1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma 04 tow package -- info needed

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jvantassell, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Feb 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    jvantassell

jvantassell [OP] New Member

Member:
    Farmingdale, New York
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2004 TRD
    I have a Tacoma 04 TRD and have been pulling a popup for several years. It is now time to upgrade. I called the parts dept at my Toyota dealer and asked what was in the trailer tow package and what would it cost to have it installed. I was told if I wanted the tow package it had to be installed when I bought it and could not be done now. :confused: Next I brought the manual to the dealer and talked with the service department. Since I was having the timing belt replaced they told me I needed a heavy duty fan clutch. Now I see in forums that I also need a heavy duty alternator, larger battery, oil cooler, and trans cooler. I have the break control and hitch.
    Since I cannot trust my Toyota dealer can anyone tell me the specs for the alternator, battery, oil cooler, and trans cooler.
    I see this trans cooler recommended http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26M/130/70264/10002/-1
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    ARB1977

ARB1977 It’s a beaut Clark

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Prerunner 4.0L Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Black TRD Fj Cruiser wheels, TRD catback exhaust.
    On my 2002 Taco i added the factory tow option after the fact. Hitch, harness, green fan clutch (non tow options have a orange or red fan clutch). Thats pretty much it. You dont get a secondary tranny cooler or oil cooler. If you have an auto pickup the biggest, stack plate cooler you can fit.

3. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to TW!

I wouldn't worry about trying to add the components of the tow package. You are fine. The popup isn't much weight. I towed an 18' bass boat with my 2003 Tacoma. No problems at all. I wouldn't worry about trying to upgrade now.

4. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM
    jvantassell

Member:
    Farmingdale, New York
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2004 TRD
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at getting a Jayco 213 with a DVW of around 4500 and GVW of 5500. That would put me near the max tow weight of 6000 with the tow package. I think I would at least have to add the trans cooler for sure. Don't know about the heavy duty alternator, battery, and oil cooler.

5. Feb 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

You are going to drop some serious coin if you try & add all that to your truck, if it can be done. May want to consider finding a Tacoma with a towing package already.

6. Feb 23, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    You have an 04 that's a gen 1 truck. Your tow rating is 5000lbs NOT REPEAT NOT 6000lbs.

Full tow package was/is only available on gen 2 v6 trucks (2005-2009). There is no larger alternator for a gen 1 truck.

You can add a bigger battery, but w/o the bigger alternator i dunno if it would be of any benefit.

As for the trans cooler, the one I linked in the towing bible is fine. Just remember that the tranny can never be too cool, so bigger is better here.

Also consider a different trailer, as running over the tow rating is when bad shit happens.

Regards,

7. Feb 23, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    canadiankid

canadiankid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD SPORT
    If you could upgrade to 05+ with a tow package it would be a lot better for towing and maybe not cost you too much.

8. Feb 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    jvantassell

Member:
    Farmingdale, New York
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2004 TRD
    I'm beginning to think that I will stay with my popup a bit longer. I have 96,000 on the 04 and that will pull it just fine. Perhaps upgrade my AC so it cools it better when I'm in the south during the summer :(

Products Discussed in

To Top