1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Drive line wrap/clunk.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Bearskill, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Man, I'm really looking forward to getting my new leaf springs on soon, then hopefully I won't have to deal with this damn axle wrap. Greased my zirks & it's still jumping back there. Not as bad as before, but I can still feel it... It's drivin' me crazy!:mad:

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    I found 6 zerks, 5 u-joint and 1 at the rear that must feed the shaft that the 1st post was talk about. That 6th zerk sucked up the grease, I stuck nearly a whole midget tube in there. Grease backed out a bit, but not much.

Good news is the clunk I was hearing, is now gone for now.

3. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    N8iV Warrior

N8iV Warrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Indian Reservation Not by Choice
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Dble Cab Trd Sport 6" fabtech lift
    6" Fabtech lift, 34" tires , AFE Cold air intake, Cobra wxst75 cb, Rocky Mountain Radar, L.e.d Headlights, L.e.d maplights,dome light, license plate lights, Tinted frnt windows 35% to match rear windows. ARB bumper with XD-9000 Warn Winch, Pro-Tech HeadAche rack with Pro-Tech Toolbox, Icon Front Coilovers for 6" Fabtech lift, Blacked out Taillights PIAA plasma ION 520 Lights, AFE CAI Pro Dry S Filter, 22" Led light bar, Yakima Mega Warrior basket
    [​IMG]here's a photo of them they are on the side of the U-joints 5 total the front drive line you have to take off a guard to get to it other wise you will miss it.

4. Jul 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM
    N8iV Warrior

N8iV Warrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Indian Reservation Not by Choice
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Dble Cab Trd Sport 6" fabtech lift
    6" Fabtech lift, 34" tires , AFE Cold air intake, Cobra wxst75 cb, Rocky Mountain Radar, L.e.d Headlights, L.e.d maplights,dome light, license plate lights, Tinted frnt windows 35% to match rear windows. ARB bumper with XD-9000 Warn Winch, Pro-Tech HeadAche rack with Pro-Tech Toolbox, Icon Front Coilovers for 6" Fabtech lift, Blacked out Taillights PIAA plasma ION 520 Lights, AFE CAI Pro Dry S Filter, 22" Led light bar, Yakima Mega Warrior basket
    there's only 5 total grease fittings for 2005+ and up good grease to use is some moly grease.

5. May 6, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    So I've been having this problem for quite some time now with my 04 DC 4WD and I have to add grease to the slip yoke zero regularly. I have the biggest problem when it comes to highway driving, if I'm going up a hill or passing someone and get in the accelerator, when the trans drops down to 2nd gear it's forcing the grease out because when I come to a stop again it starts clunking all over again. Only way that get it to go away is add more grease. Highly irritating and is going to start getting expensive, gone thru 2 tubes of grease already at $10 a tube. Do I just need to replace the whole damn driveline to fix it, add a leaf or what? Truck has 87k miles on it as of now.

Products Discussed in

To Top