1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0077-16 Rev 1

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by illogical, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Apr 4, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    T.T.T

T.T.T Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road access cab [SOLD]
    Sounds like it’s time to regear.

2. Nov 12, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    CaliforniaExplorer

CaliforniaExplorer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wil
    Placer County
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4-dr
    ARE shell, LASFIT lighting, more soon
    A question on TISB 0077-16-1, if anyone is still on this thread-- I recently (Oct 2019) convinced my local dealership, after much effort, to update my 2016 with this update. Looking at the paperwork, it mentions 007-16, not 007-16-1. Can I rest assured it is actually the most recent update and the tech wasn't super specific in filling out the tag?

3. Dec 9, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    MarksBlackTaco

MarksBlackTaco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DC/SB
    mudflaps, window guards
    Bought a 2016 Tacoma SR5 A/T pre-owned with only 12k miles. I love the truck, but there are a few distinct transmission issues. I'm well aware this model is "geared"/programmed for gas mileage, but there is no doubting the transmission was not properly tuned or tested correctly before selling these trucks. I believe the core issue is that there is a TERRIBLE mis-match between engine transmission...Specifically that the engine has low torque, and high/nominal horsepower at very high RPMS. The problem is that the transmission is programmed/geared COMPLETELY opposite. This transmission keeps the RPM's extremely low unless you MASH the throttle, but once you floor it, the transmission is far too slow to "wake up" and shift quickly.

These issues below are quite problematic for such an "advanced" $35+K small truck...

1: Hard "slam" during downshift from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop.
    2: Getting "stuck" in 4th gear in cruise control, and trans not up-shifting...and eventually (after finagling/pumping the gas pedal for a minute), up-shifting/downshifting non-stop rapidly from 4-5-6 back to 6-5-4 etc.
    3: 1st acceleration on cold day has a large shift flare from 3rd to 4th.
    4: Getting on a highway, the truck will sometimes miss gears altogether and just "rev", or downshift far too late, then accelerate way too fast.

Honestly, I know this isn't a Toyota Camry, but it's disconcerting that there have been better/smoother shifting automatic trucks for 15-20 years.

And now I hear we may have low A/T fluid??? that's frightening because I cannot even check it. If I have the dealer "check" the fluid, they probably won't manually check it anyway, they'll just check via the OBD2.

Also - I have an issue where my brake pads "Click" loudly when going between Reverse and Drive. It sounds like they are lose enough to fall out.

4. Dec 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    J Lu

J Lu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    step rails, "bull" bar

*************** Hey - I have had this same problem with my 2019 - I called Toyota and they said they know nothing about any problems or dislikes about the transmission. If I were to try and describe it, I would say this:

Imagine you are stopped at a red light waiting to turn left. When the light turns green and as you start to navigate through the intersection, it feels like the truck is in 4th or 5th gear before it makes it under the light. Seems like they took this "gas economy" concept wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too far and now we are continuously traveling around - rocking back and forth in high gears when in a low gear and high torque situation. I hate this - I have driven my friends 2004 Nissan Frontier and it responds appropriately regardless of the position of the gas pedal - providing the desired acceleration throughout. Mine ($40+ thousand dollars later and 15 years newer) does not. Do you agree???

We all have got to get on the phone (wait a long time for someone to answer - but they answer and seem genuinely concerned) with Toyota and report these complaints. Toyota can fix this - easily - by way of an "update" or "patch" - it would be fixing the computer. But they will not do ANYTHING unless we make our concerns known. This can only happen if we communicate with them. Has anyone notified Toyota????

- askin for a friend (hee hee)

MarksBlackTaco likes this.
  5. Dec 10, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    J Lu

J Lu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    step rails, "bull" bar
    My truck without any modifications - stock (Tacoma 4dr TRD sport) is getting 17 MPH - regardless of any conditions - I swear to you, this is exactly the same mileage I was getting with my 2002. I am so disappointed that I have sacrificed so much responsiveness and performance for absolutely no increase in MPH. Does anyone else have this problem?

MarksBlackTaco likes this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    J Lu

J Lu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    step rails, "bull" bar
    KevC - can you please message me somehow - I am having so many concerns about this transmission thing and do not know how to navigate around this "forum" - I would like to fix my truck and be happy with it and am having problems figuring out how to do this - your help would be greatly appreciated -

7. Dec 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    DaveEEE

DaveEEE Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma
    2" lift, Gibson ehaust, Pro grill, powder coated wheels
    Has anyone with a 2019 had a TSB update for there transmission? If so do you know the TSB number>

Mine shifts very erratically.

To Top