1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

T-SB-0077-16 Rev 1

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by illogical, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Oct 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    scornwel

scornwel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    I dropped by the Toyota dealer outside Fort Worth, TX. I just wanted to ask about the latest TSB.

They were slow and had time to talk. I spoke with the SM and a tech. Here are some interesting take a ways.....
    -They both were well aware of the ongoing Tacoma trans issue.
    -The SM said they've flashed a lot of them.
    -They both said that the Tacomas have odd shifting compared to other Toyota products.
    -The shifting on new ones feels fine and the odd behavior happens after a few thousand miles. This would explain why I didn't notice anything wrong with mine initially.
    -The SM said that Toyota has found nothing mechanically wrong...it's all software related.
    -Rev 1 of the TSB adjusts shiftpoints only

They were extremely honest about the whole thing and agreed to update mine on the next oil change at 20k.

They also mentioned that Rev 1 has been out for about a month.

2. Oct 29, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    Dirk_Pitt

Dirk_Pitt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tacoma Limited
    While I appreciate your input, I think that you should go back and re-read my problem description....So if I am on the interstate going 80 MPH on level ground (or even downhill), and I pull the shifter into S mode, should I be able to shift into S5 and/or S6??? By your own description, I would think so....Yes???

I have had several occurrences where no matter what, the transmission WILL NOT upshift after an automatic downshift to climb a hill in D. On all occasions, this has happened with cruise control on and I have only used S mode to try and remedy the situation without having to come to a complete stop. Understanding how S mode works is tangent to the issue that "I" am describing.

And BTW, your description of S mode operation is exactly how I would expect it to work...No misunderstanding on my part at all...

mikey4x4 and George1441 like this.
  3. Oct 29, 2016 at 3:43 PM
    Dirk_Pitt

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    This is contrary to what the new TSB article indicates (first post in this thread) and what my dealer told me on Friday....

4. Oct 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    When you're driving in D what does it default to when you move it to S mode, S4 or S5? Depending on revs even if you move the shifter up it may or may not cause the transmission to actually shift up, you've just set the higher range so it is possible to move it to S6 without the truck doing any shifting unless you increase speed.

Depending on what speed you have cruise at could be either right above or below one of the shift points so it might cause it to hang shift.

Try cruising the same stretch at 70-75mph and see if the truck shifts differently.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  5. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    Dirk_Pitt

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I think that you are still missing the point...The point of this thread are problems related to the mentioned TSB...One of the issues referenced in the TSB is "Delayed upshift when using cruise control", which I have witnessed several times in my 2017 Limited...I have been on the interstate, using cruise control in D, at around 78MPH with everything normal...I approach a hill, the trans will downshift as expected, climb the hill, and upon resuming level ground, never upshift. I have gone miles and miles and miles and the trans will NEVER upshift again until you come to a complete stop (all still in D on cruise control)...Even when you knock it off cruise control to exit the interstate, it will not upshift or "coast", it will decel as if you are manually holding a particular gear, compression braking, again all in D mode. END OF STORY

The only reference to S mode was on one of the above occurrences where, after knocking it off of cruise control, I moved the shifter to S mode to see if I could get it to upshift using ANY OTHER MEANS...S mode, in reference to THIS THREAD was only an attempt at a means to an end, a trouble-shooting step, to introduce something else the transmission might interpret as a command to upshift...

mikey4x4 and avitaco like this.
  6. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    Toyota probably pilots fixes in certain markets before making them widespread. There is a "fix" for the rumble strip vibration issue that some dealerships have been authorized to try out.

7. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    Dirk_Pitt

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    I agree...And I have volunteered my truck as a test subject for the "Delayed upshift when using cruise control" symptom...It may never amount to anything, but I wanted my dealership to know that I was willing to help...

8. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Command to upshift would be increase your speed with your foot and see what happens.

Drive your truck as you wish, complain as you must.

9. Oct 29, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    Dirk_Pitt

Member:
    Carrollton, GA
    Vehicle:
    So it is your opinion that when the vehicle downshifts to climb a hill on cruise control (which is designed to maintain speed), the truck should never upshift again until you command it to increase speed??? Have you ever driven any other vehicle with cruise control, because that is not how it works on anything else...

Cruise Control is a "speed maintainer"...The transmission should always shift to the highest numeric gear to maintain the best vehicle efficiency...Downshifts and upshift are inevitable, but the transmission must always upshift when there is no need to run in a numerically lower gear (level ground, downhill, etc)...And this is EXACTLY one of the items that this TSB references...

