1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco n00b with a few questions/needing advice

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RPC, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    RPC

RPC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Galveston, TX
    I'm looking for a second truck so I won't be DD'ing my race truck :)cool:), going to be mainly used for driving to school and work. My main requirement is that it be a prerunner, I'd rather have an regular cab but can go either way with the trans. I've read alot of threads about auto vs. manual Tacomas and noticed that the 2nd gen trucks get better mileage with an auto trans, is this the same case with the 1st gen trucks?

In my search for a truck I came across this guy:
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/2923607795.html

Does said truck raise any red flags for y'all? I know these trucks are known for their reliability but how long does that last before the issues start to arise? I'm a fairly decent mechanic so I'll be doing any repairs myself but I'd rather not be forking out money for a new engine or trans while I'm saving up for go fast goodies for my current truck.

Thanks for any help guys, lots of great information on this forum! :cheers:

2. Apr 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB SR5 4X4
    FWIW, I have an 03 v6 5spd extracab and an 04 v6 auto double cab. The 5spd gets about 1 mpg better than the auto.

As for the truck you are looking at, it looks nice and well maintained. Both my trucks are in the 15x,xxx miles area and running strong. Neither truck uses oil between oil changes. I think it depends on the care the truck has had, but with good care you got some reliable transportation there.

Just in case here is the first gen buyers guide

Check for frame rust, but with southern trucks that usually isn't a problem.

3. Apr 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    5 speed or bust.

Otherwise, "grand babies" indicates a papaw drove it which is probably a good thing.

That deal looks fine. However, I would be curious about what "well maintained" meant. There is more to it than washing and oil changes. Like:

-Diff fluid changes
    -T-case fluid changes
    -Tranny fluid changes
    -Water pump, thermostat, accessory belts
    -Plugs and wires
    -PCV valve, fuel filter, air filter
    -Shocks, alignment
    -Brake pads, brake shoes, and rotors
    -Tire condition

If you are looking at picking up a DD, you want to have as cheap an initial investment as possible. This happens to mean more than just the cost of the vehicle, but the taxes, registration, etc. It also means how much are you going to have to outlay to get the vehicle up to road condition or to a level of acceptable maintenance.

4. Apr 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    RPC

RPC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Galveston, TX
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll email the guy and ask what exactly has been done maintenance wise. I can afford to do the small things that you mention it's just something like a head gasket leak or the trans needing to be rebuilt would pose a larger problem :lol:

Bruce, thanks for the link, I've glanced at it before but I just blew off studying for an hour to do even more reading up on Tacos! I'll see you in the SEC next football season :thumbsup:

To Top