1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Key Programming

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seric007, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    HansLanda

HansLanda Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought the same programmer in the OP, for 4D chips. Can't get it to work on my 2006. It beeps once, then nothing. Tried it several times today, following the included instructions and the steps in this thread, they were slightly different. Anything else I can try? I might end up returning it and trying with another.

2. Mar 16, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    tudes

tudes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TX-Pro Off Road DCSB in Super White
    OEM everything, almost.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 16, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    charliealvarez1

charliealvarez1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    charlie
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Double cab Toyota Tacoma Black
    Holy Crap are you serious if I only knew this when I bought my tacoma last year from the dealer. I bought a used 2015 TRD Sport from westchester Toyota and it only had 1 key They made me pay 400 for the key and the key fab that included the programing boy did I get ripped off. Wow I'm pissed lol nothing I can do about it now they told me they were giving a deal and it should cost more. I got a good deal on the truck tho and thats how they made up for it.

4. Apr 26, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    CaptQuinn

CaptQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinn
    Alaska to Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '13 Sprucie Sport
    Dakar EL095R :Front Coils-2885 :Shocks-90000
    Hey D,

You make any headway on programming your G engraved key(s)? I'm lurking/learning before I buy the Toyota Smart Key Maker since It's not clear to me if it actually works for us or not...

5. Apr 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM
    tudes

tudes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    OEM everything, almost.
    CaptQuinn - I haven't made any headway. I was referred to a guy out here (SoCal) who cuts and programs so I'm thinking of going that route for 2 keys $40 each. Versus the trouble of buying the $14-20 programmer and buying the blank G keys and doing it myself. Paying a bit more, but rather just have the instant gratification of getting the keys done quick.
    Plus I don't want the programmer around once it's done, so net-net, I think I'm going to go that route.

6. Apr 27, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    If you go with the guy in SoCal please post a review, I am also in SoCal and have needed a new key for over a year. Taking keys to bars is a bad idea...

Csay7805 likes this.
  7. Apr 28, 2018 at 7:33 AM
    CaptQuinn

CaptQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quinn
    Alaska to Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '13 Sprucie Sport
    Dakar EL095R :Front Coils-2885 :Shocks-90000
    Good Idea, I'm basically confused at this point and just want to get it done!

8. May 5, 2018 at 11:52 PM
    tudes

tudes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    OEM everything, almost.
    Alright - for those in SoCal, I know someone who operates out of the San Gabriel Valley and he's mobile (can come to you in the surrounding area). I imagine he won't go to Santa Monica.
    He can meet up and do the first key for $60, 2nd key for $40 (could even be better pricing if more people on the forum want to get together). These are OEM keys, with the logo, so he tells me.
    He has a 2014 Tacoma himself, so he knows the G-key with the immobilizer. He can get it done.
    This price is for you having a black key (master) not if you only have a grey key (valet). Then he'll need to reset more which takes more time and I'm sure the pricing would go up.
    Please PM me for now if anyone that wants to get this done. I'll check with him to see if it's all good to post this info.

I'm getting 2 keys this upcoming Monday/Tuesday (or sometime this week for sure). He doesn't work on the weekends.

9. May 6, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    Very nice. I actually found a guy in HB via Yelp. He was at the swapmeet yesterday at OCC. Walked up gave him my key, cut and programmed a new one in ten minutes. $65. Done and done. He also does house calls.

HB Remotes and Keys I think is what it’s called. Not an OEM key but unlocked and started the truck just fine.

10. May 10, 2018 at 6:54 AM
    Beer-toe

Beer-toe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Menifee
    Vehicle:
    Dad Mobile
    Stickers
    any luck on this guy?

11. May 10, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    Beer-toe

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Menifee
    Vehicle:
    Dad Mobile
    Stickers
    posting my experience on my 2014 trd sport G chip key

bought remote and g chip key from ebay around 20$

programmed the remote myself : )

Took the key to get cut at home depot and they refused. I went to lowes and they cut it for free, however they couldn't find the proper jig, but they still cut it, but it came out like crap. The key would go in but the lock but wouldnt turn. I ended going to a locksmith and they fixed it for free :)

Purchased one of those g and h chip key programmers from ebay for 19$, it didnt work for shit. Contacted ebay seller where I bought it and they tried screwing me on my money, but I got pissed and they issued my full refund and I kept the device.

