1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0077-16 Rev 1

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by illogical, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    Danielnc06

Danielnc06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD DCLB
    This may fix the shift flare i get as well when its shifting while cold. keep us updated when its released!. Thanks OP

poppy510 likes this.
  2. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    bradwhitenikki

bradwhitenikki Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Off Road 6sp Auto
    It would be smart to get the new TSB when it is released... for a multitude of reasons. Also note: they are adding some other improvements that are not listed on the rev1 version: like cleaning up shift flaring issues.

mikey4x4 likes this.
  3. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM
    bradwhitenikki

bradwhitenikki Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Off Road 6sp Auto
    They are working on that.

Danielnc06[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    As I understand some dealerships require proof of one or more of the issues occurring before applying the TSB, like my dealership. I had the TSB applied on Monday, however with this Revision, does it revise the programming for the initial 3 issues? Or is it only being revised for the 4th, busy shifting, issue?

Also, since the original TSB was removed from being further applied, it sounds like the initial TSB isn't fully appropriate to resolve all of the initial 3 issues, otherwise they'd keep it in place until the new one is released. Therefore, for all those that already got the initial TSB applied, do we automatically get the revision? (I'm sure the answer is No, but putting it out there).

I'm sure like everyone with the AT, the shifting is "busy" and hunts more than expected. I take it we would need to prove this to the dealership, on the highway, going up a slight incline? Some, like me, would need to drive quite a ways to just find this specific location to replicate the problem. Mine shifts "busy" just going up streets. It doesn't have to be on the highway (or going highway speeds).

To clarify, I ask these questions for people's thoughts only. Not necessarily for THE answer as some only Toyota programmers/engineers could answer.

barcelona7568 likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2016 at 5:41 PM
    Murrayb4

Murrayb4 Internet Toyota Tech

Member:
    Downingtown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB with 3 pedals
    Custom cracked windshield
    It's amazing how much the general public thinks Toyota shares with the dealerships.

" shift issues have been addressed" is basically all that is said. The general public provides the feedback.

As of now, it is unknown if the revised TSB is different. Right. Ow it really seems the only update is to the description. People have always said it did more than the reverse to drive engagement and cruise control delays...
    So the TSB description now includes the hunting in the description.

If they had a typo in the description, they would call it a revision to fix said typo. Don't assume the "revised" TSB is any different than the earlier version.

It seems that they are working on a further update, hence the "TBD" for the failed part number.
    I need to look at the latest version compared to what is in my vehicle to see if anything is anything different, which I doubt it is. The old TSB still applies. It still corrects the older known issues. It can still be loaded into vehicles.

Give them time. Updates require a change to be made in a control group, then feedback to see if said fix actually works or not.
    This is how vehicles are developed too, and look what slipped through the cracks. Be patient. And then when you are wondering if they are getting anywhere, just continue to be patient.
    And then double that time to wait.
    And then triple that.

Rando and jsinnard like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    Ncsurveyor

Ncsurveyor Well-Known Member

Member:
    The original tsb is still available, I just had it done this afternoon. It's night and day difference, I just don't expect it to last based on everybody else's experience.

7. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:38 PM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    My cruise and reverse to drive lag issues have not returned after a couple of months.

8. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    bucktowntaco

bucktowntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    Mine hunts all the time. Very frustrating

mikey4x4 likes this.
  9. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    melikeymy beer

melikeymy beer Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    To everyone considering buying the 3rd gen please do a thorough test drive first. Do not be this guy.

Tucktuck8 and Pittrider like this.
  10. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    I hope so. Been holding off, waiting for the 12 month service. Now if there is a new update and not released, it might mean waiting for the 18 month service before being applied. Reverse to drive delay drives me a little crazy at times. Didn't think it was something that needed addressing out of regular servicing, I could live with it until it was ready for its regular servicing.

melikeymy beer likes this.
  11. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    bucktowntaco

bucktowntaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    I'll go on to say while frustrating it's no deal breaker!

12. Oct 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM
    Smoothmove

Smoothmove Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR CEMENT
    MesoCustoms
    I at first thought that the trans hunts for the gears all of the time. This is compared to a 2015 VW golf manual 6 speed from whence I came. I am getting used to it.

I had a 2000 Xterra and it would rev high and hunt for gears. So, I don't think it is Taco specific.

