1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma or Tundra

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBQ BOY, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have driven full size trucks most of my life. I am driving a Prius right now and it is driving me crazy. I have been wanting a Tacoma for several months now and now I am second guessing myself. My brother has a 4 door fully loaded 4x4 Tundra and I have been driving it a couple of days because I have been hauling my boat and gardening stuff. Tell me why the Tacoma would better serve me over the Tundra.
    I like the Tacomas size and ease of drivabilty over the Tundra. Fuel economy is better than the Tundra but I am just scared of not having enough room with a wife and 2 kids. Also, not having enough power IF ever needed. You know. Let me be honest about something as well. i don't feel as masculin driving a smaller truck.

2. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Tacomas are the shit! IMO beat the look of the new Tundra by far..

3. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, I can only see a portion of your needs and uses, but for me, the more useful and better choice of the two was the Tacoma.

There are more reasons that I don't want the Tundra. Those are....

1. V8 = too much consumption. Besides, I think that someone on here calculated that based on the weight of the Taco and displacement, the V6 was putting out more power.

2. Tundra is too large. I want more maneuverability. It's already tougher than a car to get into parking. Don't need the extra bulk and I don't haul that much stuff. 98% of my driving is mostly me along in the truck (boy do I need to make friends or what).

3. I think it's more to insure the larger truck.

4. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    One of my friends has a Tacoma DC and me and another guy fit in the back easily. The Access Cabs don't have that much room in the back. My girlfriend and her friend barely fit in the backseat of mine. The V6 Tacos have, IMO, plenty of power. Then again, it all depends on what size boat you're haulin and how much power you NEED. And no one's going to question your masculinity in a Tacoma.

5. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you are worried about power and space then there isn't much we can do to make the Tacoma a better option for you. I feel like plenty man enuf driving mine...It's more about the driver than the car/truck.

It sounds like you are comfortable having a full size...so go for it...Get the Tundra.

6. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    How about a DC long bed enough room for the family and just as long as a full size extended cab.

7. Apr 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    It depends What you really want. I personally never wanted a full size for a few reasons. Gas, my dad has one so i can mooch whenever, I like the maneuverability to take it off road on tight trails, and looks. I think the new tundras are hideous. If you are worried about power but have some cash to play with, URD's new supercharger puts out 400+ HP

However, If you need a full size truck, the tundra is an excellent choice. My friends dad has one and can haul three ditrbikes with no issues whatsoever. The space is enormous but the tacoma is more than adequate for my needs.

Someone once told me there isn't a tacoma owner who didn't truely want a tundra

8. Apr 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    My old truck was an 97 F-150 4x4 Extra Cab V8 and I drove that for many years. I also test drove the new Tundra's. Here are some reasons I decided to go with the Tacoma instead of another 1/2 ton:

- I love the looks of them, especially compared to the Tundra
    - Better fuel consumption than the V8's (although I don't think it's so much better that it would be a deal breaker on it's own)
    - Better size for around town driving and still plenty of power for moderate towing and "truck" needs
    - Didn't care about the masculinity argument. That said, the Tacoma is not that small of a truck. I actually compared it to my old F-150 and the double cab is almost the same length (I had a short box) and while the Taco was a little narrower and shorter, the overall towing and load capacity was suprisingly close to my old 1/2 ton and that beings me to my next point . . .
    - The new 1/2 tons have gotten obese. They are simply enormous with too much of everything IMHO. The 09 F-150 I test drove (liked it btw) felt like it lumbered down the road, steering was somwhat numb and the interior was almost too spacious. It's one thing to have space, but much of it is wasted "dead air". The Tundra felt the same to me as it was just too big. I would never come close to utilizing those trucks to their full potential so I didn't see the point of paying for it.
    - The Tacoma drove really nice. It felt tight, the steering was more responsive and it just felt more nimble. In short, it felt like I was driving it as opposed to being a passenger in it. Not sure if that makes any sense or not.

If you are going to be hauling lots of stuff all the time or really need to tow heavy loads, then I can see going to 1/2 ton. For me though, the extra capacity was not needed and the additional PITA factor of driving such a large vehicle on a daily basis would get to me. As such, I opted for the Taco and I don't think I made any compromises given how I will use the truck.

