1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco or FJ?

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Taco505, Feb 2, 2010.

?

Taco or FJ

Poll closed Mar 4, 2010.
  1. 1st gen taco/ pre 1st gen pickup 4X4

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Land cruiser FJ60/62

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    Ok guys so I need your help.

At the moment I have a 2008 2wd taco base model, and I hate not having 4x4. So I have been looking around for a used 4x4 something I may be getting in the up coming summer so nothing crazy expensive something I can find locally for a few grand.

So I know some of you are just going to say trade in your truck, well that’s not an option. I want to keep my taco as a daily driver and have another truck/suv to use for off roading, camping, take to the lake things like that.

So my dilemma I have no idea what I want, I have narrowed it down to a 1st gen taco/pretaco (not prerunner but Toyota pickup before the Tacoma) pickup, or an FJ60/62. So this is where I am stuck and want my fellow TW members to help me decide.

I want a truck because I am familiar with them, I love having a bed so I can haul stuff (I want an extended cab with a regular bed not a double cab with a short bed), I know there are vast amounts of aftermarket parts, and many other reasons, and well it’s a taco.

But on the other hand I would love to have an SUV to carry more than 2 people comfortably for more than an hour, I don’t have to worry about for getting things in the bed, if a really need to haul something I can just tow it or use my current truck, I can throw a good roof rack on top and carry stuff that way, I know there are also a lot of after market parts for the land cruisers too.

So this is where is need your help, help me decide on what to get give me some other PROS and CONS. I am still saving and have a few more months to decide but I just want to make a decision

any way thanks in advance sorry for such a long post!

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Well since you are keeping your truck I would suggest an SUV. You will like being able drive more than 2 people at once. Have you ever thought of a 4Runner, they are a little cheaper and easier to find??? Just a thought, I had a 98 4Runner and it was bullet proof. Never had any problems. Good luck with your purchase!

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    bigburrito

bigburrito Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    as of right now, 100% of people who have voted in this thread say go for the FJ60/62

4. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    automoto

automoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jersey shore
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4X4 AC
    Tough choice. Having another pick up would be cool esp. an older 4x4 taco/pretaco. Good off roading, you can throw a lot of shit in the bed, etc. The mods you can do are also unlimited,only to your budget. On the other hand you already have a pick up that you can use to haul or put whatever in, and having two pick ups might be redundant. You also still have the problem of not having enough room for other people.

An older 4x4 4runner or other SUV would also be good for off roading, has decent space for camping/fishing/whatever gear. A roof rack is always a possibility. The mods you can do are also unlimited only to your budget. You can also fit more people in it if you wanted to take a trip somewhere, and bring your friends. Your stuff would be inside the vehicle and wouldnt get wet from rain or snow, unless its on a roof rack.

Lastly it also comes down to your budget and what you can afford. Don't just buy something to buy something, i've done that and regretted it, find the right truck for you and your purposes. :thumbsup:

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Get an older version 4runner, they're abundant and cheap to fix up because there were so many made that there's a lot of parts for them everywhere.

6. Feb 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    sr5boy

sr5boy Well-Known Member

Member:
    tallahassee florida
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4
    demudflapped, debadged, relocated the 7-pin, 3'' fatbobs garage lift in front
    fj40!

7. Feb 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    well shit guys i guess so far its the FJ, but i really like the 4runners but for some reason i dont like them as much as the FJ's. i love the look of them and here where i live there is always a few on craigslist so not to hard to find.

but you are right that they are a little more expensive but i dont mnd that especially because its something i really want.

also i really really like the 40's but i just dont like the fact that there isnt as much room.

anyway keep it comin guys id still like to hear more about what you think!

8. Feb 2, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    You could get like a '89 4 runner. I think it's the same as the Toyota Pick-up. Just with removable cap and a roll bar.

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    get the FJ if you can find one...I would get an older 4 runner If i had the extra cash

10. Feb 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Get both...Or keep your truck and get a used cheap $700 tacoma or 4runner 4x4

11. Feb 4, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    haha well i dont think finding one will be that hard. on craigslist where i am there is prob about 4 or 5 for sale right now. but i think thats what im leaning toward

haha well gotta keep my current taco! but i like the 4runners with the removeable top but i still like the FJ's better, and ya i can still find a pretty cheap taco but like i said i think im leaning toward the FJ's more but well see!

Products Discussed in

To Top