1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco PRO Owners: Interested in a spring upgrade for front?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Ryan at Eibach, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    BadKitty

BadKitty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma TRD-offRoad 6spd
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    Superdave1.0 and GreyBaldTaco like this.
  2. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    GreyBaldTaco

GreyBaldTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 5.0
  3. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    Ryan at Eibach

Ryan at Eibach [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
  4. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH

https://www.extremeterrain.com/eiba...VjYbACh2wCg0yEAYYAiABEgJih_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I cant wait to see the response, i really cant

Eibach Blocks.jpg

hamchoi likes this.
  5. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    Jibbs

Jibbs "When in doubt, throttle out!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2017 SCREW Raptor Lightning Blue
    Whoooooooshchchch
    I dont know whether I should be proud or embarassed that this started with someone quoting me....

il_570xN.750165776_euqb.jpg

Superdave1.0 and GreyBaldTaco like this.
  6. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Ryan at Eibach

Member:
    Proud!

OG_Tacoma, Superdave1.0 and perkj like this.
  7. Dec 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    OMNOMS15

OMNOMS15 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo blue Tacoma TRD PRO
    None... Yet...
    10/10 interested in front springs for my 2019 Pro. Love the ride of the fox suspension but just want to level out the 1" lower front end compared to rear.

8. Dec 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    So they make a companion product to go with their front coils. Great big got ya there. Wow you just won the internet. Now go away.

Interested in what Eibach will have to offer.

Burmapeak and perkj like this.
  9. Dec 23, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
  10. Dec 23, 2019 at 1:34 PM
    Ryan at Eibach

Member:
    Measuring session on a 4runner PRO today...

OG_Tacoma, RobP62, hamchoi and 8 others like this.
  11. Dec 23, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    Burmapeak

Burmapeak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Cement
    Interesting. 4runners got an extra coil. (Compared to Tacoma)

15771409527782819162111910156019.jpg

poopshute and aceiswar like this.
  12. Dec 23, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    crappie man

crappie man Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am interested. I will be getting my 20 pro soon. So will this give a certain amount of total lift keeping stock suspension

Sub_Par likes this.
  13. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    Anderson5290

Anderson5290 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Tuned Fox 2.5 resi with dsc, JBA HD UCA, total chaos knuckle gussets, rear trd pro fox shocks, Deaver U402 stage 1 rear leafs, archive garage u bolt flip with fox 2.0 air bumps, White knuckle off road rock sliders, BAMF 1/4” steel skids, Magnaflow exhaust, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Cbi high clearance rear bumper, 285/75/16 tires.
    I see a few issues with installing different springs and using them to lift the rig with the stock trd pro fox shocks. The fox shocks are internal bypass shocks front and rear on the trd pros. The tundra, 4 runner, and Tacoma all have a certain amount of bypass zones, compression zones, and rebound zones. So by using a longer or stiffer spring it’s going to put the shocks closer to the rebound zone which makes the shock that much closer to topping out and not riding in the bypass zones that they were designed to run in. Adding spacers to the top of the shock changes the compressed length of the shock so bumps stops would need to be lengthened in order for the shock to not bottom out before the bump stops.

OG_Tacoma and BadKitty like this.
  14. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    BadKitty

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, TRD exhaust
    No.

LOLlol and this goobey "sick measuring sesh" could not illustrate the point any better.
    1. You dont need to measure ANYTHING. Toyota engineers have already given you every single data point you need.
    -The length of the spring is irrelevant, a 600lb spring is the same regardless of length.
    -The LB rating of a spring is called the spring rate, the spring rate of a 13" 600 spring is the same as 26" 600lb spring.

2. If your suspension came with a 13" spring that is all the length needed for the travel your suspension is capable of.
    -Changing to a longer spring will not make your suspension have any more travel or "lift".

If you want your spring to hold the truck up better without pre load the correct move is to get springs +50lbs so in your case a 650#.
    -A 14" 650 may fit if you cant find a 13" 650 but just know the extra length is doing nothing for you.

3. A longer spring with the same 600lb rating is not going to hold the truck up any better, period end of story.
    -you are dealing with a fixed distance between spring seats and of course in that case ride height would increase.
    dealing with an adjustable preload, or an adjustable distance between the seats.
    -With the same given spring rate and ride height, the longer spring will take the same amount of preload.
    -The only difference would be the total length of the preloaded coil, it would be longer.

-Thank you evenflow

I'll try to help Tacomaworld understand and Mr.Eibach can get his free suspension theory seminar for future marketing threads, and could perhaps forward it on to the marketing department or whoever makes their poor-soul engineers design illogical products:
    Tacoma Pro Fox:
    PTR61-35170
    4runner Pro Fox:
    PTR61-89190

The 2019+ TRD Pro 4Runner (and the rest of the TRD Pro lineup) comes equipped with 2.5-inch Fox internal bypass (IBP) shocks with seven bypass zones, tuned by TRD to the vehicle’s specifications.
    -TRD gave the 4Runner specifically designed coil springs up front to give it an extra inch of wheel travel and ride height.
    -The rear 2.5-inch Fox shocks are also designed to work in harmony with the TRD coil springs, featuring a piggyback reservoir and 11 bypass zones within the shock body.
    -Both have velocity-dependent valving that increases with impact speed, but the new Fox set-ups have position dependent damping that varies based on how far they're compressed (or extended away from the midpoint at which they run on a smooth surface)
    -Lifting will result in different dampening behavior. Especially the rear that has something like 7 zones of dampening.
    -So being an inch or two taller would mean that you're in a different dampening zone than it was designed for.

