1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Bike Mounts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by w4dd, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Jun 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    w4dd

w4dd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Keywords: 2008 Toyota, Tacoma,Truck, Bike, Bicycle, Mounting
    I ran across a thread on this site discussing ways of mounting bikes in the bed of a Toyota Tacoma. It gave me some ideas, which I implemented and worked well for me. Since this site helped me, I thought I would post what I did, which may help others. One of my requirements was not removing the front wheel every time I wanted totransport the two bikes. The mounting system is made of PVC parts and bungee cords. PVC is inexpensive and I have used it for several projects around the house. I used the four existing Toyota tie down points because that was the simplest. The total cost for two bikes is about $25 (and you will have bungee cords left over).

Before you start this project, use an inexpensive caliper or ruler to measure the size of the front wheel support, back wheel support, and front tire width. It will help you decide on the proper Tee to buy.

Picture 1: Overview. There are 4 contact points with the bike. back wheel bar,front wheel bar, front tire, and seat bar.

Picture 2: Back wheel view. There is a ¼ hole drilled in the PVC to allow it to be attached to the Tacoma tie down with a ¼ inch bolt. Note; double nut the bottom of this bolt with a lock washer in between.

Picture 3: Front wheel and front tire contact points. No need to cement the short PVC pipe to the Tee. It fits very snugly and is held in compression with the bungee cord. The front tire holder has a short bolt going through it with a fender washer, lock washer, and nut, on the back.

Picture 4: Close up of PVC attachment to Tacoma tie down. Note the vinyl or felt on the PVC that protects the bike frame.

Picture 5: Close up of the extra tie down. A bit over engineered but worth the effort. Note that it pulls the bike forward, into the front tire holder.

Parts List:
    Back Wheel: PVC Tee, 1.25 x 1.25 x .5 inch ($1.65)
    Front Wheel: PVC Tee, .75 x .75 x .5 inch ($0.54)
    PVC Pipe: 5ft x .5 inch ($1.30)
    Bolts, Round Head: (2) ¼-20 x 2.5 inch
    Washer: (2) ¼ inch x 1
    Lock Washers: (2) ¼ inch
    Nuts: (4) ¼-20 inch
    Shower Mat scrap (Sheet vinyl): A piece about 18 inches x 6 inches. You can buy this as a scrap in the plumbing Dept. at Lowes. It is used when building a shower base. They usually have scraps and will sell them for a couple of dollars.
    PVC glue: to hold the vinyl into the PVC Tee
    Alternately, I am also trying felt on one of my mounts. It is available in the sewing Dept at Wal-Mart. It avoids having to buy the vinyl and glue. I had some around the house. I’m not sure how it will hold up in the heat though.

Front Tire Holder:
    PVC Tee, 1 x 1 x .5 inch (this keeps the front tire perfectly aligned)($1.63)
    Bolt, Round Head ¼-20 x 1 inch
    Washer, ¼ x 1 inch
    Lock Washer, ¼ inch
    Nut, ¼-20

Center Tie Down:
    Eye Bolt, 3/8 x 4
    Nuts, (2) 3/8-20
    Fender Washers: (2) 3/8 x 1.25 (you will need to file down the back one to get it in the track
    Alternately, and less expensive, you may want to use a 5/16 inch eyebolt.

Bungee Cords:
    “Task Force” 24 pc Bungee Cord Assortment - Lowes Hardware. I used the Red, Yellow, and Orange ones. You will have 21 left over. ($9.97)

Note: For the 3 Tees, you will need to use a hack saw and cut 1/3 out of them. Then use a file to smooth theedges. PVC is very easy to work with. Wear gloves to protect your hands. Repeat, wear gloves to protect your hands[guess why I am repeating this?]

Also Note: They make a Tee that already has 1/3 cut open. It is normally used to support copper or PVC pipe. It only comes in the smaller sizes, but check it out as it may save you from having to cut 2 of the 3 Tees.

As always, over engineer (that’s why I have 4 contact points ratherthan just 2).
    I have found this mounting system to work very well, but use at your own risk.

Have fun biking, Jeff [W4DD]

IMG_0576a1.jpg
    IMG_0573a2.jpg
    IMG_0574a3.jpg
    IMG_0579a4.jpg
    IMG_0577a5.jpg

2. Jun 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    Rez

Rez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle: