1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma motor mounts are stronger than people think...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mxpatriot, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dec 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    After a hard hit in the desert, I experienced a ticking/grinding noise when putting the truck in reverse. I was perplexed how the hit could've caused it, as it was only in reverse. It was not until I had another person put the truck in reverse while I looked under the hood did it become clear - the engine was rocking over to the driver's side while in reverse and the fan was contacting the fan shroud.

I figured I broke an engine mount so I took the truck down to the shop to have it replaced. We threw it up on the lift and to my surprise the mount was fine. It wasn't until closer inspection that we noticed it had pushed through the frame on three sides. The motor mount had pushed through the frame on three of its sides, leaving the top side attached.

The shop bent it back out, welded it in place, boxed it up, and gusseted the mount. Good as new, $200 in fabrication and $69 for the front diff. service (front driver's side axle had to be pulled to get at the mount).

Lesson learned - gusset your stuff. I knew I needed it, but kept putting it off.

2. Dec 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
  3. Dec 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Arctic Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    I've known about that one for a while. For a while I was surprised that I hadn't broken motor mounts yet, but then I guess my confidence in them grew.

To their credit, it was one hell of a hit.

4. Dec 23, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Good to know since I have a street queen 06.:D

5. Jan 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    Chandler L.

Chandler L. Well-Known Member

Member:
    San luis obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma
    TRD cold air Intake, TRD supercharger, Doug Thorley headers & Y-pipe, URD Exhaust, Dynomax Muffler, King Coilovers & Total Chaos UCAs up front and King Resis. And AllPro Baja leafs out back, Rock sliders, 1/4" steel skid plate, 33" BFG KM2 MTs on Procomp rims, 6000k HID fog lights, CB radio
    Damn dude any pics?

To Top