1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switching out dash and adding guages?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wolfgang123, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    Hi guys well my tacoma has 3 gauges on the stock dash, mph,fuel,temp. thats it. Its a manual so i want a tach. and some other gauges as well (as many as possible so i can monater as much as possible)

so my question is what can my truck read as far as gauges go, (its a 1997 ext cab srs model 4cylinder tacoma) and what kind of gauges could i ad to it outside of the dash? my dad had the idea of just replacing the dash with one from a truck that had a tach and oil pressure (like his truck), but if that possible it it just a plug and play type of thing? i have seen the scangauge so no need to bring that up but i am just looking for other options here?

Thanks
    Wolfgang

2. Jul 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    You can swap in a 1995.5 - 1997 tach cluster, if you'd like to keep the maximum 'stock look'.

You can add the following gauges pretty readily:

- oil pressure (if you add an adapter for the gauge sensor and a tee (or equivalent) if you want the oil pressure warning light to continue to work)

- engine coolant temperature (once you figure out where to place the sensor)

- voltmeter (wired in most anywhere)

- engine oil temperature (if you want to go to the trouble of adding a bung for the sensor)

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    ok great keeping the stock clusters arnt really all that important i would be willing to have exterior gauges as well. I have not idea how to install any of this so i guess i could have the dealer do it? is there anything else and maybe a place where i could find all this stuff?

thanks
    wolfgang

4. Jul 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    All the gauges I already mentioned would be aftermarket units with some sort of modifications for installation, so I don't know if a dealership would do it for you. Some will agree to do mod installations with no warranty, while others won't consider it at all. A competent mechanic could do it for you.

Gauges range from cheap-o units up to sophisticated digital ones.

If you like the idea of voltmeter, coolant temperature (in degrees), tachometer, and fuel mileage readings all-in-one, you might consider a ScanGauge (www.scangauge.com). The oil pressure would still need to be a separate unit, though.

5. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    ok thanks i think what i am going to do is get a scangauge and an oil pressure gauge

thank you enolagaia (good username)

Products Discussed in

To Top