1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma seat comfort

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by codykid, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    codykid

codykid [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Looking to purchase
    The last Toyota truck I had was a 1981 Land Cruiser when we lived in Wyoming. Great for the area, job change to Florida and without A/C not so good. I'm thinking about a Tacoma. I have had the following: 2005 Dakota, 2003 Explorer, 2000 Mazda(Ford) B4000, 1997 Ranger, 1992 S-10. I'm looking for current Tacoma owners impressions of the sitting comfort. On my list of vehicles above the worse seats were in the Dakota, Explorer, and Ranger. All seats were terrible on long drives of more than 200 miles at a time. Seat comfort on long trips was like bricks, really killed the lower spine. No combination of seat cushions could fix the problems and dealers/manufacturers could care less. Also, have any owners converted from cloth (factory installed) covers to leather and could recommend the comfort and cost? Thank you for taking your time to read and respond. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

2. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    The "Big Nig"
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    personally, I'm not too impressed by the comfort of the seats in my 2010 TRD Sport. I even re-appolstered them in leather and added heat seat kits. The heat definitely helps with my back pain, but the seats still aren't that great. there are other people that say they are the most comfortable seats they've ever had, but I don't feel that way.

3. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I am very happy with my seats. I also had them covered in heated leather and I love it! I have heard no complaints from anyone who rides with me either.

The TRD Sport and TRD Off Road come with the sport bucket seats with mesh inserts. I think the SR5 and base models share the same non-bolstered buckets. (2nd gen models)

4. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ive had a lot of comments on how comfortable my seats are (SR5)

One of the first thing I noticed when I test drove it. I wish it had up/down adjustment, Id like it to be a hair lower so I can see lights at some intersections better (im 6'1) but that probably due to my TSB springs raising the ass end up, obviously my solution will be a slight lift up front :)

At 120k miles they are still comfortable, the drivers seat is a little bit worn in compared to brand new. Toyota vehicles always have awesome seats IMO, my Supra being the best.

5. Nov 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    I hate my 1st gen seats.

6. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a '11 TRD Sport DCLB. The seats themselves are comfortableto me. However I feel that some up down adjustment would be good and the steering wheel could have more telescoping for it to adjust well to me. I am 6'1 and have very long legs. I feel that when my seat is in the perfrct position for my legs the steering wheel is too far away, with a little higher seat position and a little more telescoping the problem would be resolved. All in all its not bad, I have found a compromise position that works well for me but wish those two changes could be made.

7. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    Dj0rk

Dj0rk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Lifted indigo
    I have an 08 DCLB and coming from a Mazda3s the seats are night and day. I'm going to be moving soon from Nevada to Massachusetts and an actually looking forward to being stuck in the truck for 3+ days. My wife and kids on the other hand...

But that's why they make Valium and Benadryl.

8. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    TANK

TANK Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TACOMA 6SPD 4WD E-Locker
    885 on 5100, dakar leaf pack, N182, BFG AT, colour match grill, Weather tech, Marathon Super-hide seat covers, Leer 100R w/Yakima rack, ROLA basket, sleeping platform, tailgate theft mod, Plasti-dip badges, bed liner: TRD skid/rear bumper, ABC extinguisher
    I have the TRD seats in my 08. I'm happy with them, and have no complaints. I suggest going to test drive both, an sr5 and TRD package, to get a feel for both.

9. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4
    Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers, 265/70 17 Bridgestone Dueler ATs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover.
    Coming from a BMW and often driving 400 miles to visit family down in NJ I was a little worried about the comfort of my sport seat (the seats in my BMW were amazing). Needless to say, made my first 400 mile drive in my truck this past Wednesday and the seats were great.

Jaab likes this.
  10. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    I have an 11 DBL Cab TRD off road. I am about 5'11 and 190 lbs. Seats are great on my back. Support from bottom to top. I have already done one roadtrip from CA to Montana and back and loved the seats. Some options like leather, heat, and electric or better adjustable settings would make it even better, but overall they are excellent.

11. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    They suck on longer trips. Just like the OP said, after three or so hours they become pretty bad, to me at least. This in a 08' Prerunner SR5 DC.

12. Nov 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4
    Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers, 265/70 17 Bridgestone Dueler ATs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover.
    By the way I am 5'8" 200 lbs. and fit rather snuggly in the sport seats, was surprised how comfortable they were for such a long drive.

13. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    2011 double cab TRD off road.........5'6" 163lbs......seats are very comfortable for me.

14. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB 4.0 6-speed semi-debadged
    clear DTRLs, AMO Buckshots, factory upgrades, lifted
    Agreed. The seats seem rock hard and have no friendly contours to ease the pressure. I have the lumbar support jacked all the way up and am still stiff after 60-miles. I was thinking of buying 2005-2009 Mustang seats and putting them in, as those were the most form-fitting, comfortable seats I've ever had. Mustang seats also have multiple-point adjustments, so I could move the seat up, down, tilt seat, tilt back, etc.

Fairly small build, with a princess-and-the-pea type arse, apparently.

15. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Never felt uncomfortable in my Sport seats

16. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    If it's the bench, I'd rate it a 4/10. Not terrible, but after a while starts to feel like cardboard.

The base buckets are much better. I'd say a 7/10. Still not quite up to Tundra/Corolla/Camry standards, but still comfortable. Haven't ridden in one with lumbar adjustment and whatnot so I don't have an opinion on those.

For some reason I fit Honda seats best. I just miss the side bolsters in the Toyotas. Even my entry level Fit had awesome side supports and absolutely perfect back support. I could ride in that thing for a long long time without being sore. After about 2 hours in the Taco buckets I'm looking for a place to stop and stand up.

17. Nov 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i hate my 2010 access cab offroad seats, uncomfortable on my 3 hour commute daily. I wish i could put the seats from my nissan titan into this as those have been the best seats i have ever had in a truck. leather, heated, power everything etcc......my seat in the tacoma goes forward and back, no lumbar, < the lack of no lumbar is what is killing my back. i freaking hate my seats!!!!!!!!!!

18. Nov 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Goflight2

Goflight2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2011 4x4 LB
    TRD Supercharger Snug top SL Window Tint 5% rear, 35% front, 40% windshield Avid Off Road bolt on sliders Andres Toyota Horns Hard-wired Garmin Nav Weather Techs 5100's in front Rear TSB Bed Extender OEM Roofrack TRD Exhaust Ultra gauge 18" Monster XD's on Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I'm 6'4", 225lbs. My 2011 DCLB 4x4 Sports seats feel like they are a little "thin" for me. Long distance driving is not that great. I feel like the sides of the seats are poking into my sides. Annoying. For the record, I love everything else about my Baby.

19. Nov 26, 2011 at 4:01 AM
    UH60Hwkdrvr

UH60Hwkdrvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pyeongtaek City, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Double Cab Silver
    Windows tinted, NFAB Steps, Undercover Tonneau, Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 951C wheels
    6'1", 190lbs, 2011 DC with the Sport Bucket Seats...seats are cushy enough for long distance travel, however, my lower back starts hurting after 1.5 -2.0 hours of sitting. The lumbar support, in my opinion, is too high to provide any real support to prevent lower back pain. I have a small lumbar pillow that I use when my back starts hurting. HTH

m.a.c.

20. Nov 26, 2011 at 5:03 AM
    Seattle Clam

Seattle Clam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRDsport
    I did 7 hours yesterday in my 2010 TRD sport. That's more driving than I usually do and I don't have the best back in general, but the Taco's driver seat was pretty comfy the whole way

To Top