1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0044-14 Feedback: Engine ECM Reprogram [Pinging]

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gonathan85, Jul 24, 2014.

?

Did the TSB Eliminate Engine Pinging

Poll closed Aug 23, 2014.
  1. Yes, no pinging using regular unleaded fuel.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Yes, no pinging but using mid-grade or supreme fuel.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, still having pinging regardless of fuel octane used.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Dec 10, 2015 at 6:15 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    After almost 2 hours they finally did it. But still were pushing for me to have the intake/throttle body cleaning service.

2. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:21 AM
    WebberLander

WebberLander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Can anybody confirm they have been able to get Toyota to do this TSB on a 2011? I might have overlooked a post in the 28 pages, but didn't see anybody.

I had ping really bad on 87 Octane the first summer I had the truck and switched it to 93 from there on out. Since then its been fine except in higher temps (summer) if i'm pulling a trailer and low RPM (1500 or so). I don't mind paying for 93 over 87 and will continue to run it but would still like to have this TSB done for peace of mind.

Any 2011 owners? Please let me know!

3. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    This is all that is in this thread, see below. Sorry if I doesn't help :(

4. Dec 10, 2015 at 8:42 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    it is firmware update

with no option for rollback,

so I don't think it can be attempted anyway or

a) techstream would not allow the update due to version mismatch
    b) it could brick the ecu

5. Dec 10, 2015 at 9:16 AM
    WebberLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Thanks it does help actually. I read the post about changing the plugs and when I first purchased the truck at 69k miles I did just that and found my plugs looked pretty worn out. I honestly didn't think much of it at the time b/c of the mileage and assumed they were just the original plugs. I'm at 103K now so it wouldn't hurt to change them again but last inspection I did at 95K and they still looked really good.

FWIW - I also run a bottle of techron every other gas tank along with Marvel Mystery Oil. I do Half and Half when my tank is on empty and then fill it up.

Gotta love a firmware update with no rollback ..... :poking:.

I'll give a local dealer here a call with my VIN just to see what happens. Won't hurt to be told no or that it can't be done.

Rattletrap66[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    dealer told me ecu update still not available for the 2011. technician said ecu on 2011 different than 2012+.

going to do plugs at 60k.

7. Dec 15, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    WebberLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    I got the same information from a tech this past week when I visited the dealer. He was nice enough to explain the differences and why mine was not covered.

8. Dec 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    What are the differences? I'd be curious why the pinging only affects the 12+.

9. Dec 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    WebberLander

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4
    Overlanding Rig
    Well that's the thing, it doesn't effect just 12+ models and he was of the opinion that they should have done it for all 2nd gen Tacoma's. I told him about my symptoms when I ran 87 especially in the summer when pulling a trailer, but now with 93 OCT all the time, I have not noticed it even in the hot months. He said he wasn't surprised by that all and that fixes the problem for most with the issue but causes headaches for Toyota b/c the truck is advertised to be able to run on 87 OCT.

So the tech went on to explain to me first that Toyota's ECM's overall are not and have never really been very programmable and that a firmware update vs. software update was needed to address the issue for the 2012+ models. With that said he was of the opinion that something was changed in the instruction set/software inside the ECM on 2012+ vs 2005 - 2011 models. Occasionally before 2012 they would have a customer in complaining of the knock/ping but after 2012 and before the TSB, they had one on a daily basis he said. So that was another flag to him that "something changed in the ECM since nothing on the motors was modified between year models. He believes it was timing related and that it was advanced just a little too much in the 2012+ models, but he wasn't 100% on that b/c he'd never actually timed the motor with a timing light before and after the update. All they knew about the TSB is that after the firmware update, the issue should be resolved.

He was really cool and said he wished he had more concrete info but they don't tell them too much details on TSB expect what they need to know to get the customer in and out and not come back for the same issue(s).

Hope this helps.

clinteastside likes this.
  10. Jan 6, 2016 at 1:04 PM
    unlewser

unlewser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    They just did my 2012. No questions asked, but I did show the service adviser the TSB printout from the original post.

not enough miles to tell if it did anything yet.

11. Feb 1, 2016 at 4:04 AM
    Kens2012

Kens2012 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ken
    None yet...
    TSB says, "This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles". Is this covered at no cost? Mine is a 2012, 41k miles so it falls within this range.

I called the dealer who said I'd have to pay the $115 diagnostic fee and then $115 to do the work. Then again he never took a minute to get my info, plus I figured Id get online and do a little more digging first before pushing back.

12. Feb 1, 2016 at 6:27 AM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    it's free there ain't no diagnostic fee that is bullshit

they may want to drive it to prove it happens, but that is FREE too

Norton likes this.
  13. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Kens2012

Kens2012 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ken
    None yet...
    Sweet, I thought so... just making sure I was reading that right. The service writer was probably trying to throw me off the scent of free work!

