1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switched to mobil one sythetic!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bajaTACO2008, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    bajaTACO2008

bajaTACO2008 [OP] Member

Member:
    ORANGE COUNTY
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD with the Baja toyota Package
    COMING SOON
    whats up Guys took ur advice and switch from reg oil to the mobile 1 syntehtic oil and filter.... truck runs way better like a strong smoother v8 with a nicer throttle responce...... not as much of a stress trottle sound..... but yea i def. recommend mobil 1 synthetic:cool:

2. Jan 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I have used 5-w30 mobil 1 for everything i own, but recently i have herd the valveline pure syntec is better? Same price so im going to try it for my next oil change. Mobil 1 is the shiz! I do love that oil.

3. Jan 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I was using the Valvoline Syntech and loved it then put the Mobil 1 synthetic in at the last oil change. I'll be changing my oil much sooner than the 5K interval to get this crap out of my engine. It is nowhere near as smooth as it was with the Valvoline. Just my experience. I've heard others have loved the Mobile 1...

4. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    1 bad tacoma

1 bad tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    rustburg Va
    Vehicle:
    05 trdsport 4x4
    grapics, 6" fabtech lift, volant intake with ram air scoop, cleared head lights, chrome kit, westin bull bar and steps, custom toyota emblem, throttle body spacer, flomaster 40 series, dick cepeck black and sliver dc1s, trd seat covers, thrid brake light cover, chrome tail lights
    i'm running royal purple and a k&n oil filter and it seems to do a great job better than quaker state Syntech

5. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    roggs01

roggs01 Roggs01

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    Predator steps and tonneau cover
    Question: How often do you change your oil when running synthetic? Is it the same period and do you really feel the diff

6. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Gawd I love oil threads :rolleyes:

7. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    Some people claim that you can go longer between changes. It will void your warranty if you do but if you're out of the warranty period that doesn't really matter. The big issue, as I understand it, is consumption. All engines consume oil. Our Toyotas, as a general rule, consume much less than other manufacturers but still list consumption as 1 quart per 5K (I think). Even with the oil at the same level, about 1/5 of the volume is no longer oil if the consumption level is correct. At that point it's time to change it.

Of course, my father-in-law swears by synthetic and goes 15K between changes on his early 90 Taco and it's still running like it was new.

8. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    carolinyens

carolinyens Creedmoor Connections

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    TRD CAI, TRD SS, Toyota All Weather Mats, Eagle Eye Halos, NST Crankshaft Pulley, ScanGauge II, TRD Shiftball, TRD SeatCovers, WeatherTech Vent Visors, 20% tint, DTLT's and NST pulley combo.
    I run AMS Oil 5W-30 and I change it once a year(since I dont put 25k miles on it every 6 months) and change the oil filter,Toyota brand, once every 6 months. Check to see if it says anything about the mileage.

9. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    CharlieX

CharlieX Well-Known Member

Member:
    FWIW, my wife's new mercedes runs on synthetic and they recommend service only every 10,000 miles. Yeah. That's a lot of miles between oil changes.

can't tell the difference in my Tacoma. Regular oil vs synthetic seems similar in terms of feel and noise.

10. Jan 5, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    aberdeen, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    i just go to wal-mart and get the 5 gt jug and the 1 qt.
    everytime I went to wal-mart, they ran out of mobil 1 due to the hurrican Ike.

I dont see Valvoline Syntec, is it that good people?

I had to get pennzoil plantinum because they ran out of everything.
    Pennzoil synthetic seems fine to me.. :)

11. Jan 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB - Super White
    SOLD!
    This is getting to be more and more common. Although why in the world would Toyota ever recommend 10k intervals when they can get twice the oil changes out of the vast majority of new buyers. Most of those people are going to the dealer to have their oil changed too. There is no reason to change a fully synthetic oil at 5k these days if you have a quality filter. (other then not voiding your warranty.)

It sounds a little like how a Toyota rep told me the other day i was due for a rear diff oil change at 15k!! Sounds crazy to me on a open diff..:confused:

12. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Right there with you, brother.

13. Jan 5, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Incorrect. There is no such as "void your warranty". Read up on the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act for the facts.

To Top