1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Travel Trailer Towng: Read If You Consider Buying An RV

Discussion in 'Towing' started by PPower05, May 12, 2014.

1. May 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    He's not saying that...it's what people on RV sites say.

2. May 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    SilverGraphite

SilverGraphite Expat Aussie

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD 4x4 bog standard
    No, I know that. I was agreeing with him. Maybe I could have worded it a bit better.:)

When I was a kid growing up in Australia in the 70's when trailers weren't so light and there were no big turbo diesels (at least in Australia), my Dad used to tow probably about 18 or 19 foot trailers with a '67 6 cylinder Valiant station wagon. You just have to have respect for the limitations of whatever equipment you have.

3. May 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Ahh, gotcha....yeah I definitely read it wrong.

4. Jun 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Motob

Motob Active Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC trd off road
    Grey 16" FJ rims, 265-75-r16 toyo open country mts, shrockworks rock sliders, snug top shell.
    Hello just wanted to add a few thoughts. Of course diesel trucks are ideal for towing thats what they are for... But they cost a lot of $$$ even an older used one is a lot of money.

My TT is kind of heavy for its size, 3900 lbs dry (not the best quality one) but I feel like my tacoma handles it pretty damn well. I defiantly agree that the weight distribution hitch is nice to have. I have towed both with it and without and the difference is very noticeable. I have a set of dakkars for the rear, no airbags but it sits pretty level as you can see from the pic.

Power is nothing crazy but honestly it's not all that bad, I have a lot of hills in my area (not super high elevation though) and if your able to keep your momentum up and shift right they are not so bad. I have passed slow peeps when I needed to up our worst grades at 55-65 no prob. I have a 6 speed manual so for me 3rd and 4th are my go to gears for hills, 5th for flats.

Like others have said gas mileage isn't that great.

Another point I wanted to make concerning water weight. Like others have said you can usually pull empty to the spot your camping. And when they talk about max loaded trailer weights they mean all tanks full. That's grey black and fresh. When do you ever tow with all 3 full? Maybe black and grey if they don't have a dump station but fresh you should have empty thats 400lbs or so.

Anyways kinda long post, but for us younger peeps ect who rely on one vehicle for all our uses and can't afford to have a separate tow rig, the taco can handle your camping needs no prob. Don't be scared to tow that 3500-4000 lb trailer you can do it!! Others even haul way bigger ones.

image.jpg

5. Jul 2, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    Breaky0self

Breaky0self Member

Member:
    Jupiter fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 Trd Sport metallic grey 2wd
    Are you still hauling this in 2015?
    If so how has your truck held up? Where have you taken it?

6. Jul 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM
    romafern

romafern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    stock and very pissed about the issues
    Machine gun mount. Would love to blow the shit out of it since it has nothing but issues. QA at Toyota USA is shit. Start making them in Japan for Christ's Sake!
    Anyone pulling an Airstream 28 ft International Series?

7. Jul 3, 2015 at 3:52 AM
    MichRocks

MichRocks Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Not a problem at all. After a finishing few camping trips over the last couple of months, (covering 300-700miles each trip), not a single issue. I am leaving for a 2,000 mile adventure once I finish my coffee this morning. Haven't a single worry. Our Nomad is 3600 lbs dry, I would estimate over 4500 full; pulls well (don't have mountains here though) :) . A WDH is a must, even at the lower weight...really makes the truck ride nice.

[​IMG]
    Only one rule....Enjoy your camper!

To Top