1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma as a Work Truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mutant, Aug 17, 2017.

?

Would a Tacoma make a good full time work truck?

1. Yes!

57.9%
  2. NO!

14.7%
  3. Maybe

27.4%
  1. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    They are commonly used here for that sort of thing. As long as you don't have to haul a lot of heavy or bulky stuff. If so, then you need a bigger truck.

2. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    In the first place, if you are seriously considering the Tacoma as suitable for this use, then I say it would probably work great. Can't think of a more reliable truck. Of course there are other larger model trucks with more power, more towing & hauling capacity... while I don't think overkill is the answer, you never know what you will encounter out in the sticks... or on the jobsite. Just a thought.

3. Aug 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    You really need a full size truck for a survey crew. Especially if you need a 3 man crew sometimes.
    A Tacoma is just to cramp in my opinion and glad I never had to work out of one. The steering wheel in a full size truck was just the right distance away to rest the field book and sketch during rain or snow storms. Plus if your truck is sometimes your office you just need more room. Tacoma cab is too small!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    PHLinPHX likes this.
  4. Aug 17, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    Mutant

Mutant [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD SPORT 4x4 Crew Cab short bed
    Bakflip, power tailgate lock
    Wow
    This thread snowballed fast.

The poll was kind of a trick question (but I was also curious of your thoughts). I know the Tacoma would suit my needs, because I've actually been working out of a 3rd gen 4Runner for 2 years now:rofl:

I will tell you it is very tight fitting all of the equipment. But it does work. I built a crude storage box to hold lathes and raise up the cooler. Removed the back seats and put a rack on the ceiling inside for range poles, pin finder, shovel, etc. I can easily fit 4 bundles of lathes, which is usually enough for one day of work. I have about a dozen rolls of flagging, 6 pieces rebar, pk nails, line locator, GPS kit (with rover pole, bipod, 2 tripods, deep cycle battery), box of notes/maps, computer, chargers for everything, extra water, extra clothes, hard hats, hammers, markers, etc.

I use this one vehicle as daily driver and a 4wheeler. It is light enough and small enough that it goes pretty much anywhere our company would normally use a side by side ATV. I drive it like a Baja truck every day. Everyday for 2 years I get home and expect the truck to explode, leak, smoke, fall to pieces. But it has never once failed. This truck drives through anything. Its a blast.

20RustyTaco06 likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    20RustyTaco06

20RustyTaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Dublin, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 Tacoma DBL cab auto/4wd
    Complete Pioneer audio Supreme Suspension 3" spacer lift 255/75-17 Kuhmos/Sport wheels 1.25" wheel spacers Tint
    Pulls fine for what it is. Don't anticipate going more than 65-70 with a loaded trailer.
    My '06 is getting the frame swapped but has pulled this same trailer from Central FL to Savannah, GA at 65 mph. Didn't sway, didn't bounce, just a nice, SLOW, ride.
    I often have to transport Co-workers also and our biggest dude is 6'2 240 and he still has room.
    Opt for the long bed if you haul anything backside cause the 5 footer is bout worthless. Can barely fit an acetylene tank in mine.IMG_20170805_172322489.jpg

6. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    20RustyTaco06

20RustyTaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Dublin, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 Tacoma DBL cab auto/4wd
    Complete Pioneer audio Supreme Suspension 3" spacer lift 255/75-17 Kuhmos/Sport wheels 1.25" wheel spacers Tint
    With a bed cover I'd think you could fit all that in the Tacoma. I have a similar amount of stuff for Industrial Plant work and with some organizing, you can fit more than you think.

7. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I always worked out of a f150 with a silver shield cover. A home built wood box with dividers that would hold 3 sets of legs, range poles, layout rod , triple and single prisms. 3 bundles of lath,2 bundles 16" stakes and all the small tools and gps equipment, level , total station and a area for plans and files.
    It was packed, not to mention lunch boxes and winter clothes &boots. I just can't imagine getting everything into a Tacoma with another guy also. One man crew would probably work.

8. Aug 17, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    TacoGold

TacoGold Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR
    Working towards an overland build
    I'm a huge Tacoma fan, but, echoing many previous comments, I'd be a bit wary of using it as a work truck. I've used mine doing geological field work in socal and northern Mexico on numerous occasions, each time carrying at least one passenger and >500 lbs of gear and samples. I also use it as a homeowner for home remodeling projects, which is mostly impractical without my trailer. This truck is not made for that kind of work.

These days for survey work you probably just have some GPS gear, a couple tripods and survey rods and maybe a total station? But even with light gear like that, if you have 3 passengers (plus water? cooler?), you'll be disappointed with the capability of stock Tacoma rear suspension, which as far as I can tell is made to ride great empty but pretty much suck under load. I solved this issue by spending an absurd amount of money on a full suspension rebuild, but thats probably not a practical solution for a work truck.

So even though I'm a die hard Tacoma fan, if I were buying a work truck I'd get something bigger, like a Tundra or an f-series. That said, I know several geotech consultants in socal who roll with stock Tacomas and are happy with them, they just usually roll solo and run with light loads.

9. Aug 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    Dannyw

Dannyw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Defiantly, Almost all the oil field pumpers use them around here

10. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    Avsfreak18

Avsfreak18 Now 5% less disappointing

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC
    Yes, it would work well. But a Tundra would work better.

Products Discussed in

To Top