getting electrical spike, so one or both lights will go off each time you press on the brake. You probably haven't noticed it yet but the same think happens when you first go in to reverse gear. This is not as big of an issue as the lights flashing when you brake.
    The only way to fix it is to replace the rear brake lights with LED. It corrected the issue with mine and everyone else here...

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    cadman33619

cadman33619 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've read that others have added a "beefy-er" ground from the rear drivers signal light to the chassis to correct the issue. I've added one and so far it seems to have corrected the issue. I'll keep an eye on it and see

Thanks

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    amp3d

amp3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    I too am having the same issue as everyone else with the driver side light turning off when put in reverse or hitting the brake...

That said, I have tried everything I could with creating a beefier ground on the rear right taillight and the problem still persists.

I've tried creating a fresh ground to the rear right turn signal as well as the brake light, together and seperately and neither helped.

Coming out of the wiring harness there is multiple grounds, and the ground in the harness seems to loop back into the harness as well.

Which ground wire did you guys beef up?

5. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    fshams

fshams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD/TX PRO - DCSB
    I replaced the rear brake lights with LED and the problem resolved.

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    Is it possible you need to add some Resistors? Since LED's don't pull nearly as much current, it could be confusing the relays... See my sig for my LED build where I had to add some resistors for interior lighting...

7. Jan 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    amp3d

amp3d Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner TRD
    I'm still having the switchback issue with the left light turning out. Changing the ground wire didn't seem to work.

Would a regulator like this work you guys think?

Pop this on the turn signal wire at the front make sure the only voltage that goes thru is greater than 3v?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=160911382248&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=17106248216

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top