1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SwitchPro setup questions: replacing OEM switches, controlling trigger wires, etc...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ardrummer292, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Jul 21, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    ardrummer292

ardrummer292 [OP] 500k or bust

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    I think I've settled on a SwitchPro setup for my upcoming electrical mods. I don't have enough switch blanks to adequately control all the neat doodads I want to bolt on, so a compact 8-switch add-on seems like a great choice.

I'd like to install the SwitchPro in the dash of my 2015 Tacoma, in the space outlined by the red box. It's not the most typical install location, but I think it'll look damn near factory if done properly.

5C550840-F44F-4EFA-956E-0C1554D36F8A.jpg

Cutting aftermarket parts into the OEM panel poses its own problems, which I'd like assistance figuring out.

First and foremost, is it even possible to install the SwitchPro where I want to install it? The exterior dimensions check out, although just barely. I know I'll have to relocate some factory switches, which seems simple enough. I'll also have to run some OEM switches off the SwitchPro itself, which leads to a follow-on question...

I plan on running my fog light switch on the SwitchPro, and would like to retain OEM functionality. In other words, I only want them to turn on when the headlights are on. I also want to be able to manually deactivate them with the push of a button, just like the OEM setup. Is this a big ask or an easy day?

I want to add on/off switches for 12V and bed outlet power on the SwitchPro as well. The 12V shouldn't be too hard, since it's just a matter of adding a switch to the jumper cable in the appropriate relay. The AC bed outlet could be more difficult, since it falls into the same category as replacing the OEM fog light switch above. Any advice?

I'm eventually going to add auxiliary high beams to my truck. It seems like rigging these aux lights to trigger wires hooked to the high beams is probably the simplest way to pull this off. Is there any way to activate/deactivate these inputs with a switch? Ideally, I'd like the same functionality I'm going for with the fog light switch.

Speaking of trigger wires, I'd like to run the turn signals for my (upcoming) ARB bumper through the SwitchPro trigger wires as well. From what I understand, wiring them up independently like this reduces the risk of load-induced errors with the flasher; the onboard computer doesn't like operating more lights than it thinks it's supposed to. Any ideas on how to pull this off?

I apologize if these questions are answered elsewhere. I have almost no electrical experience, so it's entirely possible I glossed over some answers while doing my research.

2. Jul 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    ardrummer292

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    Premature bump, and a few updates.

After contacting SwitchPro CS directly, I have a rough idea of what to do here. You can't really re-route the OEM switch wires through the SwitchPro. You have to program the SwitchPro so it mimics OEM functionality. It'll probably take a little fiddling, but I'll get there.

I totally forgot to bring this point up with SwitchPro CS, so I need to ping them again about this particular topic. Will post updates as I get more information.

Today I learned what "external trigger wire" means. Basically, the 2 trigger wires that come with the SwitchPro aren't outputs, meant for activating more stuff. They are inputs, which let the "brain" of the SwitchPro know what stuff is on; this gives the user more control over the conditions that allow a switch to be active. In this particular instance, I would attach one of these external trigger wires to the OEM high beam wire, which would tell the SwitchPro when my high beams are active. From there, I can program my aux high beams to only come on when the OEM high beams are on.

The SwitchPro 9100 only has 2 external trigger wires. Most people rig one of these up to... something... that dims the backlighting of the SwitchPro when the headlights are on. Running my ARB turn signals off them is not an option, since I won't have enough extra external trigger wires available to hook into the stock turn signal wires. Not that it matters, because I already have all 8 slots taken up by all sorts of planned electronic goodies.

I still have questions about this. I need to do a deep-dive of the forum to see what I can find.

3. Oct 1, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    woodsman117

woodsman117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red TRD OR
    OME HD lift, HD Dakars, Duratraks, RCI IFS Skid
    Any thoughts on the switch panel mounts for the sunglasses holder? Tandem off road makes one and expedition essentials does as well. Also, howd wiring your aux lights into your high beams go with the trigger wire? I'm thinking of doing this with a light bar and wanted to know how it went for you. (i also have a 2015)

GMAN62465 likes this.
  4. Oct 2, 2020 at 2:55 AM
    ardrummer292

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    I'm not a big fan of controlling lights from a location that can be reached by passengers. Who's to say I won't have a child (adult or otherwise) start pushing buttons while I'm driving down the highway? I'd rather keep stuff like that firmly under my control.

I haven't bought the SwitchPro yet, so I can't say for sure. SwitchPro CS says that it'll work just fine.

5. Oct 2, 2020 at 4:52 AM
    woodsman117

woodsman117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red TRD OR
    OME HD lift, HD Dakars, Duratraks, RCI IFS Skid
    Fair enough. The expedition essentials one allows you to close the sunglasses compartment, basically hiding the panel when not in use, but I hear ya. I don't really want to cut that part out of my dash cuz I have a TRD OR MT and the clutch start cancel/curtain airbag turnoff switches are there. I'm pulling the trigger on a switchpro in the next week or two and from what I read the wiring I have in mind won't be a problem. Was just curious about if you had gone through it yet or not. Good luck!

6. Oct 2, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    ardrummer292

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    Same to you, man. I'm hoping to consolidate the more sophisticated switches (VSC, RSCA) in the upper row, leaving me the task of running the remaining simple functions (fog lights, AC outlet) through the SwitchPro. I'm not sure if the relays controlling these functions are ground-switched or not, which could definitely throw a wrench in my plans.

woodsman117[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top