1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma for me?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eighty, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    eighty

eighty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys! I want to hear some opinions from you on whether a tacoma is the right vehicle for me.

For starters, my girl wants a truck, but she wants a Ram! We rented a 2500HD diesel a while back and it was a really good time. Realistically though, I'm not towing a horse trailer or a boat and from what I understand domestics have questionable reliability. We go offroad slightly, when we go camping. Like I said, I'm not towing anything but we're looking to buy a pop-up camper eventually (and I know there are a few rated for Tacos). This all said, I'm guessing that the truck is going to spend most of it's life on the street, not off road. I'm looking at a double cab model - do these come with long beds? What's the deal with 5' bed?

Basically we go out a lot and a nice expedition vehicle is a must. I've owned an 88 Corolla (up until 350k km, at which point I traded it in) and that thing was reliable and bulletproof. Is this still true of Tacomas? I'd like it to last the next 10 years, with proper TLC..

I'd love to hear your thoughts. It seems that Tacoma would fall nicely between a Forester and a fullsized truck (such as ram). It would cover all our bases nicely. What do you think?

2. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I think it's a terrible idea. Horrible. You'd have to be a fool to want a Tacoma.

3. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM
    OFFROADCARWASH

OFFROADCARWASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacktown, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco customized
    Custom badged black, 100watt LOUDSPEAKER mounted under toolbox, UWS toolbox, All terrain Tires, K&N Ram Air Intake, HUGE flood lights mounted to Tool Box, Cobra CB radio, Francis Antenna, HELLA Blue Headlights, 12 Pad LEDS in Cab lights, Husky Liners, Tinted Windows at 15%, Thrush Glass Pack (burned Out) with 4inch Tip..Remote Crank and Intry, 2 12" subs, Blacked out head lights and tail lights.
    2009 DOUBLE CAB BLACK TRD SPORT PACKAGE...GET IT

enough said.

4. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    Welcome to TW. As WilsonTheDog eloquently pointed out, opinions here are going to be somewhat biased, but if you browse through the various theads, you'll find alot of good advice on the pros and cons of the Tacoma.

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    get the tacoma!!!! why???? its simple....................it aint a dodge,ford or chevy!!!! and its alot sexier than any of those "other" trucks!!!!:D

6. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:39 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    What Wilson pointed is that it's quite obvious what we're going to say since we own one.

And yes, I am rather eloquent, quite the cunning linguist.

7. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    The new dodge diesel engines (6.7liter) are junk, the whole emissions deal just ruined it, turbos every 10k. Tacomas are great! reliability and performance all in one package

8. Dec 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    Just get a taco already. DC can come with the long bed. Just get the taco already.

9. Dec 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    ill admit i had a f250 king ranch diesel and i loved that truck. not the fuel mileage but was a very solid truck, my tacoma is a great work of art its more of a play truck then work the best thing i like about it i dont have to park 2 miles from the store i wanna go into, that and the wife likes to drive it, pretends its a hot rod (manual)

To Top