1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Synthetic "Polish" and "Full" Detail Questions

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by drubacca117, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    I recently used the Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Liquid Polish based on a friends recommendation. The product works well enough, my truck is only a few months old and has no major swirls or anything, and it is very easy to apply and work in/off (I don't own a buffer, and probably won't buy one).

My major concern is that I want to do a full detail on my exterior, and am looking at using a sealant (don't know how well a wax shine would show on a Magnetic Gray Taco). Since this product is easy to use, and can be used on the entire truck (trim, roof fin antenna, door handles, etc.), would it be okay to continue using it? I want to go the whole 9 yards and do a full claybar, polish and sealant, but if I am shooting myself in the leg it is pointless.

Anyone have any thoughts? How long would a full wash/clay/polish/sealant detail take (time is a consideration since I have my son on the weekends since I work nights during the week)? Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

2. Apr 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    I can knock that out in 2-3 hours by myself. It might take a little longer depending on the experience. I would use Mequiars Ultimate synthetic paste wax. It is $23 at advance auto parts, or your local parts store. With your truck being only a couple months old, I wouldn't worry about polishing it just yet. A polish brings back the shine, doesn't protect it. The wax, mentioned above, has all the sealants that you will need to protect your paint for 3-6 months. I apply it to my car every 3 months. That's how I have done it since I could wax a car. As long as you wax it atleast 2 times a year, you should be fine. If you want, you can polish it once a year, but after you polish it, you need to wax it. LOL. I wouldn't claybar it every wash. Maybe once a month to keep it looking good. There is no need to wax or polish after it is clayed.
    Hope you find this helpful!

3. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    Spectacular! Thanks for your input. Is the wax you mention safe to put on my plastics around the wheel wells and such?

Products Discussed in

To Top