1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

taco issues not resolved yet..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ywen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    ywen

ywen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
  3. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    boom??

4. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Probably the single greatest argument in the history of man. Who needs to put things like facts....or even opinions...down for people to think about when you have "boom"

5. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    ywen

Member:
    You have the ability to read and comprehend the facts for yourself right?

6. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i would have to think long and hard before buying/upgrading to a "new" tacoma.my 05 has been great.sounds like alot of the problems are on the 09 and 10s.

7. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah....I do. I don't however think you posted anything "earth shattering."
    If you didn't see this coming since the recalls started-Well...Needless to say "boom" doesn't describe what I felt. Mine was more of a "no shit...".

Of course they are going to go back and re-evaluate all the complaints.

8. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Okay well then the above sentiment was different than your 1st reply.. Had you began with stating your viewpoint as such I wouldn't have questioned your reading comprehension skills.

9. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    From 2005 to 2008 Toyota sold over 675,000 tacomas. Make the math easy and say they're up to 750,000 now, which is a very conservative and low balled estimate.

100 complaints? That's one per roughly 7500 (probably more) vehicles. You're going to have a hard time convincing me it's outside the normal number of defects seen in any vehicle manufacturing process.

I'm sorry, but panic is panic. You're more likely to die from heart disease than your Tacoma. If you're not scared of eating french fries, you're not allowed to be scared of unintended acceleration in your truck.

10. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Pretty sure you could have thought about it for two seconds and realized that I read (and posted) in a few threads around here....so reading comprehension isn't really an issue.

Now...Since you didn't do that...I can only assume this (and the majority of your recent posts) is just trolling for attention on this given topic. (cause it's not like there is a LACK of threads to post this article in...but you started a new one??)

11. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Do you actually know the industry norm? The market share : complaints ratio against toyota is significantly higher than the rest of the industry, hence the heightened attention on Toyota issues.

I don't know the actual figure for Tacomas but as a brand, 40% of all complaints from last year of sudden acceleration were against Toyota. Tell me that figure is not outside the norm.

AFAIK, my post was the first thread linking to that source indicating ALL Tacoma sudden acceleration issues are being looked into. If it's a repost, then I'm sorry.

12. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
  13. Feb 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yes.

Yes

douche_7c944ef55dc1b6399ccb4bd6a8a93554b00e34c6.jpg

14. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    That's only one hundred on file. I wonder how many complaints died at the dealership.

15. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm not concerned with the industry norm. The only aspect I care about here is whether this situation was within Toyota's quality control specs. No manufacturing process can ever have a 100% quality success rate. It's a statistical impossibility.

100/675,000+ is probably well within their error margin. You can ask them for the statistics yourself, but I doubt they're going to give you proprietary information.

I'd need to see the stats. Logic would dictate that the company that sells more vehicles than any other would likely receive more complaints than any other.

Don't misunderstand me: Toyota may have a problem with sudden acceleration. But the problem is so mathematically remote, I'm not going to give a shit about it until it becomes more likely to happen to me than being hit by a meteor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OtbXmu9kg

You know what? Never mind. Excuse me while I go panic.

16. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    How many deserved to?

In other words, how many of these problems are genuinely a result of Toyota's manufacturing/parts, how many are a result of poor maintenance, how many are a result of driver error, how many are just dumb luck?

Assigning those categories properly is the 65 million dollar question.

As stated, I'm not going to freak out until someone can give me a legitimate reason to do so that poses more danger to me than death by shark attack.

17. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    ywen

Member:
    Yeah obviously.. that should go without saying. The fact is, Toyota has about 16% US market share but 40% of all sudden acceleration claims from last year.. If you think that 40% figure is acceptable then I believe you will be in the minority.

18. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eu3cPBu460
    boom

19. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha wtf!

20. Feb 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I have a rule of thumb in life:

- If they give you percentages, the numbers are small.
    - If they give you numbers, the percentages are small.

40% of claims? Great. How many sudden acceleration claims were there?

You're essentially saying to me:

"Of people that had a certain kind of problem, most of them had them with Toyotas!"

And I'm replying

"Yes, but the likelihood of having that kind of problem in any vehicle of any brand is miniscule and not even worth thinking about unless you're scared of your shadow."

And you are rebutting

"But if you did, it would probably be with a Toyota!"

Do you see why I still don't care? Do you see why you won't be able to make me until you show up with something other than media panic?

Products Discussed in

To Top