1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hammer Hangers® by Archive Garage 2005-2023 Tacoma Shackle Hangers

Discussion in 'Archive Garage' started by ARCHIVE, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2022 at 1:37 PM
    Dayman Karate

Dayman Karate Fighter of the night man, champion of the sun

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mostly reg ass vehicles for once
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    Seemed like if the hanger was forward the shackle could droop a bit more. I have to pull the pack so I may give it a go and see

2. Jan 4, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
    here’s a pic of mine fully dropped. As you can see the shackle isn’t going any further because the hanger is in the way. It’s completely horizontal.

9AF0F347-C94E-4140-BAB6-0A00F4C6E860.jpg

3. Jan 4, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    Same for mine. My thinking is moving the HH to the forward position pushes the shackle back so it could technically droop more before making contact

4. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    ARCHIVE

ARCHIVE [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, '22 Tundra, '91 Cummins
    2.5" Fox relocation * Hammer hanger * Archive MD springs
    You're correct, the Dakars are very short springs, but I think you need longer than 12" shocks for it to make a difference

5. Jan 4, 2022 at 8:37 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    That very well could be. I’ve got to take out some leafs and I’ll see if there’s any shaft left at droop after that.

6. Jan 5, 2022 at 3:14 AM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    As I have said before in this thread though, the problem with Dakars is they fan out as the main leaf gets pinched and arched up, separates from rest of pack and I think it contributes to axle wrap while crawling when torque loads up

H3llRid3r and Brian422 like this.
  7. Jan 5, 2022 at 4:58 AM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo

VE7OSR and ARCHIVE[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Jan 5, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Yeah they’re crap all around, but it’ll work until I decide if I want to link it or otherwise.

9. Jan 5, 2022 at 6:13 AM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
    Interesting!

10. Jan 5, 2022 at 9:44 PM
    Poke_squid

Poke_squid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 ac trd sport tacoma 6-mt
    Fox 2.5 extended travel coilovers Jba control arms Fox 2.0 rear shocks 1" rear blocks Toyo open country at2 Lt 265 70 17
    Alright so I got one side on. Good thing I got 4 days off. Working on day 3, but it's just a matter of getting everything lined up and bolted down. Then take it for a rip :bananadance:

dumontrider and ARCHIVE[OP] like this.
  11. Jan 6, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    Poke_squid

Poke_squid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 ac trd sport tacoma 6-mt
    Fox 2.5 extended travel coilovers Jba control arms Fox 2.0 rear shocks 1" rear blocks Toyo open country at2 Lt 265 70 17
    Alright first impressions, it feels like the rear of the truck is actually a part of the truck. More compliant ride. I feel like I should have done this mod first. When I initially put on my suspension it felt as if something was missing.The hammer hangers have filled the void. Bang for buck I'd recommend this before doing anything else. Thanks for making a great product. :)

12. Jan 7, 2022 at 4:48 AM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Thank you! I used to say 'Hh are a foundation mod'. Doing everything else before Hammer hangers is like building a house without a good foundation, then having to go back and build the foundation later.

One cannot fix the rear suspension without replacing the stock hangers.

13. Jan 7, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Help me Obi-Wan Ken'Archive Garage you're my only hope.

My saggy bouncy rear is starting to make me hate dailying this truck.

I've been seriously considering doing the Archive Garage shock relocation with 12 to 14 in shocks and a 63 inch spring swap as well as boxing the rear frame and replacing the spare tire cross brace with two sections of solid c channel.

I have the timbren U bolt flip and even on the daily occasionally hit the bump stops especially on bridges which return the energy very rapidly making the rear end bounce excessively and it feels like a toddler kicking the back of my seat.

Part of this I know is due to rear weight and just not having big enough shocks, I have 5100's 2 in over stock length in the rear and Dakar 1st gen MD packs but I'm also carrying around probably 200 lb of gear in a toolbox, nearly 100 lb of full size matching spare on a full steel double swing out rear bumper and a camper shell, my around town rear load is probably close to 600lbs, add another 200 when I'm in "expo camping adventure trim."

I also have drive shaft vibrations that I just can't seem to get rid of I've tried various different shim stack configurations and as far as I can tell everything's within one degree but I still get driveshaft vibration.

I want to do 63s for their extra load carrying capacity and off-road flexibility, but Accutune cautioned me against it saying they've never seen it done right and pointed me in your direction.

So tell me as I really want to put this to bed and be done playing with it:

What do I need to get rid of my vibrations bounce and sag?

HH's? Shock relocation? 2.5" remote resi shocks, what springs? Cross tube?

I've done so much reading and research on Tacoma world I've gone full circle and fully confused myself.

I'm not quite to the point of damn all expense, but I just need to be told what to do and that I'm not going to regret it.

:bananadead:

Local dump couldn't give me an axle split, but with three quarters of a tank of gas and 180 lb of me out of it I'm sitting at 5620 lbs "daily trim."

All loaded up to hit the trails and explore I guarantee I'm 6000lbs+.

PXL_20220107_134359523~2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    skeletron likes this.
  14. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    ARCHIVE

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s are worse than stock shocks, and get worse the more weight you have. It sounds like you don't have enough rear spring rate either.

I recommend not doing 64" Chevy springs because you don't need to do that extra work.
    Get Hammer hangers, better leaf springs and either Fox 2.0 or 2.5" tuned for your trucks weight by Accutune. You can do a relocation kit if you want the 12"+ travel.

Pretty common formula now for a better riding, better handling, more confident, comfortable and capable Tacoma.

15. Jan 8, 2022 at 5:38 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    What rear springs can handle the weight?

Should I get shorter rear bumps?

My front is Fox 2.5 +1" DSC adjusters remote resi with 700# king coils 21" eye to eye with weight on and Duro Bumps and it's excellent very happy with my front end but it makes it all the more apparent my rear can't keep up with the nose.

16. Jan 8, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    BamaTaco56

BamaTaco56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey

With the vast differences in weight that you carry, you would benefit from a shock with compression adjustment. By adding compression when loaded down, you will control the rate at which you hit full bump. Timbren bumps are also very stiff and want to return the impact pretty quickly. Off the shelf 5100s can’t control as much weight as you carry daily.

Throwing on a shock that’s not tuned for the spring rate and weight of your truck will result in a bad ride 100% of the time.

ARCHIVE[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 8, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
  18. Jan 8, 2022 at 3:47 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Dibs

Dayman Karate likes this.
  19. Jan 8, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    Jacked Burton

Jacked Burton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    35s 4.30s 6speed TruTrac Fx Pros Bilstiens Dakars
    Tires: 35/11.5/17 Toyo AT3s Wheels: FN FX Pro Gunmetal 17s with TRD center caps Zinc Metallic lettering. Yukon 4.30 gears with TruTrac Front Suspension: OME 887 w/5100s, Freedom Offroad UCAs n Superbumps Rear: Archive Hammer Hangers,Dakar Mediums, Bilstien 5125s Ubolt flip n Superbumps, Headlights: Selfmade Retrofits URD shortshift kit Airaid CAI No name throttle controller
    Just got on the freeway for the first time since putting them on.
    The truck felt so much more planted than it did when doing 80-90mph.
    The sketchiness is gone.
    Bravo Archive
    Bravo

Key-Rei and ARCHIVE[OP] like this.
  20. Jan 9, 2022 at 7:27 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    :spending:

:D

Why does it seem like every time my wallet loses weight my truck gains it?

:bananadead:

To Top