Looking at the other programmers I dont see any for the G key, so now im going to take it to a locksmith to get it programmed, but im trying to find someone who is cheaper than my local locksmith at 60$

attaching a picture of what not to buy

transponder.jpg

12. Jun 12, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    tudes

tudes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    OEM everything, almost.
    OK all. Got my keys today, First key I believe is $65 or 55. I got 2 made for $100 (he supplied OEM keys!)
    He also offered to program my remotes (OEM unlock/lock) for me, but my batteries were dead from the ones I bought on eBay so I ended up doing the whole stick key in ignition, open/close driver side door dance for both my remotes.
    All is set, now I have 3 sets of keys & remotes.

He said he didn't mind me sharing his info. His name is Cici (see-see), been in business in SoCal for 25+ years.
    Here is his number: 626-287-3550.
    Better to call him and leave a VM, he's solid about calling back. Not the fastest by text.
    He is in and around the San Gabriel area, right off the 10fwy and San Gabriel (that's where we met up).

He has OEM keys, cut the keys in his truck, programs them on the spot.
    For me it was better than spending $20 bucks on blanks, running around getting them cut, then another $20 on the programmer, which I will never use again and have the shot of buying the wrong one... So for the extra $60, I just got it done.

13. Jul 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    briangig

briangig Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DCSB
    Has anyone programmed more than one spare? I got two keys cut and programmed both the other day within 5 minutes of each other, tested both successfully after programming, and I was pretty sure tested both after I was done with everything. Went to start the truck with one of the new spares and it wouldn't. The other new spare still worked. I am going to try to re-do the dud but wasn't sure if there was any limit of any type.

14. Aug 21, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    I just did this on my 06. Worked like a charm.

I bought it on Amazon and the reviews there did not bother telling you how to get out of key programming mode. I should have just come here first. :annoyed:

OP thank you for this...:thumbsup:

15. Aug 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Found this in the FSM. Interesting...

Screenshot_20180824-151400.jpg

smelly621 likes this.
  16. Sep 29, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    flyby

flyby Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    This works for a 14 Tacoma v6 TRD:

1. Purchase an OEM G key blank from Amazon Smile. Have local hardware store cut key by tracing the original. The "auto" setting on the cutter did not work. (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089KNIZ2)

2. Purchase the programming cable and software: (DIAGKING Mini Vci J2534 TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Firmware V1.4.1) (https://smile.amazon.com/DIAGKING-Techstream-Diagnostic-Firmware-Version/dp/B07BCNPDDG)

3. Install software on a 32-bit (x86) Windows 7 virtual machine or junk laptop that will be wiped clean afterwards.

4. Mostly follow the youtube tutorials like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gc_yd4TpNs)...
    5. Successfully connect to vehicle, but realize there is no "Utility" option on the left menu when using v12.20.024 of the software.
    6. Do some googling and download v10.00.028 of the software.
    7. Program new key successfully.

Costs about $60. If you found someone who has already done this they would probably be willing to send you the software/cable cheap so you can get yours done cheap as well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  17. Sep 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Beer-toe

Member:
    First Name:
    Berto
    Menifee
    Vehicle:
    Dad Mobile
    Stickers
    Want to program mine also lol​

18. Oct 27, 2018 at 10:56 PM
    itsnotatoy

itsnotatoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Valley AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport Tech Pkg DCSB Super White
    Anyone get this to work on a 2017? I can't get it to work. I read somewhere it does not work on 2017 Tacoma's.

Are the 2017's different?

19. Dec 31, 2021 at 8:53 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....

it will work on 2008 and earlier Tacomas, I have a 2009 got to get the OBD2 connector to laptop with Techstream software to do the deed. I spent $45 for the setup just today including the software CD, now I wait, in no particular rush, I still have a working key and two working fobs...and the chipped and cut key was about $34 at the dealer, so I went for it. So for about $80 the deed will get done...programming the fobs is EZ peezy, key is a pain...

20. Sep 6, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    Csay7805

Csay7805 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 Sport
    Working on it!
    2005 Tacoma. Wanted a 3rd key and now finding out it’s NOT as easy as many other Toyotas where you just insert the key 5x and open the door 6x then insert new key.
    Why did Toyota make the others so easy but screwed us Taco owners?!

Products Discussed in

To Top