1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma TRD Pro Lift Kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Kalisimmonsmusic, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:05 PM
    Kalisimmonsmusic

Kalisimmonsmusic [OP] Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Rough Country steps
    Hey guys,

So I just bought a 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma and eventually I want to put a lift kit on it. I'm thinking suspension but I don't wanna put anything crappy on it because it is a pretty expensive truck. I don't think I want anything less than Fox or BDS but I can't seem to find ANYBODY who makes a lift for it. They all say does not fit TRD Pro models. Does anybody have any ideas or experiences so far? I was thinking a 6 inch lift but I definitely am open to hearing thoughts because I don't know too much about all this. At first I thought a 2.5 inch spacer lift with the 1 inch lift the truck has stock but I'm not sure if that'll be enough. Also what size tires/wheels could I run with a 3.5 inch lift or 6 inch lift? Thanks!!

17ProTaco likes this.
  2. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Well if you have an actual Pro you already have a suspension lift on it. :facepalm:

3. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Welcome!

A lot of people here are going to give you grief for buying the TRD Pro and then immediately ripping out the biggest component of the TRD Pro package, the Fox suspension.

Having said that, its your money and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Whats your end goal (by that I mean what do you plan on doing with the truck? Is it going to be a pavement pounder, driving fire roads, desert runner, rock crawler?) and what is your budget? Remember that a lift isn't just coils or shocks. In certain circumstances new upper control arms, wheels, ect. are required for proper fitment.

4. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    Rackness

Rackness Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    17' Tacoma
    Working on it.
  5. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    I hear fabtec makes good lifts.

6. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:28 PM
    Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB MGM
    Lights, Tires, Wheels,...more to come!
    Honestly, buying a TRD Pro and gutting the suspension is not very smart. Just an FYI, you can probably sell the suspension(front & rear shocks) for about $2k(I'm not sure what the going rate is these days) if you decide to install another suspension system. Don't want you to get ripped off. I see your new. Read & research here, read some more, than decide whats best for you and your wallet.

7. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    doorsidedown

doorsidedown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kalisimmonsmusic[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    grichg

grichg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    rich
    Laguna Beach
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4x4
    Camburg 3.0 Coilovers Camburg A-arms All Pro rear bumper CBI Front Bumper LED Light Bar and PODs and some other misc
    Different truck but I know guys that buy Raptors and the first thing they do is get the suspension redone. And were talking WAY more money and development than a Toyota Tacoma....

If you want to then do it!

HJM2 and Kalisimmonsmusic[OP] like this.
  9. Jul 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Any suspension lift that works with any other 3rd gen will work with a pro. Just be aware you paid a premium for that suspension, and pulling it off and selling you are going to end up taking a hit on component resale. And for the love of God, don't put a spacer lift on it.

krn_taco90, Ch78 and doorsidedown like this.
  10. Jul 4, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    chucklefunkk

chucklefunkk Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    I bet you could rock 35's with a 6 inch Rough Country spacer/block lift.

11. Jul 5, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    Larueminati

Larueminati Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD 0FF-ROAD
    6" lift your losing all that functionality that you paid big bucks for.

12. Jul 5, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    well since your truck already has fox. the only way to go that would be an actual upgrade would be kings

13. Jul 5, 2017 at 8:28 AM
    VangaSTL

VangaSTL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    So you already have a premium suspension on your truck. That's the main selling feature of the Pro. What is your reason for a 6" lift in addition the 2" you already have from buying the Pro? I don't think you realize how big of a headache you will have by lifting that high. It's not just shocks and springs. Your going to have to account for UCAs, LCAs, brake lines, ECGS bushing, and shims to get your angles right. Not to mention your going to put alot more wear and tear on your CV axles and carrier bearing. Unless your desert running in which case you need to look at Long Travel, any overlander will tell you that any amount of lift will do nothing for you if you can't stuff your wheels inside your fenders when flexing. So if your lifting to fit larger wheels you need to re-think what your doing. If your lifting to look good and plan to stay to tarmac a spacer lift will meet those standards. And if your deadset on replacing the suspension for whatever reason I would honestly stay away from the Fox 2.5s especially if you live in a 4 season state. They are made out of steel and are more prone to rust. I think Kings, Icons, or ADS would be what you want.

In summary, you have an excellent suspension already on it. Your going to spend a lot of money to put something better on. On top of that, you will still have to trim your fenders and chop your cab mount to properly fit larger tires even with a lift. Your better off keeping the suspension you have on there that's specifically tuned for your vehicle and lift your vehicle by putting larger tires on and trimming your fenders as needed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  14. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    Kalisimmonsmusic

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country steps

I don't want to add 6" on top of the 1" lift from the factory. I was thinking of just doing a 6" lift. OR keeping the 1" lift from the factory and doing a 2.5" spacer lift from BDS for a total of 3.5". What do you think would be better? I didn't know if 3.5 would be enough. 6 just looks so good.

15. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    Kalisimmonsmusic

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country steps
    Correct. 1". I want more.

16. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    chucklefunkk

chucklefunkk Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR
    If you're dying for more lift get a 1" spacer for up front and a 3 leaf progressive add a leaf for the rear. You'll gain an inch or so up front and 1.5 inches in the rear. Ride quality won't turn super shitty either.

Half inch spacer up front equals 1" lift.

17. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM
    Kalisimmonsmusic

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country steps
    I mean mainly just a daily driver. It's my only vehicle now so I wanted to get something nice. I do realize that when I do this ( I want to wait till I need new tires. There's only 3,500 miles on the truck ) I'm going to need new wheels and tires. Bigger ones. I just don't know what sizes because I'm still not sure if I want or can do a 6" lift or do the 2.5" spacer lift with the stock 1" lift that the truck comes with for a total of 3.5". You think that would be enough? I was worried about it not looking good.

krn_taco90 likes this.
  18. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    VangaSTL

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    IMHO 2.5 - 3" is ideal for these trucks. Anymore and you start putting unnecessary stress on other components. So again it comes down to what your using your truck for. Spacers are an ideal way to get the look of a lifted truck for a very cheap price (~300). Downside is they aren't ideal for offroading and could potentially cause catastrophic failure when pushed too hard. Your other option is to completely replace every suspension component which is the ideal way to lift but it costs a lot of money and your removing an already excellent suspension system that you have. Keep in mind to by upgrading a larger tire will give you lift as well. For example. Your Pro suspension with a 1" spacer on 285/70/r17 tire will put you 3" above TRD Off Road stock setup because the radius of a 285/70/17 is 1" greater than our stock 265/65/17

19. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    VangaSTL

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
  20. Jul 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    Kalisimmonsmusic

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country steps
    So if I do a strut spacer am I going to have to level anything? Or are the angles going to be ok? I don't want to put stress on anything. I realize bigger tires will give me more lift but bigger tires will also take a little bit of that "lift" look away cause the gap between the tire and body will be shorter since the tire is bigger. Idk maybe I'm reading too far into this.

Products Discussed in

To Top