The bottom line is this:

"Progressive-Rate" style suspensions are meant TO SIMPLY BE LEFT ALONE, by virtue of their engineering characteristics. The Fox-TRD-PRO suspension was SPECIFICALLY designed to operate to its factory configuration by design, and tampering with either the valving, stroke, spring rate or coil length etc.. can produce NO OTHER RESULT, other than negative.

If at any point your mental-gynastic's routine has convinced you that:
    "for my needs, I need (insert exact inch of lift)"
    "(insert user) has it and he's fine, so Im doing it too"
    "I must have BF-K02's or ill hate my truck and have to sell it"

A TRD-PRO model simply was not for you, as they were NOT INTENDED to have their suspensions modified. Any modification will compromise performance and life of parts. An Off-road and an after-market kit was what you wanted.

Additionally, this may help demonstrate for those who benefit from visual aide:

coilover-pre-load-diagram.jpg

15. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    Anderson5290

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Tuned Fox 2.5 resi with dsc, JBA HD UCA, total chaos knuckle gussets, rear trd pro fox shocks, Deaver U402 stage 1 rear leafs, archive garage u bolt flip with fox 2.0 air bumps, White knuckle off road rock sliders, BAMF 1/4” steel skids, Magnaflow exhaust, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, Cbi high clearance rear bumper, 285/75/16 tires.

Pretty much what I said in a more detailed manner haha. Hopefully our posts will make people understand that leaving them alone is the way to go. If you want better shocks and don’t want to go long travel but still want some lift, buy the 2.5 fox resi with dsc adjusters. Trust me they are better.

BadKitty[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    1stIn3rd

1stIn3rd Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Trd Pro
    Tldr.. maybe lets see what Eibach comes up with before offering more of your awesome info and expertise

Grindstone likes this.
  17. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Anderson5290

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    What part are you saying we should wait for Eibach to come up with before offering awesome info and expertise are you talking about?

BadKitty likes this.
  18. Dec 23, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Anderson5290

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    If anyone understands how a bypass or internal bypass shock works. (I would highly recommend looking it up before speaking). You will understand that with the whopping 4.2 inches of travel the front shocks have, lifting it 1 inch from factory using a longer spring will put the shock very close to the rebound zone and the shocks will top out a lot, you just won’t feel it as much because of the fact that they have a rebound zone. I can also promise you that fox and Trd being the designer of the shocks knows a hell of a lot more than eibach about how the shocks were designed to work.

Tacman19, NMTrailRider and BadKitty like this.
  19. Dec 23, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    Burmapeak

Burmapeak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Cement
    Ok. I think I got it. I bought a Trd Pro. I want to install a winch and a few other off-road components but now my front end is overweighted so I should remove everything, sell my Pro, Buy a Trd Off-road. Buy all the things my Pro had that I enjoyed, install them on the Off- road than put coil overs on the Off-road than install a winch. Man, why are all the Trd Off-road guys chiming in on a Trd Pro thread. You guys have it easy. You bought a great rig for a good price and you can modify it with any suspension you want. Let us figure out what we can do to maintain our great stock Fox suspension but modify it to make it work just a wee bit better if we make other changes to our trucks that require us to do so. Every single one of you guys throwing in your negativity drives something other than a Pro. Even though atleast half of you bought an aftermarket TRD PRO grille. P.S. I'm not 100% sure but, I think Eibach may have been making shocks and springs before TRD or Fox ever existed.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  20. Dec 23, 2019 at 10:35 PM
    Anderson5290

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn’t make it right or the best I don’t see eibach shocks on trophy trucks or ultra 4 cars blasting thru the desert and rocks at 100+ mph . I had the trd pro fox suspension on my truck longer than the Bilsteins it came with and my current fox shocks. And guess what, I found a aftermarket spring that lifted the truck just slightly with the pro shocks. Shortly after I removed those springs because they didn’t do what I expected. And we never said that if you weigh down the truck with a winch/bumper and it’s sagging that you can’t get it back to where it was. My point is, if you lift the fox pro shocks 1-2 inches with new springs you have no down travel and are in the top our/rebound zone of the shock.The whole point of a bypass shock is to do that (BYPASS). Bypass the piston so the ride is nice like it should be . So that being said, you can do whatever want with your truck but at least you know what you are doing when you lift it using longer or heavier weight springs. There is a reason the new 2020 fox Pro shocks got retuned for the newer pro wheels which are 4 lbs lighter, different unsprung weight changed it enough for the need of a redesign in trd’s eyes.

Products Discussed in

To Top