1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma vs Colorado. What items are better on either truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mudrider300wsm, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    Hiker

Hiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    HotZona
    Tacoma - Toyota = Nordstrom
    Colorado - GM = KMart

...nuf said

2. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    wut

3. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Owned a 2006 Colorado regular cab 4x4, bought new. Traded it on my 2010 Tacoma regular cab 2wd 2 months ago.

I liked the Colorado other than that it went through the cam actuator so fast, think I replaced 3-4 of them in 5 years. The truck had 81k when I traded it.

What happened? The head went..04 to most of 06 had defective heads. GM placed a 7yr/100k extended warranty on the head. It was diagnosed in July.

1st dealer tells me it's $3000. I do some poking online and find out about the warranty, he says he didn't know because he's never seen a head go on them. A month later I call up to find out when to bring it in..the new service mgr says he doesn't believe it's the head and won't replace it under warranty. I give him the TSB# and he says he'll call me the next day. 3 days later I give up.

2nd dealer (where the old service mgr was) had the truck 2 weeks. $2000 because it needs a cam and timing chain too. He agrees it was all caused by the head, but that he doesn't have the ability to comp it..says I pay him and GM will refund me, he'll help me all he can.

After 6 weeks I finally get a rep at GM who says "oh no, he's supposed to call us and we authorize it..and we have before in this same case..but because you paid him we can't help". The service mgr then says he isn't helping me and it's not his job to give away work..said he's seen a lot of them need heads through his years and they haven't needed the other parts so mine must be normal..yes that's the same guy who told me 2 months prior he'd never seen a head go on them! A supervisor at GM then tells me he had to know about the TSB when he inputted my VIN# and agrees that he wasn't honest with me but that it's my tough crap.

THAT is what's wrong with the Colorado and GM, folks.

4. Dec 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    My father in law has a colorado and he says it's shit. If it weren't paid for he'd get rid of it. Something is always going wrong with it.

5. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Mine had an AM/FM that I was ripping out anyway so I never noticed it

6. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    I used to sell Chev's and always had a Colorado for a demo vehicle. Always drove Z71 crew cabs too. I did like them, and the fuel economy was good as way driving it around the city it was easy to park and and could carry my motorcycles to track days etc etc. I do like my tacoma much more, it's more comfortable, even easier on fuel, looks better, more powerful, much nicer interior, longer box, more storage options....the list goes on. When priced new, a fully loaded z71 crew cab 4x4 colorado is just as expensive as a trd sport double cab tacoma, which makes no since and I'm not sure why I used to sell so many of them. It was a no brainer for me when I was looking for a slightly used truck, the Tacoma was much easier to live with, with a nicer ride. As far as the comment on the horrible stock radio in a SR5 goes, I'm sure it was leaps and bounds ahead of the base Colorado radio....doesn't even have a cd player and only has 2 speakers in the doors. lol, you can also factory delete the rear seats in a extended cab colorado too, which also makes no sence.

7. Dec 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    i owned a colorado for a few years and traded it in for a tacoma and never looked back! the tacoma is better in every way...

8. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    I traded my Colorado for my Tacoma, I had 70, 000 miles on my Colorado, without one single problem! I just wanted something bigger, but not full size big. Thats why I now have a doublecab long bed Tacoma, so far I love it, BUT, I really miss the auto headlights and auto locking doors, that the Colorado had. I still can't figure out why Toyota doesn't offer that, it's mind boggling! !!

9. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Really? Are either of those features necessary? Can't see those being mind boggling for not being offered. We have Chevys at work and I don't use either of those features.

Products Discussed in

To Top