1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

System? Help? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rcfreak201, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Sep 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Sep 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    White Double Cab Off Road
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    Dude, this has been discussed a lot. Try searching and you'll get an info over lode.

Figure out how much you are comfortable spending and look for products that will accommodate. Like Cmack said, if you go cheap you'll get cheap.

Are you planning on buying everything all at once? That will help me with what products to point you toward. What you should get first etc.

3. Sep 4, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    OK, so here's what I've done, and I love the sound and amount of bass I'm getting.

I installed Pioneer single DIN HU (an older model that I puller from my Jeep 2 years ago) and just upgraded the speakers 3 weeks ago with Pioneer TS Series. 6.5" in the rear, and 6" x 9" in the front.

No amp installed.

At times the rear view mirror vibrates so hard it's difficult to see what's behind me.

If you figure $200 for the HU, I've got about $500 spent all together. IMO awesome sound for the amount of money I have spent.

After you have a HU and speakers picked out that you like, check in with Mr. Marv. He's a vendor and member on the site. He has an audio biz on the West Coast and can be very helpful in figuring things out for you.

I had already purchased my speakers when I contacted him, and he knew right away that I needed extra deep speaker rings for my 6x9's. He made me the speaker rings and shipped them right out at a great price.

4. Sep 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    head unit. It's sometimes also called a deck, or stereo.

5. Sep 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Suspensiopn: Donahoe coil overs, Donahoe rear reservoir shocks, Light Racing UCA's, Wheelers AAL's, Exterior: Powder-coated black billet grill, Hella Black Magic fog lights, color matched rear bumper, color matched side mirrors, undercover tonneau cover, Interior: Alpine W203 w/ Blackbird II, Weathertech Floor-liners, blue gauge light mod, Performance: AFE Stage II Intake, Banks exhaust, single cat y-pipe, Dynomat hood-liner, NST Performance pulleys, URD MAF calibrator
    If you only have 500 For an entire system you're not going to get a lot in realm of stereo systems. What do you want more bass or higher quality music.?

6. Sep 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Ok your price is better if you're not getting a head unit. Lets see if I get somewhere in your range

Kicker Compt VT12" Shallow Mount Subwoofer $100 (2 ohm/ 4 ohm capable, 400w)

Kicker 10ZX400.1 $199.00 (2 ohm 400 watt, 800 watt peak)

Spend the rest on wiring and making a quality sealed box and you'll have some good bass in your truck. Do you live near Huntington Beach/Westminster. I can help you with the install

7. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Kicker has a good shallow mount speaker. It's going to make it way easier for you to install a 12 and get what I think you're looking for. The sealed box will give you the "tight sound" you want.

8. Sep 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Mr. Brown

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Good Mr. Marv is a skilled guy. If you build the box and do the install yourself you'll save money and can put more $ into the components. Also, when you buy your components shop online. You'll get way better deals.

Good luck

9. Sep 5, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    If you do all of the install work, you can do a system upgrade for right around $500, but it won't have a sub or amp.

I did a Pioneer single DIN HU (with an iPod cable) and Pioneer TS Series speakers for $500. That included all the dodads, accessories, hardware, etc. that was required to complete the upgrade.

I bought the HU and speakers on line (ebay). They were all brand new in the factory sealed box. I saved a ton of $ money doing that. I got the speakers for 1/2 the price most on line retailers were asking. :D

To Top