Good luck!

9. Apr 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    The Tundra DC's are NICE!!! You can get smoking deals on them now as well.

If your into wheelin & trails, the Tacoma is better.

If you need room for the family, the Tundra is solid. The MPG isn't that much worse. They are excellent off-road too, just not nimble.

Good Luck!!

10. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    msco123

msco123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner
    I was in the same situation you are in. I have driven full size chevys for years but got tired of the size and wanted a change. Took a gamble about 3 weeks ago, and got the Prerunner V6 double cab. It took a little while to get used to the somewhat smaller size. But trust me, you will not be disappointed. This is the sports car of trucks! This is just one hell of a fun truck to drive. And, when you put your foot in it, the Tacoma will impress.

11. Apr 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    That's an issue with YOU, not the truck. Besides, you're the one driving a Pious... ;)

Only you can know your needs. I personally did not need a full size truck like the Tundra but I would LIKE to have one. I don't regret my choice but I have two friends that have them and I love their trucks but, then again, I love mine.

Power, it's a non-issue. You're talking 0-60 in the just over 7 second range and the ability to tow 6500lbs. I've never once felt I needed more power. Besides, modding and adding a couple or 3 HP is fun or you can go all out and add the TRD SC.

Room, I have plenty for 4 adults. It's just the wife and a 6 month old so we have more than enough. I'd be willing to bet there's more room than your Prius.

Buy what you WANT because making payments on something you aren't happy with SUCKS.

12. Apr 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    I have the Dcab and have no problems with my wife and two kids in car seats in the back, plenty of room. I pull a 24ft/ 4500lb trailer with no problems and the 95% of the time I am not towing I get better then Tundra mileage!

13. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    BBQ BOY

Member:
    Hahaha. I know I drive a Prius!!! It doesn't do it for me but in the cars defense, it is a very impressive car. I drive a lot and my full size trucks were killing my wallet. I thought I could buy a gas efficient car and drive my father's Ram or my brother's Tundra when I needed a truck. Well, every time I need a truck they are nowhere to be found or if I am using their truck they are calling me wanting to know when I am bringing it back. Aggravating! funny thing is they never seem to be driving their trucks when I don't need one.

the masculin thing was part joke too.

14. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^There's nothing wrong with driving a Prius, that's my point. A vehicle doesn't determine what kind of person you are, YOU do.

Well, unless you drive a Beetle.

15. Apr 12, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I know somebody already said something, but I couldn't resist.

I think the reasons for the Tacoma over the Tundra are what you listed in your OP. If you need LOTS of power, you're going to want the Tundra. There should be plenty of room in the Tacoma DC for your wife and 2 kids... if they can fit in a Prius, they can fit in a Tacoma.

My father-in-law has a Tundra... it's an awesome truck, but I prefer my Tacoma for several reasons. Still... If I have to haul a big boat or carry rail road ties around, I call him and borrow.

16. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Yeah, if you off road the taco is better, it can fit throught the tight spaces and more nimble. However, if you get the stick shift like I did, you would be better off getting a V8 because you would get the same MPG. I would further extend my search to (Dare I say.... Chevy and Ford.... Flame ON)....... because they have cyclinder shutoff and I know the chevy can get 19-20 mpg highway on a V8.....

Neways... I love the tundra but the C Channel frame on it is pretty weak. Also, if you do your own oil changes, the Tundra is a beyotch to change because it has a weired oil filter. Good luck man.... I love my taco but sometimes wish I got a full size for the power to mpg ratio. The Fords are lookin awesome but I don't trust FORDs for longevity....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

17. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    BBQ BOY

Member:
    Thanks Papabear. I love the new F150. Great looking truck. The video convinced me to stay away from the Tundra. i had no idea it was a C channel frame.

18. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    No prob man... I haven't seen any issues on the Taco with the frame though.... but for a full size truck, it should be capable of heavy duty tasks... I don't think the frame would hold up over time.

The fords are sick... I really like the off road verstion the SVT Raptor.

Products Discussed in

To Top