1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacobox for 3rd generation automatic

Discussion in 'Marlin Crawler' started by claytaco1, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Jan 6, 2024 at 5:09 AM
    claytaco1

claytaco1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Northeast Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD AT
    Out of curiosity I'd like to see everyone's rig that has an automatic and installed one of these. I've thought of the idea for a while and interested. I've got a 2019 Tacoma, seen these installed in manuals, but never really the automatic. If anyone has had any luck, I'd love to see the progress

2. Jan 6, 2024 at 6:47 AM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
  3. Jan 6, 2024 at 10:42 AM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    I got an auto with crawl boxes but in a first gen, lol

claytaco1[OP] likes this.
  4. May 17, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    jnprn2003

jnprn2003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Off-Road Premium 4x4
    I have a new TacoBox on hand along with a new FJ case with twin sticks from Front Range Offroad going in within the next few months.
    Still acquiring parts but from what I can tell it will be a huge improvement in crawling ability.

5. Jul 24, 2024 at 7:47 AM
    Marlin Crawler

Marlin Crawler Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Hello claytaco1 and thank you for the question,

Actually most TacoBox installs are performed on Automatic applications, mainly by the fact that nowadays over 97% of all new vehicle sales are automatic.

If you're looking for pictures, have you seen our Interior Shifter Picture Archive page? Here are related 3rd gen Taco pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As can be seen, the TacoBox adds an additional shift handle that engages or disengages an additional 4.70:1 reduction gear whenever extra control, safety (~ 5x more reaction time) and traction are needed. It also has a true Neutral position. It can be engaged even when the stock transfer case is in High providing a 4.70:1 2WD low range which is very helpful when making sharp corners at low speeds for example in a campground or boat dock without the added binding and stress on the front wheel drive components.

The location of the handle is up to the installer and achieved by doing an offset or "dog leg" shift handle extension positioning the handle as per user preference. For third gen Tacos the preferred location is to sacrifice one of the forward cup holders as shown in the pics above. (On a manual, no cup holders are sacrificed.)

When both the factory 2.57:1 transfer case and the TacoBox are shifted into low range, we call this a "Double Low" which results in a 12.08:1 compound low range which is 3-times lower than a Jeep Rubicon.

The TacoBox transforms the stock 2-speed transfer case into a 4-speed:
    1. 1.00:1 for city/highway (just like you are now)
    2. 2.57:1 stock low (just like you are now)
    3. 4.70:1 TacoBox engaged only
    4. 12.08:1 Double Low
    The use of the TacoBox is entirely up to the driver. Leaving it disengaged results in a 1.00:1 straight-through position as if the TacoBox did not exist at all. The vehicle operates 100% like factory.

All TacoBoxes (1995+ applications) are currently available, please see here for more details including a description of what a TacoBox is and how it operates: https://www.marlincrawler.com/tacobox

Let us know if you have any questions by contacting our product support crew at https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech-support

Thanks!
    Marlin Crawler Off-Road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2024 at 8:17 AM

Products Discussed in

To Top