1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma and Labradors

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by MCR, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Apr 9, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    MCR

MCR [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have three Labradors and we're moving from NY to Arizona. It looks like a Tacoma with a cap, would be the perfect truck for us. My concern is will the dogs be able to get enough cool air with just the sliding window between the car and the bed area, especially during the extremely hot summer months in Arizona?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MCR

2. Apr 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    crash

crash Member

Member:
    If you're talking about while driving, I would open the other windows in the cap as well (most caps I've seen have multiple opening/sliding windows). Or if you have the xtra or double cab, keep them up front with you for the a/c.

Don't leave dogs in a car in the heat, especially if you are moving to the Valley. Don't take chances with your dogs - a cop killed a drug dog in the phx area a few summers ago and I don't think any of us wants to even imagine what it feels like to accidentally kill a pet like that. Even with windows open, closed spaces with windows heat up pretty bad pretty fast.

3. Apr 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I would think some sort of extended walls around the bed would be best and a not black bed mat or a sheet if you have to leave them there for a short time. This is the closest picture I could find to convey my idea, but you get the idea i hope
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    I got a tall cap with sliding windows for my 70 lb doberman. He's fine with all 3 windows open (front and 2 sides) on most warm days when the truck is not moving. Regardless of how many windows I open, I would not leave him in there on a really hot day but I feel like you already know this. When we're moving, I will crack the sides and open the small front window and he is fine. When you're shopping for a cap, I would definitely get sliding windows over venting windows so a breeze can flow better when the truck is stationary. I also sprang for the headliner in mine, my vet reccommended it, I didn't need anyone gettting cut on or licking the fibrglass.

So to answer you question, Yes I do think opening the little window will allow enough air as long as you are moving and it's not crazy hot, but definitely not when the truck is parked.

5. Apr 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Your other option if you will be using this setup all the time is to buy a small RV style AC unit and to mount that on the shell. Then your dogs could have AC for whatever you need to do.

6. May 20, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    justalilcrazy625

justalilcrazy625 Got the yota feverrrr.

Member:
    Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L :)
    Awe. I love labradors. I had a black lab[his name was Midnight.] & he lived til a week before his 17th Birthday. Even after bein' hit by a car twice.

7. Jun 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    \

He's moving to Arizona, so that depends which part of the state he's moving to. If it's by flagstaff, then he could probably get by. But if he moves to southern AZ, where it does get "crazy hot", even just stopping at a traffic light with no air moving could definately hurt a dog. I like JJ Cusoms' idea... that way you'd never have to worry about your 4 legged babies.

I've lived in Phoenix and Yuma and there is no way I'd take them out without A/C.

Also depends on their ages and health as to how well they will be able to handle the heat.

8. Jun 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Even here in SC it isn't safe to leave a dog in the car in the summer. Forget the dog, I wouldn't want to be left in a closed car...

Products Discussed in

To Top