1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switched from 87 octane to 91

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AR_Taco, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

Sorry dude, but...you wish. :(

Hell I wish. :(

2. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

3. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    When using 91 octane Toyota rates the 4.0 as having 239 hp and 278 lb ft of torque so I'd think his estimates are closer to reality than fiction (although I'd agree that the hp estimate is likely optimistic). No shame in those numbers for a V6 though (especially the torque) and I have no complaints with the mileage given the power on tap.

I also run 91 and am averaging just over 20 mpg in mixed driving. This is on a virtually brand new engine so it will still get better.

4. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    If i run 87 in either of my trucks they knock and ping bad, with 91 the run like a mofo

5. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Somewhat related to this thread. Yesterday I filled up with 91, had about a 1/4 tank of 87/89 prior to fill up. Today I took a trip up to Big Bear (local mountain) from sea level up to about 8k. Took highway 38 both up and down. Did very minor off roading on some trail. Took it easy on the pedal compared to my normal driving.
    Best mileage so far-20mpg calculated from an excel spreadsheet and scanguage.

Other than today I don't normally see an increase and I have used 91 on a regular basis when fuel prices went down.

6. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:58 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    i've been running 87 since the day i got it on sept 07 and have kept records of mileage at every fillup. i live in california, where 10% of our gas is ethanol.

i ran 91 for two months back in nov and dec when gas took a nose dive. i did not notice ANY improvement....?:confused: mileage was exactly the same, ~20mpg...

you guys that are saying your getting 1-2 mpg better, are you taking into account more than one tank since you switched? cause i have gotten 21, then 18, then back to 20 on successive tanks of 87. just wondering if you actually have sufficient data when you say that you have gotten the mileage increase...

7. Jun 22, 2009 at 4:14 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Research numbers, not at the tires.

Course, I'm not sure about the engine testing conditions where they garner these ratings. Could be that they're hooked up to something even more friendly airflow/exhaust flow wise when they do the lab ratings. In that case, yes, my guesstimates would be high.

8. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    IIRC the 4 banger does not have the same computer thats on the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder does not adjust the timing with higher octane fuel for higher horsepower the way the 4.0 does. I think you are just wasting 25-30 cents per gallon.

9. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Is there any benefit to running 93 instead of 91?

Everyone on this thread is using 91 but we don't have that around here. I use 93 and DEFINITELY notice the extra kick in my 4.0L auto. I ran about 5 tanks of 87 before switching and was averaging 15.5mpg (mostly city around the hills of western PA). I have used 2 tanks of 93 and appear to be getting 16.8mpg so far. I am tracking with a spreadsheet to get an average over 10 tanks.

I like the Shell V-Power 93 and am sticking to that.

10. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    the extra mpg doesn't pay for itself if you get a higher octane if you are only getting 1 or 2 more mpg.

what good things would higher octane gas do for my engine other than a little more umph (which i don't really need) and higher mpg (which the extra cost cancels out so i wouldn't be doing that to save money)

11. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I was thinking at the tires....My bad. :eek:
    The new rateings are aquired with the engine tested with OEM exhaust, intake, and all accesorize....:)

12. Jun 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

:)

13. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Yes, for the past eight tanks of 93 I have consistently gotten over 20 (20.3-21.4) mpg. Before with 87 I would range anywhere from 16-19, also making me question the consistency of the 87. The tanks I ran with premium never deviated more than around 1.1

14. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    At 2.79 per gallon for 87 I get 19mpg average. I would need to get just over 2mpg improvement (or 21mpg) at $3.09 per gallon for higher octane just to break even on the wallet. Not even sure what the higher octanes are going for but I figured about $0.30 more per gallon. So unless the engine is going to benefit from the higher octane, I can't imagine seeing that much better performance to justify a break even scenario in the wallet. You're definately not going to save any money at the pump because there is no way anyone will see over 2pmg improvement.

15. Jun 22, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!

exactly.... that's why i was hoping someone could list some of the benefits to the engine to justify the extra cost for me

16. Jun 22, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    well, from my understanding, the ECU messes with the timing a little bit so that you dont knock (predetonate). that is the sole reason for using a higher octane fuel in a higher compression ratio engine, so that it wont predetonate. but if the ECU messes with timing, the 87 is/has been good for me!!

17. Jun 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Gotcha. In that case X3 :D:D:D

18. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Higher octane fuel has more combustible material (octane) and thus tends to burn cleaner, so it could help prevent buildup of waste materials in your engine. The tighter tolerances of the refining process also help prevent dilution of the fuel with other stuff.

It won't necessarily add power (you may even lose a little using an octane higher than what your engine was spec'd with), but it probably won't subtract enough to be noticeable either. Usually a slightly higher octane rating adds a little power until you get WAY over what the engine was rated for (i.e. 93 octane in an engine rated with 85 or 87). This is because octane is essentially resistance to burn/detonation, so higher octane fuels can be maximally compressed by the engine before detonation. However, compression ratio in motor vehicle engines is set, and most 87 rated engines have relatively low ratios. Therefore, with high high octane fuel in these types of engines, you may just be making it that much harder for the engine to detonate properly, losing power because of it.

Generally speaking, it's best to get as close as possible to the octane rating the engine was researched at. V6 Taco's had their engine spec'd with 91, but all we have around here is 89 or 93. I go with the 93...I'd rather have too much combustible material than not enough. Two over is better than two under I'd say.

19. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.

Why does the manual say to use 87?

20. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Well, firstly, I can only speak to the V6 current model Tacos - the 1GR-FE engine. It was spec'd at 91. If that's what your truck is packing, read the owner's manual again - it says "87 octane or higher". 87 is the minimum.

Products Discussed in

To Top