1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco or....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gizzygone, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    Graduation is coming up soon. After 6 years of school, I'm about to start a job making very decent money.

I miss my old Silverado (lost it in an accident), and got a new Jeep wrangler in the meantime.

The Jeep has been good and bad... It's fun in the summer, it's easy to park and drive in the city, and it's nice to drive alone. But, it has given me a good share of headaches (Leaking top, broken bits n' pieces, clutch issues), it's loud on the highway (wind noise from soft top), and many of my friends don't feel the same Jeep vibe I do. Plus there's no cargo space (miss my bed!).

I have a ton in student loans, and I am getting married soon (Have to pay for wedding things). I'd LOVE to get a tundra, and while I could swing the payments, I don't think it's wise to be spending so much on a vehicle right now.

So I thought the Taco would be a nice intermediate. Get it before I get my dream tundra. But, the Taco isn't pennies a month either. I could get my Tundra for just a hundred bucks more a month than the Tacoma. But, the tacoma has no luxuries (ie: you get more out of the tundra for the money you pay: Leather, power seating, bigger bed, etc etc.).

Basically, I want to know what you would do if you were 24, graduating college with 200k in loans, getting married, and starting a job at 100k a year:

1:Keep my decent jeep and deal with it for a few years until you pay off the loans. It's a fun car at times, but it has no practicality. The warranty will be up in 8 months, so repairs will be out of pocket soon, but it'll also be paid off, so it'll be cheaper no matter what.

2: Buy the more practical and comfortable Tacoma. It'll be a great intermediate truck until you pay off your loans and maybe get a house.

3: Pay the extra $100-$200 a month and get your dream limited Tundra. Sure it's more money, but it's what you really want. Leather, navigation, climate control, larger bed, bigger engine, and not too bad on fuel either....

2. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    Option 2

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    I say stick it out with the jeep and get those student loans paid off

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    DUDE! get the tundra, you won't be happy if you settle!

your just gona want the tundra, and have to spend more money buying and selling and buying again.

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Get the Tundra. You'll regret not doing so and will actually spend more money than you want simply because you won't be satisfied getting a vehicle you have to settle for. I've done that and have had to go through 3 vehicles in a year and a half to get what I actually wanted and wasted a lot of money to do it.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Get the Tundra. You'll want it anyways, no point losing money on an interim vehicle. That's what I did with my Taco. Sure I could get a Ranger or a Canyon cheaper, but I'll just want a Taco anyways.

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    For about $200 you can buy a utility trailer to pull with the Jeep when you need 'bed space'.

That's the smart avenue, IMHO.

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    If you dont need extra cabin room, you can get a 4x4 reg cab. Same ground clearance as a Wrangler Rubicon with same size tires. About same wheel base and turning radius. has a bed. gets 23-24mpg. Reliable 2.7l. $20k price tag. 09-10 coma with auto LSD which is basically LSD front and rear. Its extremely capable. I love mine!!!

Almost bought a wrangler... since i bout my truck i out wheeled 2 wranglers. one was open-open the other only had lsd in the rear

9. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    NorthXNorthwest

NorthXNorthwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Creek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport DC 4X4 Not Debaged
    BHLM, Ultra Mammoths, Husky mats, K&N non true CAI, window tint, Avid Steps and light bar.
    Balance your debt obligation by buying one used OAC or just save up a few months and buy a tacoma outright. Just make sure you give yourself enough miles on the factory warranty to get all the TSB's done!

10. Dec 25, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Canton, GA (Atlanta)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma trd Sport Lightly modded
    -complete 3M front paint protectant kit -front 3m window tint -Toyota bed mat - led's (interior & tag light) -rocky mountain clutch sd -pioneer 4100 DVD (coming soon) -Weathertech floormats -shortened front mud flaps
    WhSeWnen I was looking last month I could get a brand new simila equipped trd tundra as Tacoma fir only $1400 more. 4.6 L though...

Get the tundra.

11. Dec 26, 2009 at 1:16 AM
    militaco

militaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab, '99 Regular Cab
    x2....you will feel better in the end goibg this route.

12. Dec 26, 2009 at 4:31 AM
    Taco John

Taco John Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    Keep the Jeep and pay off the debt, build a small fund of emergency cash and put at least enough in your retirement account to get the company match if it is available.

New trucks are nice, but so is financial security in tough times. And just ask those who are out of work now who were doing fine 18 months ago, you never know when things will change!

13. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Another for keep the jeep and pay down the loans and what not a bit. You already pretty extended with that much school debt...Get that or some of the other debt gone and then go straight to the Tundra you always wanted.

14. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    omg.sooooooooo true.x2 this for sure.

15. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    FLtaco4x4

FLtaco4x4 Member

Member:
    Look up Dave Ramsey. I wish I was introduced to him when I graduated college a few years back. Instead I bought a F250 Diesel and started off on the wrong foot financially speaking. The worst thing you can do is go buy a expensive truck right out of school, trust me it sucks. If the jeep runs good, keep it until you have your loans paid off and save up money for a "vehicle" and buy something that is HALF OF YOUR GROSS ANNUAL INCOME. IE, you make $50k, you should be buying a $25k vehicle.

http://www.daveramsey.com/new/baby-steps/

We're on step 3 b/c that stupid truck move I did when I graduated took years to fix. Only now am I doing decent and driving a Honda. And trust me.... Plan to lose your job and be jobless for about 6 months. This economy stinks right now and I know personally, I'm working in construction management. Please look into Dave ramsey, it's just your grandparents advice, packaged nicely for today's day and age.

16. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    alx_alx_69

alx_alx_69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Hope Mills, North Carolina
    Keep the jeep, suck it up for a little while, then make everything you want to happen, happen then

17. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2

18. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    You can probably get a better deal on the tundra then the tacoma! Tacoma has no rebates and they really don't want to budge on the prices. They will on the tundra, hope you have stock in an oil co. though.

19. Dec 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    FLtaco4x4

FLtaco4x4 Member

Member:
    Tundra is a black hole for money (Fuel). Bad investment IMO. Unless you "NEED" a big truck forget about it.

20. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    gizzygone

gizzygone [OP] Hi. My name is Gizzy.

Member:
    Thanks guys for the replies. I'm surprised so many of you are pushing me towards the Tundra! But I do see what you guys are saying about getting what I want...

I don't see a massive difference in the fuel economy between the two. On paper, the 5.7 gets 3mpg less than the Tacoma's 4.0. It seems real world numbers on the tundra are pretty good too, so I'm not sure there's any REAL advantage there... I mean, it may save a couple hundred bucks a year, but it's nothing life changing...

And when you consider the Tacoma is recommended to be run on Premium, while the Tundra only calls for regular, the savings really aren't that significant (given the 30 cent price difference where I am)

Products Discussed in

To Top