1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Trailing Arm

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 08pretaco, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I was talking with some people. A reputable shop offered to make me trailing arms for my Tacoma. For parts, labor, anything else needed to make them I was quoted around 2500-3000 (without shocks).

What are your thoughts about this? I was thinking of going with some sort of SUA. The cost between the 2 gets very minimal once you add in labor for installing the SUA (I do not know how to weld).

Has anyone converted their daily driver like this?

In case some people are unaware of what trailing arms are I have posted a picture below:

This is a 1st Gen Tacoma I believe:
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Hmm depends on what you're using the truck for, I assume desert pre-running if you're looking to go either trailing arms or sua. If I had to pick between the two I would go trailing arms but that's with no experience whatsoever ever with that kind of stuff

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    why? are you planning to race your truck?

there is a huge difference between a linked truck and a SUA truck: cost to build, performance, practicality for a DD

you should never link a truck with out a full cab cage

if you were to link your truck, you would have a race truck rear end and basically a stock front end... that doesn't make sense

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Yeah take the advice from the guy with lt^^. But give us some more info on what you want to do, and what you have on your truck

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    Damn it! You posted before me...arrows intended for matt

JPaules likes this.
  6. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    He also quoted me for a full cage.

I probably will. Just the price of it really got me curious about it since it was so close to doing a SUA. I would love to race, as we all would lol but it just isnt it the cards.

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Dont have LT in the front, building the rear first then I will get my way to the front so what I have no makes very little difference lol. I want to be able to go out and be able to run the truck how I want to without being held back (doubtfully going to be all that crazy, but I am young you never know).

This is not going to happen anytime soon. I am way to busy with school and work so if anything happens it will be June, July so I have time to save up, do more research and really figure out which direction I want to go with my truck.

Anyone here have money that they want to send my way as a sponsor :D

8. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    good, i was going to be worried if a shop was willing to link your truck with out a cage...is it SDHQ by chance?

i love their work, they turn out some of the coolest trucks

links just are not practical for a DD, do SUA first, then if you feel you need more from the truck then you can link it

ontop of the $3000 for the links and cage you'll still need coilovers, bypasses, air bumps, fuel cell, bedsides, and then you have to do something about your front suspension otherwise your rear end is a big waste of money

check out defined SUA kit, best bang for the buck or you could go with the DMZ or Giant SUA kits

9. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    But Matt SUA also add up. To get the full benefit and do it right isnt cheap either. Say you go with Giant:
    Kit -1700
    2.5" -1325
    3" -2050
    Bedcage -1850

Total to Giant SUA right: $ 4,875 then add for labor if you cannot weld.

Which is a lot to blow only to want something else after its all said and done lol

And no it was not SDHQ, they probably would have quoted me 6K+ easily

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    thats why nobody is ever done when they cross over to the dark side... you just keep spending money and spending money haha

nothing in the LT world is cheap brotha, $5K to SUA the rear is typical. thats about what i paid for mine with parts and fab work.

if your truck was strictly a dez truck then links would be the way to go but you have to be realistic... your truck is going to see far more pavement then it does dirt. SUA works, if done right. alot of race trucks a on leafs and not linked. MJP2 has the Giant SUA and he races his truck

it's totally your call, i'm just going off my experience and knowledge saying i dont think links are the right route for you... at this point in time.

nothing ever goes according to plan and if you decide to link the truck it will cost you more than you expected and then you still have to build the front end... just saying

11. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Ya I here ya Matt. And I do agree, unfortunately the truck sees more pavement than dirt. I have been thinking of quitting college, quitting my job and just going to live in the Mojave desert and enjoy my truck....

I guess the thing that struck me as fun about the links are that, well no one really runs them between us normal folk so I wanted to be different and stand out lol

12. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    dont worry, everybody's truck see's more pavement than dirt. my truck doesnt even remember what dirt is... it's been so long since i've gotten to go out and play.

but you are right, links are sexy. this truck was built by the guy who did the work on my truck... took home 1st in the pismo huckfest last year

[​IMG]

but leafs sprung trucks can still totally hang with the big dogs

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top