1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swore in for the Navy today!!!

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sheepdog, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Hey Doc, I love you.

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    Thank you ALL soo much for your support. It really touches me that you guys appreciate what I signed up for. And I'm very grateful that all you FMF docs support me. I will NOT let you guys down. I can't wait till the day I become one of you.

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    User123

User123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver PreRunner
    Its a very proud community and theres ALOT to live up to. Combat in Iraq was rough and all but man, the things the Corpsman did in WW2 amazes me. Just work hard and get a good reputation. A good reputation goes ALONG way. Its a small community so someone knows someone that knows someone.

Navy Boot Camp is a breeze. Not as easy as the chAir Force:D but definitely nothing like Marine Corps bootcamp. Just listen to the advice of the members here and dont stand out too much. I think everyone including myself stressed WAAY too much about the impact bootcamp was going to have on the rest of our military careers. Once youre out it doesnt mean squat. I busted my ass and was Honor Grad of a Hall of Fame Division and I was so proud of myself... only to realize that it meant nothing except a statue of the lone sailor and a letter of appreciation...

Its what you do at Corps School thats gonna define you. Some of the instructors come from the same units you may end up at and they definitely have friends in other commands. You may even be serving with them after their billet is done. One of my Corps School instructors ended up in my FMSS class as a student. And the Sgt. that was my platoon instructor at FMSS ended up in my company in the fleet.

Just remember that going greenside is not guaranteed. They'll tell you not to worry because odds are you'll end up there regardless but do everything to improve your chances. I've seen guys that were super motivated about going with the grunts end up in a hospital. Happens ALL the time. The higher you rank in the class. The more likely you'll get your first choice on your "dream sheet" The temptations will definitely be there during Corps School. You go from the confines of Boot Camp to almost a college like atmosphere with plenty of girls. Just stay focused.

The "fleet returnees" usually get the first pick of orders. Then all the "boots" in the order of class ranking. Atleast when I was there in 03. My class lucked out and we actually got to sit down with a detailer and I was able to secure orders to 1stMarDiv. People thought I was crazy because I passed up some sweet orders... Puerto Rico(which was still open at that time) Spain, Italy, Japan... I'd be lying if I said I didnt think about that while I was out in Iraq though...

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    User123

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver PreRunner
    Awww... your making me blush... I'll be gentle with the bore punch...

5. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Dayum, User123 got all inspirational and stuff....;)

6. Mar 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    User123

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver PreRunner
    Yea... I loved my time with the Marines. I was always one of those weird kids that grew up fascinated with the military. I read a TON of military related books and I remember being in middle school watching the first gulf war and wishing I was there. I tried to enlist with the Marines when I was 18 and scored a 96 on the ASVAB but due to some "questionable" tattoos, I was denied. When the war broke out, I thought I would be able to get a waiver but was denied again... Then the Navy came to the rescue... I showed my tattoos to the fat salty Chief and he barely looked at me and said "No Problem" So basically, going in as a Corpsman was my "backdoor" into the Marine Corps Infantry.

7. Mar 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    What do you do now..?

8. Mar 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    User123

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver PreRunner
    Currently unemployed... I was let go from my probationary position as a Firefighter...

Products Discussed in

To Top