1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco or 4runner as a second vechicle????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by doodooboi, Nov 16, 2011.

?

Tacoma or 4runner as a Second vehicle?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2011.
  1. Tacoma 4x4

27.1%
  2. 4runner 4x4

72.9%
  1. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    doodooboi

doodooboi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD DCSB Sport/Prerunner
    So I already have a 09' TRD Sport Prerunner. But our second vechile is a 98' 4runner that just hit 230k. Now I finally conviced my wife to have the second vechile be 4x4.

So my dilema is should I go for another Taco but in a 4x4 model or get a 4x4 4runner?
    I was pricing out the new 2012 4runner Trail 4x4 and it's up in the high 30k at times touching the 40k mark.
    I like the idea of having a suv and a truck combo especially if my wife and I are going to be having kids. It just makes alot of sense and storageability with the 4runner. And would make it alot easier for her to get things like the stroller and groceries out.
    Just the price of the 4runner has me second guessing myself. Or should I just get another Tacoma put a bed divider and a hardshell topper and call it a day?
    I am also looking into previously own also but price between the two are still quite dramatic. Well enough for me to make a post about it.

2. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well like I said the price has really got me second guessing myself.
    Plus deep down inside I've been dreaming of having a Tacoma that's a 4x4. Wife convinced me otherwise with the purchase of the current Tacoma.

3. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Personally I would go with a 4Runner, but not a new one. Like you said they are over priced IMO. I would look for an 09 V8 AWD one with low miles in good condition. That is one of Toyota's best drive trains of all time.

4. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    Good question, I forgot to add. The main reason for me, and my wife finally giving into the 4x4 idea was to be able to go camping as a family away from camp grounds. So having a reliable 4x4 was the ticket. We are a big fans of getting out of the city and go do something quite and away from people.
    So best way is to hit up those camping spots that would require a 4x4 which are alot around these parts here in Arizona.
    Right now we have been camping in spots that would either require us to hike in through the 4x4 spot but with having kids/baby that would be tough.

5. Nov 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    Didn't know they came out with a AWD version of the 4runner? good to know. Something to keep in mind.

6. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Ya only with the V8 though, V6 is always 4wd.

7. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Living in AZ you likely wont need 4x4 unless you plan to go wheeling, go with whatever you can afford is my vote. Although Runners are very nice rigs and if you have or plan to start a family it would be the best choice I think. I considered a Runner when I was searching for a reliable college vehicle with 4x4 but went with the Tacoma because I use the bed quite often, plus it was super handy getting moved down here in August. Got all my stuff here in one trip! Never woulda happend with a Runner unless I used dad's small utility trailer to tow behind it!

8. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I would get a 4runner. You'll have the variety, as in, if you need to carry large amounts of luggage or go for a road trip, the enclosed 4runner would be a better option because you won't have to worry about your shit being stolen or damaged by the weather and the cabin is definitely roomier , versus if you need to haul a dresser or some rocks, you have the truck.

Its like having a people/comfort hauler and a work horse. Good combo.

9. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    If price is a big deal then get a Tacoma 4x4 w/ a cap... problem solved...

10. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    IMXCITD

IMXCITD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    right off the top...I don't like the new bodystyle 4runner that's out now....is way too boxy looking for me...so that gets rid of that right away. I would sell everything....go buy a new '12 tacoma....loaded all the way out the way you want it...then pick up a couple year old (read: last bodystyle) 4runner in the upper 20's that is mint like new and loaded out. Win win for everybody! :D

11. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get the Runner especially since you may be thinking of having kids. We have a 4Runner and my DC. For some stupid reason we recently went to Florida and took my truck instead of hers and it blew and we kicked ourselves for not taking her 4Runner. Actually we took mine as hers is a lease that is going back soon but stupid me forgot that we opted for 15,000 a year instead of 12 so chances are it will be going back in a couple months way the F under instead of almost being over as I orginally thought.:rolleyes:
    With an 11 month old, two dogs and the idea of trying for number two soon we also came to the conclusion that the 4Runner is just too small for our needs so we actually just bought an Acadia(I killed me to buy a GM). Only reason I mention it is we found the 4Runner with the baby and two dogs on trips super tight so if you decide to have one or more kids you may quickly grow out of another DC Tacoma real quick making the 4Runner the better choice. It may look like more money now but it will be cheaper to buy it now rather than get another Tacoma now and find yourselves having to trade it in and possibly losing on the deal in a couple of years. Just my opinion.

12. Nov 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    I like the possiblities of this! Now to do some homework with the V8 4runners. I really like the idea of AWD with center diff option to lock for 4wd availabilty. Wonder if the V8 in the 4runner differs alot from the tundra V8. The only con I see imidiately with this option is the gas usage/money. With the plan to have a family would this be a smart financial move with the V8? Time to do some research.

Ah good light being shed here. This quote above speaks in volume to me. Thanks.

This too is very plauseable! Being that we may be in the hole for two vehicles.

Again thanks to all for the great advice so far. These decision making stuff is really hard on us Gmemini's haha. Wants and needs! argh hahaha

13. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:

Now all this talk about going the V8 option would be just smarter to go with the Sequioa's? Being that It'll give me room and the possibillity of the same V8 with an option for a 4x4???

14. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    should sell the acadia and buy sequoia.

15. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    What's the point of having AWD/4WD? Why not one over the other?

16. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:

Have to admit I am. Only owned one vechile that wasn't a toyota, it was a 1978 Datsun pickup truck. Rebuilt the motor which an old lady never change the oil ever since she had it after her husband passed. Let's say about 4 1/2 years. She old drove it from the grocery store and home. 3miles each way.

17. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I would just keep 4wd and use it as needed

18. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    doodooboi

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:

I agree 110%, but alot of my fanboi-ness is more of a sentimental reason for me. :eek:

19. Nov 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    zzchipster

zzchipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 trd lwb trd sc
    trd s/c and exhaust, 5100's,bud builts
    we have a 2008 trd 4x4 taco w/sc and a 2006 v8 4x4 ltd 4runner. wouldnt have it any other way. the 4runner is the best road car and u can pack it to the gills, then add the basket on the back. only mod to the runner was turning the exhaust to the outside so it wouldnt melt my cooler in the rack. taco has 58k and 4runner 68k miles and both have 7yr 100k warranty. will drive both a long time.never had any trouble with either.

20. Nov 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trust me I wish we could have gotten the Sequoia, we looked but with all the same options that I have in the Acadia I would be looking at a $65K starting price point to negotiate from and Toyota dealers don't friggin' move that much on pricing or offer many rebates. I just bought an Acadia Denali with a sticker price of $50K and I was out the door for $41K with 0%. At the end of the day I didn't want a mortgage of a car payment for the Toyo. I like my Toyotas but not enough to spend that kind of coin for one.

Products Discussed in

To Top