Thanks

Norton likes this.
  14. Feb 1, 2016 at 3:11 PM
    gonathan85

gonathan85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 SR5 V6 Tacoma
    You'll probably get a better answer if you print the TSB from page 1 of this thread, bring it to the service writer, and request the service be performed under factory warranty as noted in the TSB.

Norton likes this.
  15. Feb 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM
    Kens2012

Kens2012 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ken
    None yet...
    Went to the dealer tonight, had the TSB performed.
    Afterwards I drove some of the way to work since I travel it everyday and know the areas uphill where it would ping. The truck didn't ping at all. Ill vote later once I have more miles and am back running on regular gas, but so far so good.
    I will also point out that I've only had the truck since Oct. and about 5k miles. I hadn't noticed the ping until recently, almost since I switched to full synthetic oil (mobile 1, napa filter), but I cant be sure that had any effect. Again, the ping sure seems to be gone but what I wasn't expecting was a different driving experience so to speak, as at least one other mentioned here. It seemed to have more ass when in low rpm and going uphill, it just went without acting like a four banger and shifting... same gear and accelerated nicely.
    I drive a tank a week so Ill check back once I'm done my first full tank of 87, and with mpg. I was getting just under 22 mpg mixed figured out over every tank since I bought it) , non TRD V6 4x4 dbl cab, steel wimpy wheels with brand new dunlop grandtreks all around. I don't care if Mpg suffers as a result of this, the truck seems to perform better and as long as the ping stays away.
    Sorry so long, I just got a lot out of this thread and site in the last few days so thought Id report and give back. More to come

16. Feb 23, 2016 at 8:07 AM
    Taco One

Taco One Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock 2011 TRD Sport
    I changed plugs at 45k and pinging went away for about 3k miles. It's started back up again and is only minimized by 93 octane fuel. I did try two tank fulls of ethanol free fuel and there was no ping. But this fuel is almost $3.00 a gallon so guess I'll stick to corn gas of 93 octane for now.

I really like my Tacoma but this issue will probably drive me to trade it in.

17. Feb 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    For several thousand miles I ran 1 can lucas engine deep cleaner and 1 can lucas octane booster through the engine and it seems to have cured it... Not the cheapest fix but the engine doesn't sound like it rattling apart anymore. I probably did that routine for a little over 5k... Every single tank.

18. Feb 26, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    had the TSB done a while ago and still ping-free*

*still, once in a blue moon, it might a tiny bit, but now it is normal and extremely rare
    and nothing whatsoever like multiple pinging several times a day climbing hills or accelerating

19. Mar 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    To those who have done this, can you answer a few questions for me:

1. What are your shift points (RPM) at light throttle input? My truck will shift at 1,100 RPM if I don't get on the throttle.
    2. In the 30-38 MPH range does it always go into 5th and lock up, or will it stay in 4th if you're in traffic where you aren't holding speed.
    3. Does the transmission still constantly call for locking/unlocking of the TC? When I'm at the 30-38 MPH range my truck is always in 5th, locked. The second I get off the gas the truck will rapidly lose speed and unlock the TC and drop the RPMs under 1,000. The second I get back on the gas, instant relock of the TC and it's abrupt.

I want to push for this TSB as my transmission behavior is quite annoying. I had the transmission replaced by Toyota with a factory refurb under warranty not too long ago and I verified the fluid was not low (if anything at the temperature it was a bit more of a trickle than I probably needed...not overfilled by any stretch). I may add some LubeGuard, but I really dislike the shift strategy.

20. Mar 30, 2016 at 1:51 PM
    gonathan85

gonathan85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 SR5 V6 Tacoma
    I can't get you your answers right at the moment, however I will say that the shifting behavior of my transmission pre/post TSB was quite different. Pre-TSB, my transmission would quickly shift into overdrive during acceleration, leaving a lugging low rpm feeling as the truck continued to pick up speed. Post-TSB, my transmission had better feeling shift patterns. The transmission would stay in a particular gear longer before shifting, removing the lugging/low rpm feeling.

Something interesting...I believe that the removal of one of the battery cables is part of this TSB (could check document, but no time for that now). To experiment one time, I removed a battery ground cable for 5 minutes, then reinstalled it and my transmission shift points and feeling had the same results as post-TSB. Something in the coding that helps our transmissions "learn" our driving habits & adjust shifting patterns accordingly is not ideal. When I drive conservatively, it seems to learn that I like to drive like my grandma, then it adjusts shifting mannerisms to match that type of driving style.

I'm not sure how much FACT or SCIENCE is involved, but these things have been my observations and hopefully they are useful.

Products Discussed in

To Top