1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

synthetic oil vs convetional oil, and how often do you change your oil?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by donlogan, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    donlogan

donlogan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 95 Tacoma. She runs great and I plan on using her as my DD for hopefully a couple more years.

I've been using Mobil 5w-30 synthetic oil since I've had it (5 years). I change it about every 10k miles. She leaks a little bit but nothing that has me concerned. I probably have to add max two quarts in between oil changes.

My brother recently informed me that mechanics recommend using conventional oil if you have an oil leak because it's thicker than synthetic oil. Like I said, my Tacoma doesn't leak too bad right now but I'm thinking it might be time to take precautions.

First of all, how detrimental is it to the engine to switch oils? My dad won't even switch brands because he thinks it's not good for the engine.

If I start using conventional oil, how often should I plan on changing oil? It's cheaper but also recommended that you change conventional oil more often. But really....is it necessary to change conventional oil every 3k miles?

Does synthetic oil add life to your engine?

Also, do you all have a preferred oil filter? I have a 2.4L engine.

2. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    First of all, once you go synthetic, you NEVER, EVER go back to conventional. That's a surefire way to screw up your motor.

Secondly, why the hell are you changing your oil every 10k? At most you should be changing it every 5k.

Thirdly, OEM filter /endthread

3. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    this is not accurate in the least. you can go back and forth from regular to synthetic oil as much as you want and it will not hurt the engine at all.

next, 10k miles is the correct change interval for synthetic oil because that is how long it lasts before it starts breaking down, only regular oil is changed at 5k miles because that is how long it lasts before it starts breaking down.

now for some logical and correct advice:

changing oil to slow a leak is stupid but it does work, so does increasing the viscosity of the oil you use but both are just masking the problem and are not solutions to it.

if you have leaks then fix them but don't switch oil to ignore the problem because while it "may" slow the leak (depending on where its leaking) its just like painting over rust, not a good idea.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    FishaRnekEd likes this.
  4. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    I use Rotella 5w-40 diesel oil and Toyota OEM filter every 7-8k miles no issues.:D

5. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Where does it leak?

Replace your valve cover gasket?

6. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    People put rotella in everything. Bike guys swear by it too.

7. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    stumpman

stumpman Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Dclb cement
    I have used both, with different vehicles over the years, never had problems with either, just longer interval with synthetic befor I change it

8. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    jimbo808

jimbo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Debadged, Mbrp cat back turn down, Afe drop in filter, Icon extended travel, Light Racing ucas, Dakars, Icon 2.0 vs monotubes, 285/70r17 goodyear kevlar Mtrs, Morimoto Minis D2S' bhlm with blacked out bowls, Bamf Sliders, pelfrey single hoop front bumper, smittybilt X20 10k, pelfrey ifs skid, pelfrey trans skid, all pro rear with side plates, sway bar removed, front superbumps, Avec 20 inch light bar, rigid flood fogs
  9. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Bullshit flag on switching between synthetics and conventional.

10. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    Oil & filter change interval really depends on driving conditions, also how well the filter filters your oil. I use AmsOil full synthetic & there 3micron filter. If I'm only doing city stop & go driving I'll change it at 5k miles or if it's when I'm doing a lot of road trips (8-10k miles in a month or slightly over) I'll go to 15k but keep a close eye on my oil. My last change was at 15k miles & it didn't use a single drop of oil & was still clean when I changed it. I even sent a sample of my oil to amsoil for an analysis & the results came back to keep running it & do another analysis @ the next interval, but was to late I had already changed it.

11. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    donlogan

Member:
    Yea I know it's the easy way out rather than addressing the problem. I just don't want to put too much more money into it. I realize that's probably not a welcome attitude to have here.

Where do you stand on synthetic vs conventional? Do you think it will have an affect on engine life for a 95 Tacoma DD?

I probably should locate the leak. I replaced the gasket last time. Still a slow leak.

12. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    donlogan

Member:
    I had a long discussion about Amsoil on another forum. Don't they recommend oil changes at 25k miles interval?

13. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    just FYI, eric the car guy is wrong about a lot of what he thinks about synthetic oil and his videos about it are very misleading. he even wrongly thinks it provides thinner protection to make engines noisey so clearly he is clueless about synthetic oils lubricating ability but most of his advice is correct as he knows it, he just doesnt know much about synthetic oils

14. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    woodssyndicate

woodssyndicate Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4L 4x4 ext cab, 2011 trd sport dclb
    Check out bobistheoilguy.com Everything you need to know and more. By the way I use Mobil 0w20 full synthetic. Buy it up when it's on sale plus rebates from advanced auto, ends up costing about the same as conventional. Just read up on the website, very informative

15. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Maybe with a second filter?

Sure as shit wont wait 25k miles to change my oil on stock system.

16. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I call BS if you are using Mobil 0w20 full synthetic in your first gen Tacoma you are going to blow it up. 0w oils are ONLY meant for the new all aluminum engines with super tight clearances and its like having no oil at all when used in an older engine. zero means just that, zero so it has zero viscosity and is like water. Mobil 0w20 full synthetic does not even come close to meeting your engines oil viscosity requirements so you must be talking about a brand new Tacoma and not a first gen or you are seriously damaging your engine.

if you are using if you are using Mobil 0w20 full synthetic in your first gen Tacoma then you will be needing a new engine very soon

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Potomus Pete likes this.
  17. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I had a 96 that I changed to synthetic at 60k. Ran it until I sold it at 110k.

Mine also leaked - I lost about 1 quart in 5k miles (every oil change).

Some of it leaked / weeped (?) at the oil pan gasket.

Yes... Synthetics do tend to seep /penetrate further than regular oils. This is a good thing as you're lubricating areas better than conventional oils.

Change to conventional? Well, that depends on how much you're losing and where you are losing it from?

18. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    jimbo808

jimbo808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4
    Debadged, Mbrp cat back turn down, Afe drop in filter, Icon extended travel, Light Racing ucas, Dakars, Icon 2.0 vs monotubes, 285/70r17 goodyear kevlar Mtrs, Morimoto Minis D2S' bhlm with blacked out bowls, Bamf Sliders, pelfrey single hoop front bumper, smittybilt X20 10k, pelfrey ifs skid, pelfrey trans skid, all pro rear with side plates, sway bar removed, front superbumps, Avec 20 inch light bar, rigid flood fogs
    yeah, that's true about the noisy part

19. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    They recommend 10-15k miles when using there synthetic oil & there filter. If your running there bypass kit (2 filters) with there oil & filters they recommend 25-30k+ I used there bypass kit on my last diesel never went 25-30k miles though, I ended up going 20k & again the analysis came back to keep running it & do another analysis at the next interval. The bypass kit paid for its self after the first oil change! But when your truck takes 5 gallons of synthetic oil...it gets expensive lol 20-30k between changes was a welcome thing!

20. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    elnip

elnip Well-Known Member

Member:
    LC,NM
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma TRD S/C'd / /'16 T4R Trail
    Taco SC'd, fuel mods, Supra TT MAF, TRD Headers, Water Meth Injection, Tundra Brake upgrade Trail w/URD EL Headers. JFR EL Y-pipe, URD Hi Clearance cat back, KDMAX Tune, 4.56's
    This X2, exactly what I do from early on.

Products Discussed in

To Top