1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0077-16 Rev 1

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by illogical, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Apr 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    Jfish12

Jfish12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Sport RWD
    I just had the update done today. I haven't had a chance to look at the paper work, but my truck still has a hard time going from park to reverse or drive to reverse or one of those. The shifting I still need to drive tonight to see if that is better.

2. Apr 11, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    nchastings

nchastings Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have had the update done twice now. The first time it made mild improvement to shift feel and delayed engagement. Still the usual sluggish behavior though and gear hunting. I later had it flashed without update to erase the memory and it improved it again, but as usually the computer "learned" to suck within 200-300 miles. The last time there was an update to the TSB which I got and again erased memory. This time when I left dealership it seemed to have much improved shifting (not perfect) but I noticed I was okay without ECT on all the time and S4 or S5 driving. I waited to post to see what happened and as expected, within 400 miles the computer again has learned to shift like shit. I am again in ECT all the time and S4 or S5 on circumstance. I use S6 on long mountain descents on highway only. I also notice that all aspects of transmission are improved in the cold and worse when warm. Seems to be what most people here are feeling....

TRDOBSESSED, davidsp101 and peppinoss like this.
  3. Apr 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    Persnickety

Persnickety Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Again...HELLO TOYOTA !!!!!

This transmission sucks !!!!!!!!!

AZInferno and Mmskeetz like this.
  4. Apr 11, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    16coma

16coma Member

Member:
    Orange, CA
    This is the exact same problem I am having with my 2017 (took delivery in March) so I assume that they are not using the latest ECU flash at the factory? That is hard to believe which leads me to think that they have not found a cure for this issue. I really miss my Gen 2 4.0L. This motor/trans combo is really hard to live with. I had my Gen 2 for 10 years but I'm already looking for a way to get rid of this one - probably have to keep it for a couple years just so I don't take a bath on it. It really is disappointing because I like everything else about the truck and there's not other option out there unless you go to a full size pick-up and that's not something I'm interested in.

5. Apr 11, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    16coma

16coma Member

Member:
    Orange, CA
    I came to the same conclusion that 6th gear is useless. When on the freeway in 6th, the slightest increase in throttle will cause a downshift to 5th if you are lucky but usually down to 4th which just kills the mileage. I had almost 200K miles on my Gen 2 when I sold it and the engine was still strong but that truck ran in the under 3k RPM range all the time with rare exceptions. This Gen 3 engine does not produce any power until you are hitting 3150 RPMS and up. Truck engines should not be high RPM engines - you don't get longevity moving a heavy vehicle at high RPM's. I don't see these Gen 3's lasting like the earlier generations.

AZInferno likes this.
  6. Apr 11, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    barney7

barney7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    They are P O S like mine, owners that are not complaining if they are having issues and accepting it are not doing me any favor. Toyota owners get with it, some are having problems let corp. know. Thanks to everyone who does.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Mmskeetz likes this.
  7. Apr 11, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    swimmer

swimmer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORAC4WD
    My truck had those issues when new. With each update my transmission has gotten better. I have zero complaints now. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with regards to engine RPM vs engine life. Plenty of vehicles out there spinning higher RPMs and lasting a long time.

Bob259, habanero_taco and zzandrewss like this.
  8. Apr 12, 2017 at 2:12 AM
    Jfish12

Jfish12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD Sport RWD
    I tried asking for a loaner because I left my car over night and didn't get it back until 3 the next day. They denied me for a loaner car and I was stuck twiddling my thumbs waiting for my truck to be updated. Where is this in the manual cause I can't find it and it would be helpful on future fixes. Lately Toyota has been the evil that exists and think their poop don't stink.

9. Apr 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I feel like if Toyota could improve on the responsiveness of the shifting, it would help a lot. I think I could have gotten over the power band structure and the shift happy gearing. It would just take while for the truck to respond, then shift, then shift again to the appropriate gear. ECT was a bit too aggressive for me and S-Shift was a little too involved. If I'm going to be +/- to shift, I might as well drive a manual, which is what I'm currently considering. I hope Toyota can further improve on the shifting with future updates for everyone's sake.

vondy likes this.
  10. Apr 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    jhunter80

jhunter80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Pre-runner
    A.R.E. Z Series Shell Clazzio Leather Seats Bilstein 6112 (2nd Notch/0.75" lift) Bilstein 5100 (Rear) SCS F5 Wheels (16x8/4.5 Backspacing) Goodyear Duratrac 265/75R16 (C Load Range)
    I had my 5,000 mile maintenance yesterday and took printed versions of both original TSB and Rev 1. It took a little bit of explaining and persuading, but I basically told the guy to do it or he'd have to let his boss explain to me why they can't. Long story short, they did the software update and it was documented in my invoice. I can absolutely tell a difference....Now I'm not saying it turned my Taco into a Lambo, but the transmission and overall calibration does seem much improved. Also, my truck is a 2017, so I would recommend anyone who isn't happy with the tranny, have them do it ... in the words of Bluto from Animal House: "It don't cost nuthin'."

