1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Table saw accident (update: gore added with spoiler button)

Discussion in 'Health' started by AmherstAndy, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Glad it came out relatively minor for you (compared to what it could have been). Similar thing happened to my Dad about 20 years ago; he had 40+ years experience with woodworking and power tools at the time, and just got distracted for a second while ripping down boards while making a bunch of project kits for kids (mostly from the foster/group home system in the area) at an annual "camp" he volunteered with. Accidentally fed his thumb tip over the blade at an angle, then tried to drive himself to a local hospital ER while in shock.

I don't need to see the "gore" pics, since I got to watch the ER docs (I lived about 45 minutes from where he'd been working at the time) break down the end of the bone with pliers so they could make a flap and pull it around the end of the thumb in real time. His biggest problem afterward was that they'd used the skin from under the nail to cover the tip, so any time he bumped his thumb into anything for the next 12-18 months he felt it all the way up his arm.

2. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    AmherstAndy

AmherstAndy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L 5 speed, 4x4 J shift, Xtracab
    I had removed the accessory handle to reach a tight spot. Never again. I'm always amazed at the videos of pro-fabricators using their angle grinders one-handed. Accident waiting to happen.

DingleTower[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Don't sleep on a plunge router. 3HP motor run off a toggle/rocker switch that's hard to find once the mayhem gets underway...

4. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:25 AM
    AmherstAndy

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the eye bleach, and for responding so quickly. Learned something new about the spoiler function.

memario1214[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    Rabbitguy91

Rabbitguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB 6MT
    When I was in wood shop in high school there was a Saw Stop. Only one time did I ever see it retract and it was after the substitute teacher did a similar amount of damage to the inner part of their thumb. I’m sure that it is better to have that measure of safety but from my experience it doesn’t prevent all dangers. The power feeder is a good idea too.

6. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    AmherstAndy

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Oof. I suppose nothing is foolproof, but I imagine in that case it could have been much worse.

7. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    They stitch the nail back on?

8. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM
    AmherstAndy

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Sort of. Keeping the fragment in place with sutures should help it heal a bit better and more quickly, but I will certainly have to wait for it to grow out to look even remotely normal again. Time will tell. BTW, that part was the most painful of the whole ordeal; the lidocaine hadn't taken effect in the nail bed, so the Dr. got a couple of yelps out of me, LOL.

Tacospike[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    9th grade, school went on lockdown after a kid in woodshop cut off 4 1/4 fingers in one swoop.

10. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:44 AM
    AmherstAndy

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Not sure why the "lockdown", but it's tragic for that to happen to a child. Kids sometimes do stupid things, but I wonder if there may have been some negligence on the part of the school.

11. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Basically, they didn't want to have a bunch of kids in the hall when ems was going through with a kid on a stretcher and a bucket of ice and fingers.
    No clue how it happened.

AmherstAndy[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    This.

I was stupid in highschool and had seized drum brakes on my van. Cut the drum off with an angle grinder. Had the grinder kick at one point and it tapped my leg through my jeans. Had no idea I had hit myself until I felt "wet" running down my leg. Had a nice 2-3" gash that was at least a 1/4" deep. Must have gone right through the nerves as there was zero pain. I also wasn't wearing safety glasses.......

Products Discussed in

To Top