Pushing the ect button helps. The downshifting uphill and not wanting to upshift on straight away is annoying. If you dump it to manual mode, it will upshift. Until the next hill.

dYL0n likes this.
  13. Oct 29, 2016 at 3:32 AM
    Dirk_Pitt

Dirk_Pitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tacoma Limited
    I have had several occurrences where my 17 Limited would downshift on a hill and never upshift, even if I moved the shifter into S mode. In S mode, I could bump the shifter into 5th and 6th, the dash would indicate the correct gear number, but the trans would not shift. The only way that I found to resume normal operations was to come to a complete stop and let the trans "start over" from 1st gear. All occurrences that I have experienced have happened while on Cruise Control. I only have ~700 miles on it and am EAGER to see the TSB.

Smoothmove[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 29, 2016 at 5:35 AM
    viking15

viking15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    I have been patient. I wish they would come up with a TSB to resolve the howling diff.

Smoothmove likes this.
  15. Oct 29, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    Smoothmove

Smoothmove Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR CEMENT
    MesoCustoms
    Come to think of it, it is only when the cruise is on. When the cruise is off you can adjust the pedal to get it to shift.

16. Oct 29, 2016 at 6:14 AM
    scornwel

scornwel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    Understand, but again reorganization and relocation are the responsibility of management. Just saying.

bradwhitenikki likes this.
  17. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.
    I asked about an update for gear hunting when I was in for my 5k service and non was available also was 1.5qt low on trans. I will have to go back in for the lca plugs and will ask about the Rev 1 update.

18. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    Homesteader64

Homesteader64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Alpine White 17 DCSB TRD OR
    This seems to be my findings as well on my 17 OR. I haven't had it happen off cruise. The only other issue is the truck bogging a bit on highway. ECT mode makes it a much more enjoyable drive.

19. Oct 29, 2016 at 8:26 AM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    You have a misunderstanding of how S mode works, it doesn't indicate the gear you're in, only the highest gear it will shift to. It's still an automatic, not a manumatic.

When you shift from D to S the truck will automatically transition to "S4" which means the highest the transmission will shift is fourth gear. It will shift down as you slow down and shift up as you speed up essentially tuning the truck into a 4 speed automatic. If you move it to "S5" then the highest the transmission will shift is 5th gear (five speed) and so on. If you move down to S3, S2 or S1, you've limited the transmission to shifting up to those gears only but it will shift all the way down to 1st while in S2, 3 or 4 and back up when accelerating from a stop so it's still an automatic. It's just limited to the top gear that's indicated in the center screen.

The truck has two overdrive gears, 5 and 6 and the earlier versions of the transmission programming pushed for maximum use of the overdrive gears so you're lugging along at 1k rpms in 5th or 6th all the time to save gas mileage. As you speed up in the overdrive gears the transmission would have to either be slow to respond or kick down a gear or two to accelerate. In order to defeat accessing the OD gears 5 and 6 the engineers installed S mode so you can drive around saving gas with lower RPMs in D (ECO for lack of a better term) or just use S4 around town and S5, S6 or D on the highway.

If you don't want it to hunt using cruise control , use S5 with cruise on. The revs will be higher than in D but the hunting will be less. if setting cruise on flat ground over 75, use D or S6 just remember at the higher gear it will still kick down depending on slope to maintain speed. Just like riding a multispeed bike and if you want to maintain speed, you might need to downshift to keep up momentum.

I've said this a few months ago, I think a lot of the transmission complaints regarding shiftiness would not be so prevalent had they labelled things differently. If they programmed S4 to be "D" on the transmission selector, S5 as OD1 and S6 /D as ECO and a little light turned on the dash indicating such, people wouldn't be complaining as much. They would probably use D (S4) and OD (S5) all the time and think the truck shifts fine, when they set it to ECO they think the shiftiness is normal due to the truck trying to save gas at all costs.

But because everyone wants to set it to D and forget about it, people are complaining because in this case D doesn't drive like other cars or trucks in the past.

The currecnt TSB removed the R-D delay and reduced the aggressiveness of accessing the OD gears 5 and 6 at lower speeds by extending some of the shift points but it will still climb to them eventually to maintain better mpg. To prevent the transmission from climbing to the OD gears at all S mode is still available to use.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    407guy, Mikeyb16, TheKang and 6 others like this.
  20. Oct 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    Ed Crankshaft

Ed Crankshaft Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD 4X4 DCSB
    Thank you Mr. Sinnard. Your explanation makes sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top