11. Apr 12, 2017 at 11:36 PM
    maytime

maytime Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    So I went to the dealer with the '17 Taco to see if it needed the AT TSB, which they said it didn't. BUT, it was 1.5 quarts low of ATF from the factory (2000mi on it now). Like others have said, go to the dealer to have them check. The trick, the service manager said, is to say, "I think the shifts are erratic on hills," or something to that effect, if you want it covered on warranty.

He said that they're not supposed to warranty claim a specific request for the software update or to check the ATF fluid level. The service manager just bought a Taco and went through this, so he knew what to look for. I didn't have the TSB number off hand, but will next time for the 5000mi service.

Shermyota30 likes this.
  12. Apr 14, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    Bardown

Bardown Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had an unfortunate situation happen @ the dealership the other day.
    Long story short the service manager was finally talking FULL DISCLOSURE with me and stated that there is a brand new TSB coming out very shortly which is supposed to finally put this all to rest

Anyone else hear something like this?
    I'm not even sure what the most updated version is. I was told my REV-1 that came out 11/15/17 is most current.

13. Apr 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    Bob259

Bob259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited DCSB 4x4 3.5 V6
    Let's hope what he told you was true and not just another smoke screen to pacify you, like other dealers have done in the past.

14. Apr 14, 2017 at 11:09 AM
    Taco280AI

Taco280AI Well-Known Member

Member:
    COS
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I've heard similar, but will believe it when I see it

15. Apr 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    scornwel

scornwel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    There are a lot of folks on here that claim there's nothing to put to rest.

I'll bet they'll be first in line.

16. Apr 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    treimche

treimche Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fargo, ND
    You stealership sucks. After I mentioned any of this TSB stuff to my dealer, they requested I bring the truck in to have the fluid checked manually and also check to see that it has REV-1. Was a half quart low so they filled it up, already had REV-1 on it, but it still can't figure out wtf gear to use on the highway with cruise control.

17. Apr 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM
    Duff49

Duff49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bucks County PA
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport TRD DCLB Barcelona Red
    I have had the same problem. I'm trying to recreate it with a Go Pro. This drive train is a nightmare. Three second throttle response is not safe on secondary roads when a vehicle is coming at you. On the highway you can drive with a LOT of anticipation if you are comfortable with that. But when you need to pass a vehicle and the dam thing shifts too low and hangs there and doesn't shift up, I think that needs to be reported to NHTSA.

barney7 and avitaco like this.
  18. Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    perkj

perkj Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had my 5K mile service on my 2017 Pro done over the weekend at Steven's Creek Toyota in San Jose, CA. My transmission wasn't showing any of the signs many folks are experiencing in this thread...my only "complaint" was the transmission wouldn't hold gears as long as I'd like in ECO under normal driving/throttle. Though I didn't view this as anything bad enough to want to get rid of the truck or even consider it a POS, I actually love the truck..bare in mind I do own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (owned since new) with the its legendary all iron and bullet proof straight 4.0L w/AT so I know what a solid low end torque truck 6 Cyl motor with an AT is supposed to feel like and even with this I was happy enough with the eng/tranny combo to view the 3rd Gen great truck so far.

Anyway, I asked them to do REV 1 for me for the hell of it and they did it without any question/hesitation and they even added the sticker to my hood stating the new flash was done without me asking (I didn't ask up front b/c I wanted to get a sense as to whether or not the Service team followed procedure or not) My initial assessment is the transmission is indeed holding gears a bit longer (a few hundred rpms longer..esp 1 the 3) which make the truck feel less sluggish. I know the truck will need to reestablish its AI transmission learning, but I can say the truck feels more peppy this go around than from the first day I picked the truck up new with only 4 miles on it. I'll continue to report back my impressions with Rev1 as I get more miles under its belt.

19. Apr 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    TexTaco2017

TexTaco2017 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have had my 17 taco for about 1 month now(1300 miles). Before I even heard of tranny issues I noticed it was very sluggish, especially getting on the highway. I was concerned and I did a Google search. I almost fell out of my chair with how many hits. Nearly half a million hits. I said to myself, what Toyota have major issues! I have always equated Toyota with problem free. I have owned 5, all new with no problems at all. Ironically this is the first one I didn't get the extended warranty. Now I am concerned. I have used the ECT button and it is better, but it is not in a convenient location, like on the steering wheel for quick access. Also it's probably not to good to always have it on. Probably take a hit on MPG also. I hope it will be resolved soon. Of course if you ask any salesman about it they say they haven't heard of it. This is probably the first vehicle I have bought without doing research on it before hand. After joining Tacoma World I stumbled across this discussion. If it goes out I hope it is while in the 60K powertrain warranty.:mad:

20. Apr 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Much of the issues of which people are experiencing aren't about the reliability of the transmission or the engine. I still firmly believe the Tacoma engine and transmission will last a long time. The issues are primarily with the the way they work together. I believe these shifting matters can be resolved with software updates. Whether or not Toyota wants to change it is up to them. It's a give and take.

mikey4x4 and SLO TRD like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top