1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma was hit after first 6th month oil change.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kms254, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Kms254

Kms254 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    Overhead Compass/Temp, TRD Sport Suspension, Nitto EXO Grappler 265/70/17
    UPDATE Frame came in Pictures at the end of this post:

My wife took my Tacoma in for it's first 6th month/5k oil change. On the way home my wife had a green light and got hit by a lady in a RV. The lady in the RV ran the light and clocked my Tacoma at about4 45mph in the drivers front wheel. I was sick to my stomach with worry when she called(about her) and I raced over on my motorcycle. She is ok just some seatbelt lash on her neck/chest. the Tacoma did an outstanding job keeping her safe. Had se been in her fusion the outcome could have been much worse! She is now thinking about a 4 runner for her.

And for the pictures once it was at the tow yard.

11%252520-%2525201_21bb3655268760322e208b90da67da2ca2221f6f.jpg

And it turns out the RV that hit her was at one of the body shops that I stopped to talk to.
    11%252520-%2525201_e9d87db162077fb88a5de2d8775098bb46b269d5.jpg

I can tell I need a new door, both fenders, bumper grill, hood, tss edition wheel, tire, radiator, lower and upper a arm, strut, and tie rod. That is what I can tell from 5 min of walking around it.

Since it's an 11 with 4500 miles on it I doubt it's totaled. I'm worried that the frame is tweaked since it twisted the radiator and broke it. The body lines on the cab seem to be straight.

Does any one have any experience with the dealer collision shops? Better than a standalone shop? Will they use all oem parts versus reproduction parts? Would there cost to repair be higher to get it totaled so they sell a new truck?

Does Toyota have any warranty on their collision repair? Is there any benefit to using a dealer? Any disadvantage? Any advantage to going to a standalone shop?

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE

My new frame finally came in. I thought you guys might want some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two more weeks and I should have my truck back!

2. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Damn that sucks..glad your wife is okay.

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Bummer dude - glad the wife is ok!

As far as whether dealership collision/body shops are better or worse than standalone shops, I think that will vary.

I would just go around and talk to as many as you can - your insurance should allow you to use all new, OEM parts. That would be my first concern.

Then start deciding on a shop. I'm not sure that Toyota will be the one to warranty the body work, as their dealerships are just owned by larger companies with multiple lots (Penske is a big one).

When you're talking to the shops, just ask them all of these questions and see who sounds the most legit.

I'm assuming you are going to be using your insurance to cover all of this right? If so, it will be their call whether they total the truck, not a shop or dealership.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Fink

4. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Quo Fan

Quo Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Southwest Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road
    Nerf bars
    Glad you're OK. Don't let the insurance co tell you where to get the vehicle repaired. You can get it repaired at any facility you designate.

5. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    Glad to hear your wife is OK. I have the TSS Edition also. Mine is a 2008 I bought new in 2008. I love it. Where did you get the compass from. I've been wanting to do this mod for a while.

6. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    Hopefully.... they will total it if the frame is bent. But a lot of shops will convince the insurance co. that they can fix it.........but do you really want a vehicle thats been in a accident with frame damage? I wouldn't. I'd rather get $$$ and move on to different vehicle. No one will ever want it if you try to re-sell it. Carfax will show frame damage even if they fix it. You will loose value.

7. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    buy a new one that taco will never be the same :(

8. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    Kms254

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    I got the compass from a totaled 2009, easy swap. I have USAA and they have been a stand up company so far. I went to a few shops today and the USAA recommended one didn't have very good work. A lot of orange peal and their panels were still wavy. I could tell what they had fixed which is unacceptable. I've done paint and body as a hobby so I am familiar with what is right and wrong and how to spot rushed work.

9. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    Kms254

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    Do I really have a choice in the matter if it's totaled or not? It is really up to the estiments and the loss value right? Is that something I can push?

10. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    glad to hear ur wife is okay man. im pretty sure its all up to the adjuster. as said, if the frame is bent, it might be totaled

11. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Yes you can push them to total it if the frame damage is more than a couple of hours of repair in the estimate. What they do is determine repair costs vs value of the vehicle. But sometimes its not worth fixing even if they can do it for less than the value of the car.... if there is severe frame damage. After they write your estimate, look to see if there is frame damage, if so, how many hours of repair does the frame need? if it is more than 1-2 hrs, call your insurance, tell them you are not happy with the estimate and would like them to send out another adjuster to look at your vehicle. Usually they will find that there is more damage to frame than it is worth fixing and total it, if not, try to persuade them in that direction as much as you can. The body shops want work, so they will try to write estimates that get them work. Even if it means fiing your bent frame. But you really dont want to keep a vehicle with a bent frame...ever!

12. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    By the means of it, it doesn't look totaled to me..unless frame is severely twisted. That right there is easily $5k in OEM parts. Plus the labor..

If the company was smart, they would total it.

13. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    Kms254

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tacoma TSS
    With USAA there isn't any adjusters that come out and look at the vehicle. They just go by the quote that the body shop submits.

That is why I was thinking the dealer might be better. I figure the would rather give a quote that "totaled" the truck and sell me a new one vs fixing the current truck.

I figured sales numbers would motivate the dealer to "be on myside" so they can get another sale. Thus boosting their sales numbers!

14. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    good ol tacoma keeping wifes safe everywhere :) , goodluck with the repairs, i hope they can just give you a break and call it totaled, you deserve a new truck

15. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Happy everyone was OK. Toyota builds a pretty tough truck.

Find a shop whose work you like and have them do the estimate on the damage. Insist on OEM parts in the estimate.

I bet it's a lot closer to 10K in damage. My relatively minor incident last year was 10K and not nearly as much damage. I only had to have one fender and door skin replaced and no suspension/mechanical/frame work at all.

Ins companies have a percentage limit on how much of the value they will pay to have fixed vs eating the entire cost of the vehicle. Some will go as high as 90%.

The body shop industry is pretty well controlled by the insurance companies now. Ins companies are a lot smarter about the cost of repairs and the estimating software is all pretty much standardized so labor times per job are mostly fixed just like mechanical work is now. A hood takes x hours to replace/repaint. A fender takes another x hours, etc. There is very little wiggle room like there was even 15 years ago.

I have seen quality shops do some miraculous work on vehicles I thought could never be repaired and they come out as good or better than they left the factory.

I deal with body shop issues on a daily basis as part of my job. I used to work for an Ins co but don't anymore. :)

16. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    You might be OK then, having the dealer do the estimate, they are always the most expensive..lol

goodluck, keep us posted. hope to see you in a new ride soon or at least your old one looking good as new !

17. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Dang, I'm sick for you...only 4500 miles, but thank goodness she was in your truck instead of the car and she is ok. Trucks can be replaced. I just went through a repair job due to a deer and learned a little about the process. I have state farm and as with any insurance co. can take it anywhere, but if I used a preferred collision center there would be no adjuster to come out and the work would be guaranteed to my satisfaction by state farm. I later learned that to be a preferred collision center the shop has to use a certain percentage of oem parts, a certain percentage of aftermarket parts and a certain percentage of used parts:eek:. When i went to pick up the truck the fender flare and fender did not match so I had them repaint it. I dont think toyota would warranty the repair, I believe that would be up to each toyota dealer and I am sure some do. And as for USAA, you carry the #1 rated auto insurance there is so I dont think you are going to have any problems...you are in great hands. I went to my toyota dealers repair center because I felt they work on a lot of tacomas so they should have more experience on them than most and they did a good job in the end. Be sure you pick it up in daylight and look it over good before you drive it off their lot because once you take it home its harder to bring it back if you find something that doesnt look good.

18. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    My bet is the frame is not bent and it will not be totalled.

19. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    I'm gonna guess $8900

20. Nov 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    If it is close to totalled but just a little under the amount they will approve you can also make them pay you for the depreciation caused by it now having been in a wreck. That might push it over, still a nice check to get either way. I got rear ended hard in my lexus it was about 13k in damage the car had 200 miles on it so it still wasn't enough to total it but I told his insurance company I didn't think the car would be worth as much after having all that damage done they gave me a check for 6k for depreciation. And that was with no frame damage.

Products Discussed in

To Top