1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T/O fixed with TSK45

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by romafern, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    romafern

romafern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    stock and very pissed about the issues
    Machine gun mount. Would love to blow the shit out of it since it has nothing but issues. QA at Toyota USA is shit. Start making them in Japan for Christ's Sake!
    Today, I have been PDM’d with the TSK45! I took my truck in for the rear leaf, transmission noise due to the bad t/o and windshield noise TSBs.:eek:

The rear leaf job was done in about two hours but the tranny job took the rest of the day. Jason, the lead mechanic working on my truck had to send the flywheel out to the local machine shop. This is where most of the time went as we had to wait for it to be turned…It finally came back around 3 pm. I asked permission from the dealership to let me into the service bays and I was able to watch my truck torn apart as Jason worked on the rear leafs and the tranny during the course of 10 hrs…

Jason replaced (under warranty) the leafs. They look a lot better and beefier than the originals. The truck feels a bit stiffer and more solid when going over bumps.:D:):):):)

I was lucky on the tranny. My truck has barely 32k miles for a 2007 dbl cab with TRD off road package. The quill in the bell housing looked pretty good for me and Jason. The t/o was not cracked like others have posted. The quill had two wear bands due to the slop caused by a loose bearing. As I ran my finger on the quill, I barely noticed a groove like wear on the quill. I have been having the t/o issue since around 27~28k miles.

Jason, the lead mechanic working on my truck is well aware of this issue with the tranny in our trucks and FJs. He even told me that Toyota is well aware of this issue but still “working or trying” to figure out what to do with this headache. He even told me that one of his co-workers reminded him that they are not supposed to be working on that issue on the Tacomas/FJs. Jason, told his co-worker that I had brought the fix (TSK45). I hope that shut that guy’s mouth up!:mad::mad::mad:

Jason told me that if I had not brought in the TSK45 and he had put a new t/o, basically I was wasting my time and I would have been SOL because my truck is now out warranty. He was impressed and very excited to have seen the TSK45 kit and was saying that this is what they need to fix all the trucks they get in with such complaint.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

After the truck was put together, Jason and I took it for a spin. The friction zone feels higher and it requires me to work the clutch less when shifting. Speaking of shifting, it feels like silk. Very smooth and feels like a new truck. Jason even drained the tranny fluid and gave me new fluid. Now I don’t have to worry about servicing the tranny until the next maintenance interval.:):headbang::rimshot::burnrubber:

So with the tranny job done I now have a new clutch, new tranny fluid and lots of peace of mind due to the TSK45 kit.

Sorry for the long post, but I am very happy and pleased on how the truck is doing now. I took some pics but I am not sure how to post them. If someone would be kind to tell me how, I will post my pics.

The moral of the story here is that if you are having these issues, take your truck in and ask for it to be done. You will have better chances if the truck is still under warranty. If you need peace of mind and do not want to wait for Toyota to come up for a fix on the tranny, get your kit. Keep in mind that I do not work for PDM or get a royalty for any kit they sell. I more than likely will buy another kit to keep as a spare since Jason thinks that the bearing will probably wear out before the sleeve from the kit needs to be replaced. I plan on keeping this truck for a very long time.

I am thankful for this site and all its members.:bananadance::rasta:

Rob

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    TSK45? Im out of the loop.. (I searched and found this thread and one other.. not of help)

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    romafern

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Machine gun mount. Would love to blow the shit out of it since it has nothing but issues. QA at Toyota USA is shit. Start making them in Japan for Christ's Sake!
    Chris,

The TSK45 is the Transmission Sleeve Kit #45 for my 2007 Taco from PDM. I was having issues with the t/o bearing and this is the solution to that headache. Are you having problems with your t/o?

4. Oct 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    No I'm at 1500 miles right now but after reading the issue I couldn't help but try to think of a fix.. I thought of a sleeve but looks like someone beat me to it! Do you have any pics? Just curious to see.

5. Oct 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    romafern

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    I have pics but not sure how to post them here. Google PDM TSK45 and you should have what you are looking for.

6. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    Found them. Very cool. Looks like it is a common problem on others as well.

7. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    romafern

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes it is!

8. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    So it uses an over size T/O?

9. Oct 12, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    romafern

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    No. PDM uses the same bearing from Toyota and remachines the whole thing for it to fit very nicely on the sleeve.

10. Oct 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    romafern

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    Lg, how bad was you quill? Mine was in good shape and the slight wear it had was not a big concern to me. I forgot to mention that I also got a new pressure plate. The flywheel looked good after returning from the machine shop.

To Top