1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Sport or Off Road

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by CaliforniaKid, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab TRD OR
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    I have been looking at Tacomas and have narrowed it down to two. A 2009 4X4, Dbl Cab LB w/TRD Sport Pkg , 6 inch Pro Comp lift and Pro Comp tires (looks great) (they have knocked it down from 38k to 33k or a 2010 4X4, Dbl Cab w/Trd Off Road pkg for around 32K. I'm leaning toward the 2010 because it's OR even though the 2009 Sport lifted is incredible looking because I'm thinking the OR will be much better 4-wheeling. Is the OR really all that much better than the Sport? I already have a 2003 Tj so I'm wondering if the Sport would be fine for most off roading and snow, but am thinking it may replace the Jeep if the OR really shines. I guess I am really asking how much better is the TRD OR than the TRD Sport in the dirt, mud and snow?

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The sports hold their own off road- I have an 08 sport with a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires. I go pretty much anywhere I want around here. I'll need to install lockers and skid plates before I do much more.

The factory locker in the rear and the front swaybar and progressive springs are worth if its going to be offroaded alot. I've been out with some TJ/YJ drivers and they are way better off....so I'd vote for offroad the Jeep and run the Sport (altho I'd go look for a 2010 sport without that lift...But that's just me)

Good luck and welcome!!

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    Thanks Brunes, I was wondering about the TRD OR and throwing a lunchbox locker in front and thought then I could about go anywhere. But the lifted 09 Sport is one beautiful truck. The Jeep is a work in progress but has no room for anything. Everytime we go to the kids we have to take out the back seat for guns, luggage etc. The Tacoma is more practical. With the Sport I'll probably keep sinking money into the Jeep. With the TRD Off Road I'll probably start sinking money into it. Of course the wife wants something that won't get stuck...LOL

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I would go for the 2010...cause that is exactly what I got. If you feel that you will be making off road trips it is nice to have the locker from the factory. The one main reason I bought the truck so that I can off road it. I am not a fan of the larger lifts. If you get a new one you can add whatever you want to your liking. You should be able to get the 2010 for Invoice. Good luck. Post pictures when you get it. Here is a crappy picture of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    Nice Truck Tricoma and the same color I'm looking at in both the 2009 and 2010. I think you have both about convinced me to go for the 2010.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I also like the short bed for wheeling. It turns like a car..I did replace a 2007 DC Long Bed Tundra that was wrecked in front of my house and that truck has a wide turn radius. For the longest time I wanted the DC Long Bed...but when I figured I would take it wheeling more than putting stuff in the back I decided to go with the short bed. I would just ask yourself questions like...do you need the extra room for the long bed? Can you do without the lift and save up for the exact lift you want? I think putting on the pro comp lift also cuts into things but I am not sure. I am likely getting new wheels in the next couple of weeks and then as soon as I save up for a lift I will likely go with Fox Shoxs all the way around with a leaf pack...then too the armor like All Pro bumper, sliders, skid plates. Since my other car is still working...BMW with 200k+ miles the truck will be just for fun and driven on the weekends and trips...but will be the every day car once the BMW dies.

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    I'm not into big lifts, even on my Jeep, and the long bed is only 13 inches longer anyway. My wife and I drove both and the stock height Off Road drove way better than the lifted sport. The sport vibrated and wandered, while the Off Road was rock solid. I think if I get the OR and throw on some Cooper Discoverer STTs I'll be alot happier.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Did you drive a stock height Sport?
    The 'wandering & vibration' was probably due to the lift.

Is the 2009 a used truck? The 2010 is bran new?

9. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    I really tossed and turned on this, but I went OR. I decided the e-lockered OR was worth a lot more to me then cosmetics on the sport. that said, just because you buy an OR doesn't mean you can't end up looking like a sport. I already painted the grill surround, and may be swapping for a black rear bumper instead of the OR's chrome. And that just leaves looking for a swap or buying a sport hood. since your looking at lifts, the differnces in the stock OR over the stock sport suspension don't matter, so really its down to cosmetics vs locker and traction control (for what thats worth).

10. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    OffRoad all the way

11. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    Off Road for sure. 6" lift seems a little extreme unless you plan on doing that in the next year or so. You may not like the ride quality and it would suck if you had to take it off just to enjoy your truck.

12. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    Both are new and no they did not have a stock height Sport. Only had two 4X4s total. But boy is the sport one bad azz looking truck!

13. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    If you are used to having a locker in TJ, you better go with the Offroad. I've wheeled along with sport and OR, and I love the OR capability. But, if you really like the lifted sport, go for it. You can add locker later on anyway.

Throw in some leather seats and electronics inside. It will be a nice family vehicle.

I have DB LB open diffential by the way.

14. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Shop around.....there's gotta be more of them out there. Be patient.
    Don't make a decision based on all they have on that paticular lot.

Try this:
    www.cars.com
    www.autotrader.com

15. Oct 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    try craigslist too, denver, Phoenix, SD,OC,(all of cali really) LV, SLC Portland etc... Some used trucks have lots of goodies taken care of already. just got to be careful. I found mine off CL in Bakersfield, and I can tell you there was not a single TRD Sport LB in NM. not with low mileage, high mileage, not at all. plenty more options in cali tho.

That is a good call. Try to find a stock sport LB to test drive. mine handles like a champ. I would recommend a truck thats not lifted by someone else (that you dont know and trust), So you can do it right. (tires too) IMHO 6" is overkill for a DD (I am really interested the Icon coilover setup, adjustable up to 3". supposed to increase the quality of the ride, not just the height.... there is lots of more affordable options too.)
    ( thats just me tho, platinum taste on an aluminum foil budget...:rolleyes:)
    If you can get a stock truck for a better deal.... I would do that. (the whole 38,000 stealership lifted truck seems like a ripoff. even for 5G's off MSRP) look at what some of the folks on TW have done for a similar amount (+or - a couple first born children, left testicles and 2nd mortgages...:D...)

If i was still a bachelor I 'd have gone Access cab TRD OR all the way. but... with kids and wanting more bed space for camping and kayaking gear plus a tool box (soon hopefully) the DC long bed is crucial.(for me) plus if you have a jeep to beat on, then you can keep the new truck in healthier shape. I'd say you will have to try pretty hard to get it stuck under most circumstances. The LSDiff. will work for 99% of my driving and Ive never had this nice of a Toy so i am not eager to go max it out....too much. ( i have a 1991 6cyl standard cab 4x4 Toy with 253K on her if Really want to go rampage without paying to much in consequences...:mudding:

16. Oct 17, 2009 at 1:54 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    Well it's starting to look like we won't be getting a Tacoma. This dealer does not seem to want to sell either truck and searching other dealer inventories in a 150 mile radius is turning up nothing.

17. Oct 17, 2009 at 3:42 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Off road all the way!

18. Oct 17, 2009 at 4:13 AM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:

If you have a costco card go in and talk to the costco person. They are generally in fleet....they can give you an idea of what is coming in. Just wait for the truck that you want. That is what I did and the dealer I talked to showed me on the computer what color and model was set to be delivered. Why are they not wanting to sell the truck to you? What are you offering. For the 2010 if you pay 500 above invoice that is still a good deal. There are no rebates cause of the time of the year and 2009 are gone. I had a friend say he can get me 200 above...but he was about 100 miles away. So i just went locally and told the dealer...we are serious..didn't want to haggle much...give us the truck for dealer invoice. It was probably the best experience I have had a the dealership. Fly to SD and then make a trip home...hehehe good luck.

19. Oct 17, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I like the Sport. Offroad looks plain (but can be easily fixed). The Sport is still quite capable offroad

20. Oct 17, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Be patient and keep looking. Believe me..... when we were looking for a jeep (trail rig), it took us 3 months to find that GEM in the rough.

Either that - or start researching prices for a new one. Sometimes - with only a few thousand dollars more, you can have a new one. If you play your cards right, brush up on your bargaining skills, and get a 'dealer war' going - you could get yourself a newbie!!

Good Luck!!

Products Discussed in

To Top