1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco Hit

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BLS NE, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Apr 9, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    BLS NE

BLS NE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BLS
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition lunar rock
    My 2019 TRD Sport was rear-ended two days ago. Rear bumper/hitch receiver destroyed but nothing else. $2600 to fix.

Question for Taco owners: should I pursue Diminished Value with the other driver's insurance company (USAA)? I would think the truck is worth at least $2500 less if I tried to sell it with an accident/insurance claim reported on the VIN # but I'd like some other opinions. Thx!

damage.jpg

2. Apr 9, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab TRD Offroad. quicksand in color
    you can and should try but its up to you to prove it.

3. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    Good luck with $2500, you won't see that kind of diminished value payout. If at all.

Chew, UncleShrek and abodyjoe like this.
  4. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    ICU1

ICU1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never hurts to try.

5. Apr 11, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    BLS NE

BLS NE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BLS
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition lunar rock
    So I went to www.wreckcheck.com and entered my info and it estimated $2450 in diminished value. Another website said $7500.

I emailed the guy at the dealership where I bought it, and he said if the vehicle is fully repaired and the repair shows up on the VIN # (why wouldn't it?) it's worth $1000 less.

So I'll give it a try.

6. Apr 11, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    abodyjoe

abodyjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double cab TRD Offroad. quicksand in color
    i'dd say its worth about 1200 less. my son ran into the same issue. they told him if it didn't show up on carfax it had been worth about 1200 more. his only had a door painted because someone backed into it. 2017 DC sport 4X4 with like 20k on it.

7. Apr 11, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    fastforwarddad

fastforwarddad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    I had this happen to me only the players were different...I was in my car, 2018 ZL1, parked at a McDonalds, as i am walking back to the north 40 (area I always parked in to avoid shit like this) I noticed a girl barely catch the bumper on my Z. Her 2017 Civic didn't have a straight panel on it but i digress. Long story short, the damage was 900.00 and to redo the ceramic coating was about 1000.00.

Her insurance company gave me 800.00 for diminished value. It was a negotiation for sure where they go low and you go high and you both hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

This girl probably had her insurance agent on speed dial seeing her car was damaged on every corner or maybe the fact that I am in California could have played a role in their settling with me. For me I figured it was worth a try, all they could do is tell me no.

8. Apr 11, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
  9. Apr 12, 2020 at 12:51 AM
    mrkabc

mrkabc Mall Crawler with a Locker

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB TRD OR
    Morimoto XB LED Head & Fog Lights, Cali Raised Stealth Light bar, OEM Roof Rack, Homelink Compass Mirror, Power Tailgate Lock, LED bed lights, MESO mirrors, gashole, switch panel & Stage 2 tails, PRO grille. Where's the mall?
    I'm in the biz. @BlessThisMess speaks the truth. You might get a "good neighbor" token amount but all of these guys on this forum that spout off about receiving fat settlement checks for diminution of value are armchair quarterbacking you and serving up unrealistic hopes.

10. Apr 12, 2020 at 1:23 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Don't know about the diminished value. Doesn't hurt to try.
    I do know that receiver is attached to the frame. Make sure they double check your frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top