1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma shopping and need some help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bamahoyt, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 Xtra Cab
    -Camper top
    I had an 05 DC LB 4x4 but sold it about 3 months ago to put some money towards student loan debt but I have regretted selling it since that day. I hate my 4runner so it is sold and now I am looking at getting into a 1997-2004 Tacoma but was wondering about some issues that these trucks may have or special things to look for when checking them out. Also I have found a few 1997-2000 ex cab 4x4 with 120-150k on them and seems like they are going from 5500-7500. What do you guys think is a good price to Pick one up at and comments on the 4cyl compared to 6cyl? Any thoughts? Also about the 2001-2004 I have the same questions. Thanks for all the help and I am looking forward to getting back into a Tacoma!

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    As someone fresh off the hunt on a 1st gen, the biggest issue I came across is the condition of the frame...the rest is standard used car checklist stuff. See how the oil looks, see how the antifreeze looks, check tranny fluid. Is it dirty? Have a burned, chemical smell? Pull the fuse block cover...was anyone messing around in there? Look at the pedals...are they worn smooth or still have ribs in them? Drive the thing, feel how it shifts, listen to the engine. If a manual trans, is there any clutch chatter? Feel the brakes, any pull, or pulse? On a 4x4, go somewhere like a sandy parking lot and check that the transfer case engages...put it low range, if equipped, check the locker. I was specifically looking for a 6cyl, and every engine I came across purred, they seem to be a well engineered piece. I couldn't imagine a 4cyl would be fun to drive, but some here like'em. Since you're a long time Toyota guy, you know what's right and what isn't, what was hacked and what's factory. I did notice that Florida trucks are cheaper. A 120-150k truck in the northeast would be in the 10k range. Ask to see the title too...reject a truck that is branded salvage, rebuilt or even duplicate, too many scamsters out there

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 Xtra Cab
    -Camper top
    Thanks for the help! I am looking at trucks in Texas around houston since that is where I am living now but I am keeping my eyes open

4. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    I prefer the 01 - 04. I've had both a 97 and an 03.

I would assume you are going for another DC. However, since they didn't offer a 5 speed in a DC, that rules out a DC for me. Five speed all the way. I have an extended cab and it sucks for hauling folks, but it's nice to have a full-sized bed.

Engines: V6 all the way. Forget the 2.7.

Those prices sound reasonable if not pretty darn good.

I would opt for a 2003 or 2004, V6, 5 speed and be patient. There are good deals to be had, like some old grandpa looking to get rid of one. I would also look to get a TRD too.

5. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    I agree with the fellows above, off and on I spent about 9 months looking for a truck, I had the ability to wait for something I wanted. It can be hard, with the frame recall, the numbers have been reduced. At least you are in a better area for looking, I got my truck last fall from Texas, and with the price, and condition I am happy with her. I was a lower price, but the lady told me she was just dirty, and that was true, but hell, it is a truck, not a Lexus.
    I hunted on ebay, with ONLY top rated dealers, since I figured it would have to ship. Use carfax, and try to take your time. (sorry I don't trust craiglist for cars)

To Top