1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Hilton - my sleeping platform and custom truck tent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DueNorth, May 22, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Hey guys, since i couldn't make Moab this past weekend i decided to organize a local wheelin trip in Northern Ontario. Since i wasn't going to bring the dogs i figured sleepling outta the truck would work best for my gf and I. So my task was to build the platform and my gf was in charge of making a tent to surround the tailgate and topper. Well here are the results... :D

Fairly straight forward for the platform. A 10' - 2"x10" piece of lumber for the supports and some 1"x6" fence boards for the cross members. Finished it up with some 7/16" OSD board. I didn't bother carpeting it because all my camping gear was going on top and below and my spare tire was gonna be on the shelf as well. I figured an extra blanket laid out on top would do the trick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to the tent... this is version 1.0 but it worked out great! My gf would like to take it in a little at the bottom and still add some buttons to seal the flaps but for $60 it worked perfectly! Super easy to setup and take down and takes up little to no space when packed away. Our plan is to use a 10x10 quick pop gazebo for extra shelter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. May 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Nice man! I am going to be making one of those things soon but I am going to be putting in doors and hinges so that I can utilize the space underneath for all my camping supplies etc. You toss a mattress ontop of that bad boy?

3. May 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I originally planned on using hinges but my buddy came up with a better concept using some removalable fitted supports. The tailgate platform comes right off and gets flipped upside down and slid to forward in the bed. That way it doesn't take up any space really.

4. May 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Oh and yes we were using those 3" mattress pads. I find them to be really comfortable.

5. May 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Right on, thats a good idea, I am planning on drawing something up soon and building it to use this summer while hunting and camping.. you use 2x8's for supports or what?

Nevermind, Read the Post haha sorry!

6. May 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Haha no worries ;)

7. May 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    jprovence

jprovence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Albany
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    I love the idea of using my truck as a campsite, but the problem I have is that my truck is the campsite. If I drive a long ways away to go camping, say to another state, I'd have to bring a real tent so I could get where I wanted to go.

8. May 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    deeznutz

deeznutz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Looks awesome! More details on the tent though? I want to make something like that but don't know where to start.

Oh btw, here's pics of my sleeping platform :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. May 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, i originally was going to purchase this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20745?&&CS_003=2477120&CS_010=20745
    but after my gf looked at it she said she could make one without a problem. So in the interest of saving money, i let her go at it. :)

It really isn't that bad to camp outta the truck. Takes a little to unpack everything but in all honesty, i can unload the truck and wrap our tent around the back and set up beds before everyone is done setting up their own tent. This is much quicker. I'm going to bring a 10x10 gazebo with me to provide a little privacy and extra cover for our campsite. The only reason i don't bring a tent is because in the rocky north of Ontario you really have a hard time staking down a tent, especially anything bigger than a two person.

Thank you and i really like your setup as well! Those individual compartments will be really handy, especially for stuff at the front of the box. The tent material my gf used was some nylon ripstop type that should be fairly water proof. The screening was picked up at our local hardware store and sewn (sp?) inside. I think the total cost for materials was around $60 plus and whatever time it took her to put it all together.

10. May 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    nice!!!!

11. May 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    That is a good looking tent solution. I sleep in the back of my AC cab a few times year. The extra room with the tailgate down would be great.

Looks like northern shield country. Is that Killarney?

12. May 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Close, but not so far north. That's Parry Sound area. :)

lol There's no shame in fabric fabrication, since i've been know to try that from time to time. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top