1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma quality going down hill...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tonkatoy, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    tonkatoy

tonkatoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport Acc 4x4 6 spd

2. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nope....25K on my 6 speed and I haven't heard a sound of it that I didn't make happen....to include a little bit of grinding here and there...

3. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    1st gen ftmfw? ;)

4. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    My truck is tough as nails...sorry to hear about the luck with yours! Any thing thats messed up on my truck is my own fault, but other than that its holding up like a champ and its almost 5 years old. The engine is perfect and so is my interior :thumbsup: :taco:

Edit: BTW Fuck Nissan lol! You couldn't pay to drive that minivan with a bed :laugh:

5. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line

6. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab 4x4 TRD
    what car or truck doesn't have something wrong with it? i have a 6 speed and it doesn't make any noise at all. and my ac was busted too but Toyota fixed it on warranty in a few hours...

7. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    tonkatoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:

8. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    tonkatoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thats the problem. Dealership isn't addressing the problem with my transmition. They just keep changing the troughout bearing. Toyota won't speak to me. Their customer service sucks. They just send me back to the dealership. And same thing.

Many people have had problems with their 4x4 6 speed. There should be a TSB for this.

9. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    I got the base model and it came with power locks and power windows but never came with intermittent wipers that pissed me off and not having a illuminated 4 wheel drive switch is dumb to. But as for the plastic bed scratches easy and leaves white marks who cares i had my truck for a week and i was lugging big rocks with it and then lugging around my ski doo in the pan all winter with the carbines on the ski's ripping and tearing away at the bed, seem to hold up fine to me if your not like a little girl like you!

10. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    My '06 TRD Sport is nearning 50k miles and no problem. I take her off-road for my job so she gets rattled and banged around:D. She is still tight with no interior or exterior rattles. The metal is thin, but that is what makes it lighter. Can't have it all. The weight is what makes this such a good off road truck!!

All manufacturers need to monitor build quality and some trucks will be lemons. But I am very happy with my Taco. No issues here at all:).

11. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    tonkatoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    No Problems with the 6 speed? Mine didn't come until 30,000. Listen for a chirping sound when you are idling.

12. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well put :cool:

13. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    ...well, now that they build em in USA it does seem the quality went down from gen1. To me though, it has less problems/less severe problems, than a Bronco,Dakota or silverado I have had.

Perhaps the more you have, the more you want.

14. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You don't have to tell me to listen- My job/life relies on me seeing/hearing/feeling if an engire/driveline changes pitch or speed or does anything it's not supposed to.

And nope...No issues at all.

15. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    tonkatoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thats one of the points that I'm trying to make. The "build quality". Its horrible. I don't remember gen 1's with half of these issues. The paint is really bad.

16. Nov 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    While some of your concerns are legitimate problems, some are minor inconveniences or things you do not like.

Thankfully you don't have my list:

- Rear leaf TSB (replaced leaf pack due to excessive bottoming)
    - Torn front mud flaps replaced (design flaw with '05 flaps)
    - Air Conditioning compressor replaced (bit the bullet)
    - Front bumper TSB (new aluminum cross member due to design flaw)
    - Exhaust Manifold TSB (new manifolds due to exhaust ticking)
    - Two oxygen sensors (facked during exhaust manifold TSB)
    - Rear actuator replaced for the locking diff (locker wouldn't engage)
    - Rear locking actuator position switch replaced on two separate occasions (located on rear axle)
    - Premature death of various bulbs and leds in the dash area.
    - New fog light switch
    - Four new TRD OR Aluminum rims (peeling, bubbling finish)
    - Blown out front Bilstein shock (replaced with Bilstein 5100's on my dime)
    - Two rear side axle seals replaced (leaked gear oil in rear drums)
    - Rear brake shoes and drums replaced due to contamination from leaking side axle seals
    - Rear mud flap torn (replaced on my dime)
    - Rack and pinion replaced (worn internal bushings - clunking noise)
    - Lower control arms and ball joints replaced (excessive play)
    - Front left caliper replaced (seizure)
    - Front brake pads replaced due to seized caliper
    - New hinges on drivers door (worn pins/bushings)
    - Heater / AC control box replaced due to non serviceable, burnt out LED back lighting.
    - New sway bar bushings due to excessive play/clunking
    - New battery
    - One of the rear "updated" TSB leafs snapped (replaced on my dime).
    - Front right wheel bearing imploded
    - Front right brake caliper seized
    - Brake pads replaced again due to seized caliper
    - Another new front rim replaced under warranty.
    - Replaced all 24 lug nuts due to aluminum caps falling off/disfigured.

All this in 93,000 miles. I use my Truck, but NEVER abuse it.

Some items have never been resolved, such as a rattling front windshield cowl, a rattling drivers side exterior mirror, and the front windows rattling when only down halfway.

other than that, I have been problem free!;)

17. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    The build quality is better than most imo, I've sworn off Dodges and fords from what i have had , and the crappy ones we have at work.

18. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    I will say that I know the 6 speed has some issues. I wanted one when I was getting mine and I test drove one and threw the idea of it out the door and went with an auto. Just didn't feel right/good.

Also did alot of research so I was well aware of its potential issues.

That said, some people have the 6-speeds and love them and have no problems at all.

The bottom line though is that you aren't going to get a more capable and reliable truck in this class.

The frontier comes close and is a great truck, but the reliability isn't nearly as high as our tacomas, no matter what you hear the fanboys claiming. You also simply can't get a dealer to come down on the price of a Pro-4X like a TRD because the PRO-4X Frontiers are treated like rare little special order trucks.

You need to realize that you get unlucky sometimes.

My friend's father bought a brand new accord a couple years ago and within a year it was replaced under the lemon-law because things kept failing like dominos.

Sorry you're having a tough time.

19. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    tonkatoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I know I was a little harsh on the Tacoma. But I'm trying to get a list together. If we speak up. Toyota will address the issues. Standing around and saying what a great truck they are won't.

20. Nov 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Really? Because your point seems to be that you made a bad buying decision and bought a truck you weren't sure about. Who buys a vehicle on reputation alone? People who will be unhappy in the future, that's who.

Products Discussed in

To Top