Trust me when I say, when this happens, my truck will never upshift again until you come to a complete stop...I have tried S mode...I have tried to "increase speed with my foot" as you suggested...I have tried several things that would normally allow it to upshift...Nothing....

And I am not complaining just to be complaining...I love my ~700 mile truck, even with this quirk I would not change my purchase decision even if I could...I did months of research before I made my purchase decision and I could have bought ANYTHING...I am just one owner who is experiencing an issue that others must also be experiencing based on this TSB...

10. Oct 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    I have 10k miles on my truck, initial TSB was done at 5k miles. Since then the truck has performed as I want it to. It has also adapted to my driving style while at the same time I've adapted to it. I'm happy with how the truck drives, just don't expect it to drive like anything else, that's what many complain about.

If you think you need the TSB then get it done but at only 700 miles, give it a bit more time to adapt. Mine seemed to change quite a bit at the 1500 mile mark.

Kilokato likes this.
  11. Oct 29, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    Street Taco

Street Taco Consistently Inconsistent

Member:
    Jax Beach
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5
    I am thankful for all the TW users for posting about this subject. My Tacoma was hunting for gears and surging/ clunking into almost all gears. After seeing posts I had her checked for low transmission fluid at 1100 miles and had a quart added. No charge.

The gear hunting and surges were reduced except from 1st into 2nd. The hesitation from reverse to drive was there still.

After reading up on the TSB I got her in for the 5000 miles service on 10/27/2016 and received the TSB. No charge.

The delay is nonexistent, shifting is smooth to all gears. City gas mileage has improved, but highway mileage seems to have gone down (just one drive of 9 miles at 70). I drive under 55 most of the time and drive 900 miles a month so I like the changes.

I refuse to hate on my girl. I get your frustrations, but the problem is fixable.
    Cheers, happy wheelin!

12. Oct 29, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    bensonxj

bensonxj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport
    @Dirk_Pitt Something is messed up with your truck for sure. Before the TSB mine would hang like that. However, if I pressed on the accelerator it would upshift. I got used to driving like that. Post TSB it will upshift at the top of the hill like any normal cruse control.

bradwhitenikki likes this.
  13. Oct 30, 2016 at 5:07 AM
    Kilokato

Kilokato Go Vols!

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Access Cab V6 Auto 4wd
    Limited wheels, extra rope hooks in bed.
    I've decided I wish any new update would prohibit the transmission from going into 6th till 50 mph at least.

When I drive in 5th select at less than 50 mph, gas mileage seems to go up and there is much less gear hunting

14. Oct 30, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    scornwel

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    Just repeating what the SM said.

15. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    scornwel

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    This is solid advice. The truck is intentionally different. Give it time and maybe you will adapt.

For me, I don't like the design, if it is intentional. My hope is that Rev 1 adjusts the shift points to a more traditional driving style. I will gladly trade the mpg for it.

mikey4x4 likes this.
  16. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:04 AM
    scornwel

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD OR 4x4
    None
    I'm thinking the same thing. REV 1 should not be so aggressive at shifting to 5th AND 6th

Kilokato[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    bradwhitenikki

bradwhitenikki Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Trd Off Road 6sp Auto
    I see where you are going. If there is a bug in a loop in the code, sometimes you can sidestep out of the code loop that is stuck, exiting that loop by changing states. It seems this is what you were trying to do. If successful, this could identify the troubled code loop.

18. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    TacoLpastor

TacoLpastor Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB OR 4X4
    My truck has the same issue. I never use cc because I would get like 13 mpg.

19. Oct 30, 2016 at 6:45 AM
    auditechnician

auditechnician Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm truly wondering if they really did check you fluid....notice on the RO it shows no flagged time....techs don't work for free...especially when it is warranty. I'm not sure how long it takes to check the fluid, but I know it's more than 6 minutes, which means they should be billing Toyota for the labor to check.

They fixed my rumble by turning the drums (.10 inch runout) and new leaf springs and steering damper. They knew I wasn't going away, and I had some serious leverage due to a dash cam recording that put them in a bad light.

20. Nov 1, 2016 at 3:41 AM
    tacowillyoma

tacowillyoma Active Member

Member:
    I had the transmission flash done on 10/28 and since then my truck has driven noticeably better. Its not perfect, it will hang up around third once in awhile while really giving it the gas and also hangs up in 5th going up long hills but eventually shifts. Really nice seeing what power the engine has while smoothly going thru the gears. I will get the new flash at next appt. Color me satisfied though!

Products Discussed in

To Top