1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Trany slipping

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by birddog12, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    birddog12

birddog12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Lakewood , Calif.
    Vehicle:
    tacoma pre-runner
    Hello I'm new to this and need some help . I have a 2000 tacoma pre-runner extra-cab . My problem is my trany was slipping in drive when I would start it on a cold morning . Took it to my trany shop and they said to rebuild it . My truck has 125000 miles on it . Got it back and a few days latter it started doing it again . Took it back they checked it out and rebuilt the trany again . Still didnt fix it . So my trany guy got a salvage trany rebuilt it put it in and guess what , same thing . He changed the throtlle position sensor . Even the radiator [thought the trany cooler was plugged ] . What is weird is after all this , now that it's getting warmer here in so.cal. its got a lot better and only slips maybe once a week cold or hot and when it does I just take off in 1st to 2nd to drive and after that its OK ??? [reverse is always OK ] The computer checks out OK . I even checked out a couple of the ICU computer rebuilders and they said the Rav-4s had problems but not the Tacomas . Can any one help me . THANKS ---- JIM

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    2011trdyota

2011trdyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    athens ga
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM dcsb
    Xd wheels,falken a/ts flow master super 44 with a turndown. Soon to come: camo wet okoles, raptor satoshi, and NFab nerf bars
    have you checked the shift sensor?

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Tranny kickdown cable?

4. Mar 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    birddog12

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Lakewood , Calif.
    Vehicle:
    tacoma pre-runner
    Thanks for the reply I'll check those out . Also I read a post on another blog that the battery could be the problem . Sounds weird but this advice was from a mechanic . I'll check these out with my trany guy and get back . Thanks Again

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    birddog12

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Lakewood , Calif.
    Vehicle:
    tacoma pre-runner
    I put in a new battery [mine was 6 years old ] a couple a days ago . And so far it's OK . My trany guy said he's had this problem on certain Fords but hasn't had this problem with Toyotas . But who knows ? You learn something new every day , Thanks --- Jim P.S. I checked out the cable and sensor and there OK

Products Discussed in

To Top