1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma to the rescue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Raylo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Access Cab, TRD Sport
    Gotta love it... I live in the 'burbs near Washington DC and when it comes to the electric utility it might as well be a banana republic. Another great benefit of utility deregulation and privatization: they attempt to cut costs by foregoing the usual tree trimming around power lines and instead choose to fix the inevitable outages as onesies and twosies. But they didn't count on a routine line (but on the strong side of routine) of summer t-storms that comes through in about 30 minutes knocks a quarter of a million people off the grid... and will take *days* to recover. But I digress...

So what to do about my refrigerator. That's where the Tacoma comes in with its 400 W inverter. My newer Energy Star fridge has "power cool" settings that basically run the compressor at the level of older units to rapidly cool things down. That would be a 10 amp load and clearly too much for the Taco. But in the normal fridge settings the Taco inverter had no problem running it at all. So I am doing that for an hour or so a couple times a day to keep from having to toss my food and/or have a huge mess on my hands. Hopefully I will be plesantly surprised and find my power on when I get home today... But if not, I'll reconnect the Tacoma.

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    she will always come through for ya in times of need :thumbsup:

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    I was expecting a sick story of you pulling some trees off the downed lines or pulling something out from a down tree, but a good save none the less. Glad to see you found a use for the inverter, a lot of people seem to think it is useless. I, myself, am jealous of said inverter. Hope the power gets on soon though, because the neighbors might need to "borrow" your truck for a while...

To Top